Anyone have the Acer w510?

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Would love to hear what you think. I have the Surface RT and really like it but I was SOOO tempted to get the w510 when the Microsoft store had it for 399 (tablet only) on Black Friday. I am curious to see how the performance is compared the the Surface RT. I think it would also be neat having the full Windows 8 OS on a tablet.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I have the W500 running Win8 Pro. There are a few others here with this device. The W500 runs surprisingly well given its specs. You really cannot compare it to the Surface RT as the OS's are very different.

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I ordered one and I had the shipped it to my brother since he's in the U.S. and I'm not. He's going to bring it here christmas time. Since I can't test it out, I told him that he can use it in the meantime. He got pretty scared and I had to push him to use it which was very funny to me. I'll just do the push button reset when I get it. It's probably a better test since he's a Mac person.

kj_wp

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes,

I have the 32GB model that was sale at Microsoft store.

What are you interested in?

My initial comments
- Build quality is not as good as Android tablets (e.g. Asus Transformer)
- Good performance but I've had stalls when the device didn't respond. These are less than 5 secs and happens mostly in deskptop multitasking
- NO GPS
- about 10GB on SSD space available
- best $399 I've spend on a tablet
- so the most limiting items is the 10GB of space
- tablet only needs a case. You can actually hear it creak when holding one side
- the touch screen is VERY responsive or maybe a better word is reactive. The touch response is immediate

Send your questions and I can try to run a few tests.
So far I really like it.:excited:

martinblank64

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I have a Surface RT and my friend has the W510 which he got for the $399 deal. It's a decent tablet and the fact that it runs full Windows 8 is nice too. MAJOR downside compared to the Surface though? The build quality. It's a night and day difference. First, the W510 is ALL plastic. That isn't necessarily bad, as there are plenty of sturdy plastic devices. Not so with the W510, unfortunately. If you make light twisting movements on it, the whole tablet visibly bends and you can hear creaks. The build quality of the Surface is 1000x better.

dang121

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have both the surface rt and this Acer iconia w510. Yes, the build quality is not the greatest but it a very good tablet. The interesting things is that it came with NFC. Also, does anyone experiencing it getting hot on the upper right corner near the NFC sticker during use? My get real warm so I just want to know if it just the one I got and should I exchange it.

vtan

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I have the W510 as well and did notice that it gets warm around the NFC sticker but not the rest of the tablet. Strange. It's only warm though and not hot.
Vince

dang121

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it does get pretty warm. Anyway, I might wait a while to see what other atom window 8 tablet is out to compare the build quality. I really like being able to run full window 8 on a tablet. Can do lot of stuff on this device vs the iPad. Hopefully there will be other window 8 tablet showing up. Went to best buy and they have 1 tablet and it not even a window 8 table. No wonder window 8 tablet is not selling.

vtan

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I think there are a few reasons why Win 8 tablets aren't selling but not having them in retail locations is certainly a large contributor to that. At least some are finally coming in now as I see the Samsung ATIV and Acer W510 in store and the Acer W700 online (Future Shop and Best Buy - Canada). I wonder if it's a case of too little too late for the holiday buying season anyway?
Another general frustration for me is the immaturity of the software ecosystem. This includes drivers for the hardware as well as software in the Windows Store. I realize that both will get better over time but if Microsoft and its partners wanted to make a good impression with consumers they should have been better prepared to deliver a *great* solution rather than one that has turned out to be just mediocre. IMHO of course ...
Vince

dang121

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I will have to return mine. It crashed on me this morning with an error message Kernel data inpage error and the back of the tablet get really hot. Will try to see if I can get MS to send me a new one.

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I will have to return mine. It crashed on me this morning with an error message Kernel data inpage error and the back of the tablet get really hot. Will try to see if I can get MS to send me a new one.

Ugh. Not good. Let us know how the exchange process goes and how your new one is.

dang121

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
So I called MS and they send me an email containing the pre-paid UPS shipping information and all I have to do is drop it off to UPS. MS will ship me a new unit. As a side note, I think MS should have made an Atom Surface tablet. The Atom processor out perform the Surface RT pretty much in every department and the battery life is also on par with the Surface RT. I also heard that next year the new Atom should be more powerful and better battery performance then the one that is out today. I can do everything with this tablet because it a full blown Window. For example, I can watch .MKV file all I have to do is install K-lite codec and watch .MKV file with Window Media Player. I know there is a new app that just release for the Surface RT to watch .MKV file but it still a work in process with lot of draw back.
The only draw back of this Acer unit is the build quality. I wouldn't mind spending $600 for a Surface with an Atom processor, this would be a killer combo. That is all I have to rant for today.

dang121

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Can someone confirm how much Disk space is on the tablet when you just got it? My said 12 GB when I got it so I just want to know if that is how it suppost to be just in case I got the new one ship to me I can tell if it have issue or not.

Thanks

microhaxo#WP

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Mine came with 14gb Free. This device is fantastic. I need a case for it though!!! If anyone knows where to get a nice cover type case, please let me know.

vtan

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
The 64GB unit that I have came out of the box with 31.2GB free out of 46.6GB. The rest is used I believe for a recovery partition.
Vince

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
The 64GB unit that I have came out of the box with 31.2GB free out of 46.6GB. The rest is used I believe for a recovery partition.
Vince

If you have a dedicated USB stick you can move the recovery files onto that and free up around 12GB. Highly recommend it. And yes the tablet gets warm in the upper right, I assume that's where the CPU is. Doesn't really bother me, every smartphone I've ever used gets hot with use too. The screen is a fingerprint magnet, which kind of sucks. As far as a case I used the Timbuk2 extra small tablet sleeve
Customize A Bag - Timbuk2 Bags

It BARELY fits the Acer, but with use it's stretched out slightly and is easier to get in and out.

-R

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb