Anyone have the Acer w510?

CollinFX45

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Hey All,

This is killing me: my fiance ordered me the W510 at the $399 sale and it's been sitting under the tree for a few weeks now. How painful is it to stare at that box every morning? I almost can't take it anymore...

Anyway, looking forward to joining the crowd with some more useful feedback on December 25th and approximately 12:01am :)

-Collin-

Mark Nicholson

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I bought the w510 on sale at MS store on cyber monday. I sent it back for a replacement (which I'm waiting for) as there was a problem with the builtin mic. It wouldn't work properly - it had low, muffled sound in Metro apps - unless I had something plugged into the audio output jack! Plug in external speakers, mic worked fine, removed the speakers, mic kaput. Amazon.com has the w510 with 64gb and keyboard on sale for $609 (after you deduct the $100 gift card you get) currently. Great deal if you don't have any problems with the system although I've read of problems with the keyboard.

CollinFX45

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I do sort of feel like most of this is "earlier adopter" tax we're all paying, but there do seem to be a fair number of reports on the build quality/reliability of this device. Kind of makes me bummed out. The Surface is built like a tank and I love it, but no Cisco AnyConnect implementation on the horizon means it would stay in my home and literally just be a couch potato device. So, I'm forced into one of these "full" Windows 8 devices, even though I really don't want the full Win8 experience.

Anyway, sorry to hear for the troubles. Hope the next one works better!

-Collin-

bpcooper14

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
That is what I was thinking too. I want to get the Surface but want the ability to run legacy programs. I don't do anything too intense so the Atom should be fine for me. I don't want to have to shell out what they are asking for the Surface Pro.

dang121

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Finally got the new unit from MS. This unit is so much better in build quality then the previous unit. Acer really need to keeps their quality control up. I would have to say that this unit is better then the Surface, it really like this. Thank god that I bough it on cyber Monday.

yohojones

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm having bluetooth prolems with mine. Every time i shut the screen down it loses connection to my bluetooth keyboard. I have to turn the bluetooth off and on again in the settings wireless preference screen for it to pick up my keyboard again. I've done the firmware and driver updates and it's still doing it.

yohojones

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I managed to fix the keyboard disconnected by setting the power management for the wifi card to not allow the device to be turned off. I now have the bonus of having the device sometimes not come out of sleep and being forced to reset it. *sigh*

ArmisLt

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I have the acer w510, I really like. I was gonna buy a laptop with much better specs than the w510 but then I thought those specs aren't better than ultrabook. So I decided to keep it just gonna buy the dock (150$) and It will set me to about 580$ with taxes for both dock and tablet.

It also gets hot where the NFC sticker is... If I charge and try to do something with the tablet, it gets even hotter. Not liking the fact that it gets either hot or warm but I can only return for in store credit for 14 more days. I like it anyway.

crosssmash

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I just got my 64GB version, have briefly played with it and happy about the performance. I've been trying to find the protective case for this model without success and wonder anyone know where to find the right case. All the cases available in the market are not really fitting well with ports positions. Found one in the Ebay but shipping from China so not sure I can count on that?

wokaz80

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
well i have this problem with my bluetooth mouse but only if i use a wi-fi connection (basically, both bluetooth and wi-fi are on). But if wi-fi is off, bluetooth works just fine (im using a 3G modem with the usb to micro usb converter for the internet)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henrysmith