Anyone get the Tango update?

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
It offers several improvements, i.e. fixes the keyboard sound lagging, wifi driver hanging and popping sound when changing tracks (which was actually fixed in 8107), but be aware, it will prevent interop unlock in the future! Make sure you're still unlocked on Tango before upgrading, otherwise you'll have to restore from a backup.

I know this because I neglected to make one and am now SOL without interop.

Do we know for certain whether it's the Tango update or the Samsung update that kills the interop unlock?

It would help those doing the force update on Zune if they knew which as they could halt the update before the relevant stage, and apply the prevent relock XAP before the final stages.

anon(5334066)

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Do we know for certain whether it's the Tango update or the Samsung update that kills the interop unlock?

It would help those doing the force update on Zune if they knew which as they could halt the update before the relevant stage, and apply the prevent relock XAP before the final stages.

Tango relocks your phone, then the Samsung update prevents it from being unlocked again. So upgrade to Tango using cab sender or disconnect from zune before the sammy update is installed, reunlock using the method described here: Manually snagging Tango update? Be forewarned, possible solution - Windows Phone Hacker then install the Samsung update. As for your question regarding MMS, mine is no longer working. The Samsung update prevents provxml editting, so I figure that's the same reason i can't successfully save my MMS settings. Lucky me, with no backup, I've essentially got myself a POS phone until WP8/I rage return to the LG Quantum. Be forewarned, make sure you follow the steps to unlock again before updating the Samsung firmware, and be prepared to potentially have MMS not working with no known fix. :mad:

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
But does the Sammy update prevent Samsungs own wireless settings manager app from working? Can I not set the MMS there?

If not, could I get to Tango, make sure I'm still unlocked and deploy provxml method BEFORE applying the Sammy update so MMS is already working?

Plus, I'm on Straight Talk and not T-Mobile, does that make a difference?

Surely Samsung isn't deliberately crippling it's own app?

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express Pro

anon(5334066)

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
But does the Sammy update prevent Samsungs own wireless settings manager app from working? Can I not set the MMS there?

If not, could I get to Tango, make sure I'm still unlocked and deploy provxml method BEFORE applying the Sammy update so MMS is already working?

Plus, I'm on Straight Talk and not T-Mobile, does that make a difference?

Surely Samsung isn't deliberately crippling it's own app?

It (wireless manager) no longer works for me. Not sure about anyone else, since none of the kind Focus S owners in this forum/XDA will reply.

Yes, you can still use ProvXML in Tango. (BEFORE installing the Sammy firmware)

I'm on Bell Canada, so I have no clue. If you apply with provxml before installing the sammy firmware, you should be fine. I don't know for sure if the wireless manager app was actually broken by any of this, similar problems have occurred for people in the past, however mine worked out of the box when unlocked on Bell and now I can't even get it to save MMS profiles. There's a default MMS profile that you can attempt to change, however attempting to save after changing the MMSC server info in the profile will revert it to default values of either AT&T or whatever test bed you had selected within the GRPS app.

Honestly I'm considering smashing this phone. I love WP, I really do but since I upgraded to the Focus S, I've had nothing but problems. Maybe I'll buy a Lumia 900 to keep me sane until WP8 is released. Of course, had I not neglected to make a backup, I wouldn't be in this situation at all (no interop/root, no mms) right now. So I completely accept it's my own fault. I can live without interop/root (Lumia 900), but MMS is essential for me.:mad:

On a positive note, the Samsung firmware update fixes/improves several things, including screen responsiveness along with that annoying hanging wifi driver.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I understand how frustrating that must be for you. Could you not perhaps use an app like Whatsapp or Kik messenger which are both cross platform to send the picture messages to the recipient? That's what did before I interop unlocked my OG Focus so I could finally do MMS with Straight Talk. I mean, the Focus S is a really great device, it'd be a shame to kick it in over MMS when there are alternatives. :)

anon(5334066)

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I understand how frustrating that must be for you. Could you not perhaps use an app like Whatsapp or Kik messenger which are both cross platform to send the picture messages to the recipient? That's what did before I interop unlocked my OG Focus so I could finally do MMS with Straight Talk. I mean, the Focus S is a really great device, it'd be a shame to kick it in over MMS when there are alternatives. :)

I do use Kik quite a bit, however it's a pain if the contact needs to sign up first :\ I agree it's a great device but my WP experience has constantly been degrading since I got it.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I do use Kik quite a bit, however it's a pain if the contact needs to sign up first :\ I agree it's a great device but my WP experience has constantly been degrading since I got it.

Another option is TextPlus. It's a free service and the recipients don't have to sign up - it will send texts to any mobile number in your address book. The only catch is it assigns you a "telephone numer" that only the service uses (your actual cell number stays the same) - but as long as your friends add that number to their address book for you as a secondary cell number then they'll be able to send and receive texts from you as per normal. You can have attachements as per other messaging services but acts a bit more like traditional texting.

Might be worth a look?

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Full update to Tango completed

I just wanted to follow up and say that I successfully updated my Focus S to Tango using the 'cab send' method.

In doing so I was able to KEEP my Interop unlock AND MMS settings.

You do have to do it one stage at a time and it's crucial that you do NOT apply the Samsung Firmware update until the very end AFTER you've confirmed each step. It's also CRUCIAL to be inairplane mode and have your internet disconnected while doing the updates to make sure your phone doesn't relock.

Here's a brief outline of steps I took:

1. Created a backup of my 7720 Mango phone state (how the phone arrived). Used the tool mentioned in this thread. This is also where you'll get all the cab files you need.
  2. 2. Used Heathcliff's Version and Language info xap file (also from above thread) to make sure I knew which language packs to download - in my case, all 22 of them!
  3. Split my files in to two update folders, 7.10.8107.79-7.10.8112.7 and 7.10.8112.7-7.10.8773.98
  4. Sideloaded the relock prevent xap file from here. This is also a good place to read up on how to do this update properly.
  5. Double checked I was interop unlocked and MMS settings were working
  6. Used cab sender method to upgrade from 8107 to 8112, languages and OS.
  7. Checked unlock status and deployed relock xap (the Tango update fills in the MS URL in the registry which "phones home" and relocks the phone. The xap file blanks this out again. Give root priveliges using WP7 Root Tools and activate relock xap.
  8. Checked MMS still working.
  9. Used cab sender method to update 8112 - 8773. Rinse and repeat checking interop and MMS and redoing relock xap for good mesaure.
  10. At this time I also deployed my Internet / MMS settings via provxml method and applied. Again, double checked all was working.
  11. MADE BACKUP OF PHONE IN THIS FULLY WORKING STATE BEFORE APPLYING FINAL SAMSUNG FIRMWARE UPDATE
  12. Applied Samsung Firmware update.

So at this stage I had a phone that was Interop unlocked but I ran into a hiccup with the MMS. I used the Samsung Wireless Manager and noticed that the Samsung Firmware update had changed all the MMS setting back to the AT&T defaults.

I used ##634## (Diagnosis app) and *#9908* to get to provisioning menu and because I had already deployed and saved the Internet / MMS provxml file it appeared in the list and allowed me to apply it.

Rebooted phone and everything was, and still is working.

So I'm running a Samsung Focus S - fully updated to Tango with Internet AND MMS working on Straight Talk.

Sweeeeeeeet!

Anyhow, thought it might be of help to some people. :D

Oh, one more thing. For the people who have tried this and ended up relocked due to Samsung Firmware with no backup, I know you've been trying to get the Samsung Wireless manager to deploy MMS settings with no luck.

In playing with that app, I noticed it is VERY particular about how the information is listed for MMS settings to work. I've listed below everything that I can see from that section as I believe HOW some of these sections are written is KEY to getting this to work.

1. In Wireless Manager go over to APN
  2. Make sure Automatic APN is UNCHECKED
  3. Click edit apn
  4. you should see an entry called mms_line. If it's called something else I believe this is part of the problem
  5. Click on it to edit it
  6. Settings as follows:
  7. APN name = mms_line
  8. Profile category = mms
  9. MMSC (whatever your provider has told you. For Straight Talk it's http://mmsc.cingular.com
  10. APN = Whatever your provider has told you. For Straight Talk it's att.mvno
  11. Auth type = none (unless your provider is different)
  12. Username = blank (unless your provider is different)
  13. Password = blank (unless your provider is different)
  14. Proxy address - Whatever your provider gave you. For Straight Talk it's 66.209.11.33
  15. Proxy domain = blank (unless your provider is different)
  16. Proxy port = Whatever your provider gave you. For Straight Talk it's 80

Hit the save button and that should be it. Reboot for good measure.

That's it folks - I hope all that information is useful to someone. :cool:

devilhound1

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Got it. Came home to update notification on Tuesday. The little bug fixes really make my phone much nicer to use. Also I could be wrong but seems like WiFi is working way better.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

dazza9075

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to follow up and say that I successfully updated my Focus S to Tango using the 'cab send' method.

In doing so I was able to KEEP my Interop unlock AND MMS settings.

You do have to do it one stage at a time and it's crucial that you do NOT apply the Samsung Firmware update until the very end AFTER you've confirmed each step. It's also CRUCIAL to be inairplane mode and have your internet disconnected while doing the updates to make sure your phone doesn't relock.

Here's a brief outline of steps I took:

1. Created a backup of my 7720 Mango phone state (how the phone arrived). Used the tool mentioned in this thread. This is also where you'll get all the cab files you need.
  2. 2. Used Heathcliff's Version and Language info xap file (also from above thread) to make sure I knew which language packs to download - in my case, all 22 of them!
  3. Split my files in to two update folders, 7.10.8107.79-7.10.8112.7 and 7.10.8112.7-7.10.8773.98
  4. Sideloaded the relock prevent xap file from here. This is also a good place to read up on how to do this update properly.
  5. Double checked I was interop unlocked and MMS settings were working
  6. Used cab sender method to upgrade from 8107 to 8112, languages and OS.
  7. Checked unlock status and deployed relock xap (the Tango update fills in the MS URL in the registry which "phones home" and relocks the phone. The xap file blanks this out again. Give root priveliges using WP7 Root Tools and activate relock xap.
  8. Checked MMS still working.
  9. Used cab sender method to update 8112 - 8773. Rinse and repeat checking interop and MMS and redoing relock xap for good mesaure.
  10. At this time I also deployed my Internet / MMS settings via provxml method and applied. Again, double checked all was working.
  11. MADE BACKUP OF PHONE IN THIS FULLY WORKING STATE BEFORE APPLYING FINAL SAMSUNG FIRMWARE UPDATE
  12. Applied Samsung Firmware update.

So at this stage I had a phone that was Interop unlocked but I ran into a hiccup with the MMS. I used the Samsung Wireless Manager and noticed that the Samsung Firmware update had changed all the MMS setting back to the AT&T defaults.

I used ##634## (Diagnosis app) and *#9908* to get to provisioning menu and because I had already deployed and saved the Internet / MMS provxml file it appeared in the list and allowed me to apply it.

Rebooted phone and everything was, and still is working.

So I'm running a Samsung Focus S - fully updated to Tango with Internet AND MMS working on Straight Talk.

Sweeeeeeeet!

Anyhow, thought it might be of help to some people. :D

Oh, one more thing. For the people who have tried this and ended up relocked due to Samsung Firmware with no backup, I know you've been trying to get the Samsung Wireless manager to deploy MMS settings with no luck.

In playing with that app, I noticed it is VERY particular about how the information is listed for MMS settings to work. I've listed below everything that I can see from that section as I believe HOW some of these sections are written is KEY to getting this to work.

1. In Wireless Manager go over to APN
  2. Make sure Automatic APN is UNCHECKED
  3. Click edit apn
  4. you should see an entry called mms_line. If it's called something else I believe this is part of the problem
  5. Click on it to edit it
  6. Settings as follows:
  7. APN name = mms_line
  8. Profile category = mms
  9. MMSC (whatever your provider has told you. For Straight Talk it's http://mmsc.cingular.com
  10. APN = Whatever your provider has told you. For Straight Talk it's att.mvno
  11. Auth type = none (unless your provider is different)
  12. Username = blank (unless your provider is different)
  13. Password = blank (unless your provider is different)
  14. Proxy address - Whatever your provider gave you. For Straight Talk it's 66.209.11.33
  15. Proxy domain = blank (unless your provider is different)
  16. Proxy port = Whatever your provider gave you. For Straight Talk it's 80

Hit the save button and that should be it. Reboot for good measure.

That's it folks - I hope all that information is useful to someone. :cool:

any chance of seeing the xml data for your MMS/internet restore xap please? O2 settings were already there in the wireless manager so whilst I can see what the settings are, the layout of the xml and reg entries themselves are bit of a mystery!

Just about to update to tango, double check it all is unlocked and healthy, backup then attempt a restore of the backup and if all is well, hit the firmware update, but the MMS settings in the diagnostic app would be critical, as if I understand this correctly, there's no way to add them back in again if they are not already apart of the diagnostic app list of xml data

the whole thing stinks of a Samsung cock up if you ask me, presumably nothing will be done until the next WP updates get rolled out

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)