PDF files now appear in the Office Hub?

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
After updating the Adobe Flash app to the newest version, I noticed today that my PDF's now show up in the Office Hub as well. If you click on it, it simply opens it with the Adobe app (it's actually going to be faster for me to open PDF's now since I have Office pinned and not Adobe).

Was this feature always available? Or is this new?

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
After updating the Adobe Flash app to the newest version, I noticed today that my PDF's now show up in the Office Hub as well. If you click on it, it simply opens it with the Adobe app (it's actually going to be faster for me to open PDF's now since I have Office pinned and not Adobe).

Was this feature always available? Or is this new?
Are you sure these are not the pdf-files on your Skydrive? Because, as I remember, all the pdf files stored on Skydrive show up in the Office Hub. After clicking such a pdf it should say "downloading file" and open it afterwords. But you still should not be able to see all the other pdfs on your phone

I am not able to check it by myself right now, but could you check it out? Would be awesome if you were right :) (but somehow I can't imagine that being true)

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure these are not the pdf-files on your Skydrive? Because, as I remember, all the pdf files stored on Skydrive show up in the Office Hub. After clicking such a pdf it should say "downloading file" and open it afterwords. But you still should not be able to see all the other pdfs on your phone

I am not able to check it by myself right now, but could you check it out? Would be awesome if you were right :) (but somehow I can't imagine that being true)
actually you're right. I did download that file from skydrive...

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
:(

haha, than we have to hope for the future again :)

(but in fact I don't mind having this kind of a separation after the pdf-reader-update. Of course it would be awesome to have all the documents in the office hub, but all in all it's ok the way it is. At least for me)

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey my friend!

I just found out something amazing (at least for me^^) and a dumb bug! Inspired by your post, I just tried something out.

In fact it is possible to save .pdfs in your Office Hub!

So here is how it works:

//A small info about my pdfs and myself:

I have a lot of .pdfs on my Computer. Actually I'm dreaming of a W8 tablet for reading all of those on the bus or train or something... One can say, that I really hate it to read stuff on my computer. I have to sit in front of it all the day (because of the fact, that I'm studying design and have to paint and design stuff on my pc). So after buying my HTC 7 Pro (Arrive) I tried it out and wanted to read some of the pdfs...but because of the fact that the Adobe Reader just s***ed back then, I didn't even try it a second time...

So after the update I was amazed about the improvements. Of course...the reader is still very slow, but it's actually possible to read bigger pdf-files now... (and you can use bookmarks)

After reading your post I wanted to try it out again. Just see what the office hub ist capable of.

So I did this:

I have a folder with some books of mine in digital form on my pc. Example: "Awesome Book 1" (formats: .pdf (normal pdf), .epub (Ebook format) and .rtf (word format). So I uploaded "Awesome Book 1" on my Skydrive (.pdf and .rtf formats) and checked my Office Hub.

As expected my Phone showed me both files. I was able to open both (the .rtf file with Word and the .pdf one with Adobe Reader).

Now comes the interesting part:

I wanted to try out Word. Just wanted to know how it works as a "book-reader"... So after "clicking" and holding on the file, my phone told me: "'Download now' and "View Properties". I chose "download now". After downloading the file I was able to find it on my Phone: open Office Hub --> "Locations" (choose Phone) --> "documents"

After that I asked myself: "What will happen, if I download the pdf-version the same way?"

So I did it: went to "locations" again. clicked on "Skydrive", found the .pdf version and click-holded on the file. Once Again "download now" and "view properties" came up.

After clicking on "download now" it downloaded just fine. After downloading the file your phone will add "downloaded a minute ago" under the file. Now you can "click-hold" (oh man...how do you call that^^) the just downloaded file and will see "download now", "view properties" and "delete from phone". So I thought "ok...the file is on my phone now...let's see if I can find it the same way I did with the .rtf-file."

I went to "locations" again and clicked on "Phone"...But as expected: nothin there...just the .rtf file from the first test... After that I checked the Adobe Reader...but SURPRISE! nothing here either...no "Awesome Book 1.pdf"... hmm...so I guess that's just a bug...I mean my phones tells me that this file was downloaded...and if I open it, it just says "connecting..." on the top...and not "downloading..." as usual when trying to open a file on skydrive...

So here I got an idea... what if the file is really on the phone, but because of the WP-architecture I just can't find it...

After opening my Office Hub again I realized: in the "documents" section you can see the laste viewed files. "Awesome book 1.pdf" was there too... So i deactivated all of my internet connections (WIFI and Cellular) on my phone, went back to "documents" and tried to open "Awesome Book 1.pdf" and tadaaaa....it opens just fine... The phone shows "downloading..." for a few seconds, but after that the files opens without any problems...

So this way you can use the very nice and clean Office Hub architecture to read all of your pdfs on your phone (if they were downloaded from skydrive) without an internet connection. You can go to "locations" and choose "SkyDrive". Your Phone will say "Can't connect to SkyDrive" with the button "retry". Just ignore it and tap the "back arrow" button on your phone (left to the windows button). The message with the warning will go away. After that you can browse through all your files from SkyDrive. The ones you already downloaded on your phone can be opened!

I hope that's some kind of a nice-to-know thing for all of you :) I for myself will use this for sure...

Just two issues: you can not "pin-to-start" the pdf-files. Even though you can see them on "documents" in the Office Hub

AND: I don't know why, but the Adobe Reader goes nuts after doing all the stuff I wrote here... It adds "Awesome Book 1" to "recently viewed" and "documents" (section in Adobe Reader and NOT the Office Hub) every time you open it... so after a while I got 5 "Awesome Book 1" entries in "recently viewed" AND "documents" :(

Acutally that's the bug... even if you do everything "right" and don't try to trick your phone, every time you open a .pdf File from the Office Hub (the pdf file is located on SkyDrive and is being downloaded for reading it) a new entry will appear in your Adobe Reader...that actually s**ks! So if you want to download pdf files on your phone and read/browse them with Adobe Reader you should send them to yourself with email...On that way you will not be able to open them with the Office Hub and your Adobe Reader will not create an huge amount of new entries...

edit:
ok it seems to be an Adobe-Reader issue...Because every time you open a pdf-file the phone/reader saves it... Example: you go to google and search for a pdf file. After finding one you try to open it. The IE will tell you, that the file is being downloaded. After that you will be able to read it...Every time you do that, two entries will appear in your Adobe Reader: one in the "documents"- and one in the "recently viewed"-list. So if you open the same file (!) for three times...the first time it will be downloaded, the second and third time IE will not download ist, because you already have it on your phone...BUT: Adobe Reader will add 2 entries each time...

Last edited:

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
It's kind of messy how everything is organised. I'd like to see some generic folders that apps can access, such as a "documents" directory where PDFs and Office files alike can be stored, a "ringtones" directory where third-party apps can add ringtones or perhaps play them as timers...

Word 2013 has PDF reading built-in, so I wonder if we will see native PDF support in WP8.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
damn true! I hope we will have some kind of improvement here (on wp7.8) too...

edit: ok it seems to be an Adobe-Reader issue...Because every time you open a pdf-file the phone/reader saves it... Example: you go to google and search for a pdf file. After finding one you try to open it. The IE will tell you, that the file is being downloaded. After that you will be able to read it...Every time you do that, two entries will appear in your Adobe Reader: one in the "documents"- and one in the "recently viewed"-list. So if you open the same file (!) for three times...the first time it will be downloaded, the second and third time IE will not download ist, because you already have it on your phone...BUT: Adobe Reader will add 2 entries each time...

I'll send Adobe a Bug Report dealing with this...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon