Push notifications

allan2103

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
hi folks...

how dows push notifications work on windows phone?

i mean, every time the lock screen comes up, it disconnects from wifi and 3g, right?

so i get disconnected from windows live messenger? or it becomes a "push" notification thing?

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I think WiFi turns off shortly after your screen locks. But I don't think 3G/4G ever turns off. I'm not sure what will happen to WL Messenger, I don't use it.

allan2103

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi speedtouch, it does not make sense, since WiFi is less battery hungry than any other type of connection. Don't you think?

And there's the issue regarding the cost of data transmissions, in WiFi you don't spend any money, which happens over 3g.

regarding wlm, I was talking about the one that runs together with the contacts hub, you never used it?

Thanks

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
All I can tell you is that if I leave my phone alone for a few minutes, then come back and unlock the screen, I can see it reconnecting to my WiFi. I would assume that means WiFi was turned off, right? I honestly don't know which uses less battery, WiFi or 3G/4G. I would tend to think you're right, though, about battery usage of the two.

Nope, I don't do any instant messaging. I just do texts. Rarely.

allan2103

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
hi speed!

yeah, it does turns of wifi by default... i read it somewhere else too, but it would be very strange if 3g keeped connected since it sucks more juice out of the battery (that?s a fact too)...

hmmmm i?ve read in a MS forum in portuguese that turning on the localization service on the phone turns on PUSH as well, so i was wondering it that would affect WLM...

let?s hope that someone can answer this for us, wich phone do u have?

All I can tell you is that if I leave my phone alone for a few minutes, then come back and unlock the screen, I can see it reconnecting to my WiFi. I would assume that means WiFi was turned off, right? I honestly don't know which uses less battery, WiFi or 3G/4G. I would tend to think you're right, though, about battery usage of the two.

Nope, I don't do any instant messaging. I just do texts. Rarely.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Hello again. :) As noted in my signature and my profile to the left, I have an HTC HD7. My wife has a Lumia 710. It is unfortunate that WiFi turns off so quickly. I am sure there is some sort of data connection going on even when WiFi is off, because my phone dings when a new email arrives. I hope someone can answer your question, too.

allan2103

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Sorry! My bad about the signature (I?m new in this forum).

I guess this is PUSH working, one great example about the way PUSH works is by the app IM+, you can set up google talk, skype, icq, wlm, anything there, you can close the app, and, if someone talks to you, it sends you a notification that someone talked to you, because your phone, is, somehow, connected to a MS push server...

Another thing about emails is that you are the one who tells the phone how many minutes the syncing will occur, that might be it...

I read in another forum that this "wifi" turning off is to save battery. It will save battery, for sure, but, well, it?s strange compared to android.

Hello again. :) As noted in my signature and my profile to the left, I have an HTC HD7. My wife has a Lumia 710. It is unfortunate that WiFi turns off so quickly. I am sure there is some sort of data connection going on even when WiFi is off, because my phone dings when a new email arrives. I hope someone can answer your question, too.

allan2103

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
hey speed, just did a few testes here, my phone is connected on my office wifi network and it has 3g on, i have surfed to a "my ip" kind of site, and my phone IP is the same as the computers on my network. I turned off wifi and them the IP changed (since it was, now, from my carrier)...

read this Mobile Internet Connection | Data Connectivity | Windows Phone 7

it explains that wifi haver priority over 3g, and USB connection to a computer with internet has priority over all.

:D

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Sorry! My bad about the signature (I?m new in this forum).

I guess this is PUSH working, one great example about the way PUSH works is by the app IM+, you can set up google talk, skype, icq, wlm, anything there, you can close the app, and, if someone talks to you, it sends you a notification that someone talked to you, because your phone, is, somehow, connected to a MS push server...

Another thing about emails is that you are the one who tells the phone how many minutes the syncing will occur, that might be it...

I read in another forum that this "wifi" turning off is to save battery. It will save battery, for sure, but, well, it?s strange compared to android.

It's no problem at all. Welcome to the forum! It's nice to have you here.

Actually, with email you can set it to "as items arrive" which means push. So emails also have push notifications. I wonder if WiFi is turned on every 15 minutes to perform data communications like checking IM, email, etc.?

I think Android also turns off the WiFi after a few minutes, too. That's what happened on my HTC EVO 3D.

hey speed, just did a few testes here, my phone is connected on my office wifi network and it has 3g on, i have surfed to a "my ip" kind of site, and my phone IP is the same as the computers on my network. I turned off wifi and them the IP changed (since it was, now, from my carrier)...

read this Mobile Internet Connection | Data Connectivity | Windows Phone 7

it explains that wifi haver priority over 3g, and USB connection to a computer with internet has priority over all.

:D

Nice! Well, it's good to know that WP7 uses WiFi first. That way you're not wasting data on 3G or 4G.

allan2103

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
It's no problem at all. Welcome to the forum! It's nice to have you here.

Actually, with email you can set it to "as items arrive" which means push. So emails also have push notifications. I wonder if WiFi is turned on every 15 minutes to perform data communications like checking IM, email, etc.?

Yeah, i guess emails also have push notifications, i think that the push servers can turn our connection on to send the notification, regarding emails, probably it really turns wifi on... i dunno

I think Android also turns off the WiFi after a few minutes, too. That's what happened on my HTC EVO 3D.

you can set android to never sleep policy, so wifi will always be on, if it sleeps, 3g turns on (if it was already on)

Nice! Well, it's good to know that WP7 uses WiFi first. That way you're not wasting data on 3G or 4G.

yeap, that?s what i was trying to say earlier, im testing my lumia connected with usb, it?s not receiving the internet from my notebook as stated on the link

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
To clarify, Data (3G, whatever) stays on all the time, but goes into a low power state when the screen turns off. So your phone is always connected to Microsoft's servers. All push notifications, from Microsoft or otherwise, come through Microsoft servers. The amount of data that gets pushed to your phone though is minimal (email headers and text-no images, toast, etc.).

WiFi turns off 30 seconds after your screen turns off, unless you have an active connection, like streaming music or downloading a very large file. Then it will remain on till the task is complete. Note that with data turned off, WiFi will turn on every two hours, while your phone is sleep, and check for updates, push, etc.

WiFi always takes precedence over 3G. So with WiFi and your screen on, you are using that to transfer data. Some apps though, like Fox News spend on 3G for a connection and will not update automatically over WiFi. Not sure if there as others.

Prior to turning on WiFi 24/7, I was using nearly 2GB of data per month. Since turning WiFi on (with 3G still on) I consistently use 200-225MB/month. I am on an unlimited plan, but my WiFi speed are 4-5 times faster.

Actually, all well thought out and pretty energy efficient. Although, as some have noted, might mt be bad to have WiFi always on when data is disabled. Carriers probably don't like that though.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

allan2103

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
So, you are saying that, even if WiFi is set to off it will turn on eventually for push?

I always used WiFi with 3g on, but on android the 3g icon disappears completely, if WiFi goes off or have a bad signal 3g comes up.

gregoron

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
To my understanding yes. Push will work regardless of your WiFi or network connection. I have IM+ and have gotten push notifications without any problems.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
So, you are saying that, even if WiFi is set to off it will turn on eventually for push?

I always used WiFi with 3g on, but on android the 3g icon disappears completely, if WiFi goes off or have a bad signal 3g comes up.
Typically, you phone will maintain a constant low power 3G connection so Microsoft knows where you are, and can push something to you within a few seconds. With 3G off, and WiFi on, it appears that WiFi will wake about every 2 hours and check to see if anything needs to be pushed. I discovered this when running overnight (off charger) tests with WiFi only. After finding mail notifications in the morning I dug a little deeper. Someone else actually checked their WiFi router logs and discovered the every 2 hour wakeup call. With both 3G and WiFi off though, you won't get anything though, except texts which coe over your voice channel.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
WiFi does use less power than 3G if they are on 100%. But WiFi has no push mechanism built into the standard. GSM/3G/LTE do. Just like your phone can be woken when it receives a phone call or text, think of push notifications in a similar way.

gregoron

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
but, if the connections are off, how does the phone receive the push notification?

Others pls correct me if I am wrong, but even with WiFi and data connection off you should still get push messages via SMS. Email won't get pushed though, but most emails allow for SMS notifications for new mail. You can also manually leave your WiFi on by turning off your data connection via cellular settings.

allan2103

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Others pls correct me if I am wrong, but even with WiFi and data connection off you should still get push messages via SMS. Email won't get pushed though, but most emails allow for SMS notifications for new mail. You can also manually leave your WiFi on by turning off your data connection via cellular settings.

SMS arrives cause your are using a cell phone, which is connected to your carrier... The same happens with calls, the carrier signal neve sleeps...

I dunno if push works this way, coming trough the carrier signal... Windows phone, by default, turns off both data and WiFi after a few time whenever the screen turns off.

And Microsoft really can know where is our phone because of the location system that we've turned on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon