Thoughts about how to get the 920 at the best price while still under contract

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I'm willing to pay full price for the 920 but like everyone I'd like to get it as cheap as possible. I've had the 900 since it came out in April and that is when my contract started. What are your thoughts?

Buy no contract(estimate)
$599

Get a new line and break it:
$99(phone)+$36(activation fee)+$325(ETF)+$40(second line one month fee maybe?)
$500

Not sure this is feasible but what do you think?
Pay the ETF on my phone, would that make me eligible for a new discounted phone?
$99(phone)+$36(activation fee)+($325-$70ish)(ETF)
$390

Am I missing something? Is the last option even possible? Anyone work for AT&T that knows?
Thanks!

eriengel

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Couldn't you just cancel the data plan on the 10$ a month line, say the phone broke or something and you will use a non smart phone on it so. 99$ phone + 36$ activation 240$ extra line

=375$

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I'm willing to pay full price for the 920 but like everyone I'd like to get it as cheap as possible. I've had the 900 since it came out in April and that is when my contract started. What are your thoughts?

Buy no contract(estimate)
$599

Get a new line and break it:
$99(phone)+$36(activation fee)+$325(ETF)+$40(second line one month fee maybe?)
$500

Not sure this is feasible but what do you think?
Pay the ETF on my phone, would that make me eligible for a new discounted phone?
$99(phone)+$36(activation fee)+($325-$70ish)(ETF)
$390

Am I missing something? Is the last option even possible? Anyone work for AT&T that knows?
Thanks!

Breaking the ETF on your line would cancel your line. AT&T has no method of breaking your contract but keeping your line active.

Otherwise the first two options are do-able... you also have...

Get a new line, but don't break it (only if not on a DataShare plan):
$99(phone)+($36 activation fee)
Once you do that, buy or find a cheap basic phone, take your shiny new Lumia and put it on your current line, and take the basic phone and put it on the new line. You pay $10 a month for the remainder of the new line's contract, so add $240.
$375

You can also call AT&T and complain about the activation fee. -$36

Win.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Some reports have the full price at $499.

And if this is true It makes my second option useless since Option 1 and 2 would be the same price and option 3 is definitely out. I still like the add a line for $10 but unfortunately I am on a family share plan so that doesn't work for me but it could work well for others.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
You can also wait for the AT&T 920s (locked) to start showing on ebay in a month or two .. they will be way under the unlocked price. If the 900 is anything to go by, they should be selling for about $250-300

What I want to know is if you buy unlocked, can you use it on AT&T's $15 unlimited media net plan, or are they going to block those. They don't block Symbian devices, I've been using it for a while and it works fine..

JdeFalconr

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I also picked up the 900 right when it came out this April. I called this morning and while they didn't have specific too-early upgrade pricing for the 920 in their computers yet the rep guessed that the too-early upgrade price would be similar to that of other phones at $250 plus the phone's two-year contract cost, so a total of $350.

Of course this could change once they receive official pricing. I'm holding out hope that Nokia/M$ worked some sort of deal similar to Apple for better early upgrading for the 920. The AT&T rep noted that I could early upgrade now to an iPhone 5 at a reduced too-early upgrade fee, although technically I'm not eligible to upgrade to another phone right now without that $250. I plan to call tomorrow for official word.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
you break contract, you lose number? perhaps thats why you dont want to do that, im sure somebodyc an confirm this if this is the case.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
what's really great about this is that our starting price point is really low.. $100, so from that point on there will be all sorts of good deals around the web. We should be able to get the att locked 920 for anywhere between $250 and $400, which is still a great price for that kind of tech.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I web chatted with AT&T and they did confirm that the only way to get out of the contract is to leave them. You cannot pay the etf just to end the contract and stay with them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs