First Acer Iconia W700 Forum Thread!

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
How have you two found the fan noise? Is it not noticeable? Noticeable but negligible? Intolerable? I'm really on the fence between an Acer W510 and an Acer W700 (Core i3).

phantom404

May 14, 2012
Visit site
How have you two found the fan noise? Is it not noticeable? Noticeable but negligible? Intolerable? I'm really on the fence between an Acer W510 and an Acer W700 (Core i3).

Just running regular apps I can't really hear the fans. Only time I really hear them is when I'm playing a game (Dota 2, Guild Wars2, etc...) and most of the time because of the sounds from the game I dont even notice them.

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Review - I've been promising a review for a while now. Since I've had the device for over a week, I'm now willing to share my views on the Acer Iconia W700.

I have the 6691 Model, which has the i5 processor, 4GB RAM, 64GB replaceable SSD.

The device was purchased new from tigerdirect.com for $899.00 + $8.00 shipping.

I'd like to start by saying that I've never, ever considered buying an Acer product. To me, their name was synonymous with "cheap" and "entry-level". Read on.

Accessories: 8/10

The Iconia W700 comes with a few different accessories, and no matter how many unboxing videos you watch - you really can't tell the quality for yourself until you've handled it. The leather-type case that the W700 comes with is pretty hefty. I feel confident in it holding up for quite some time, it's not premium, but it doesn't feel or look cheap either. It also comes with a bluetooth keyboard that connects fine, feels fine, but has it's function keys in wonky places. Personal preference for me would be to have full-sized arrow keys too, but whatever. It does exactly what it's supposed to do.

Last up is the W700 dock.

What I've seen in reviews thus far is that it's a love it or hate it accessory.

I'm on the fence. It works for me - it fits my desk and my contemporary/modern home fine. I've permanently got it plugged in, as I've ordered more AC adapters to carry with me to work/school. It's kind of gaudy, I can see where people are coming from. But it's fine, and it's functional, and that's what matters. It's not going to win awards for build quality or style - but I like it.

Build: 9/10

I've had several people at work (I work for a very large competitor) come by my desk and ask to hold it because it's "just too big". The next words out of their mouths are usually "it's actually really light"!

It's around 2 pounds, but is nicely distributed across the device. The aluminum that it's built with feels the same to me as Apple's iPad, and doesn't feel plasticy or cheap at all. The build on this thing is great. The glass is very nice, and I haven't scratched it yet, but I baby the living *woah* out of my devices.

Functionality: 10/10

This is exactly what I wanted out of a tablet. Windows 8 on my home desktop is novel at best... Touch makes Windows 8 more than just "pretty". It's POWERFUL.

I'm constantly finding faster and easier ways to do things using gestures, multitasking, snapping apps to the left or right... It's magnificent!

I signed up for Office 365 and the touch controls are wonderful (don't go in expecting mouse + keyboard ease, of course) for on-the-go. The desktop is totally accessible, and I don't know what the fuss has been. I scaled mine to 125% to have a bit better control over it - and it's just fine. I rarely mis-touch anything on the desktop. I like the file explorer, optimized for touch as well... Again, I don't know what the fuss is about.

Windows 8 was made for touch. Period.

The USB 3.0, HDMI out and headphone ports work... That's easy enough.

Battery Life: 9/10

Great. No complaints. I'm getting a few days in standby - and I have yet to drop it below 50% in a full work day. I wasn't connected to wi-fi, or browsing/downloading anything. Just working in Office. But it held it's own. I don't anticipate an issue in battery life on this. I invested in 2 OEM AC adapters after purchase, as well. That way I can face anything that's thrown at me!

Screen: 10/10

Just plain beautiful on 1920x1080 resolution. I've been jazzed on Retina Display devices with high PPI - and I realize after having this 11.6" device that it's really unnecessary. I believe the W700 has like a 190 PPI (I'm not 100%), and I can't tell a difference, to be honest.

This was a lot shorter than I anticipated - but I can only waste so much time at work writing tablet reviews :p

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer!

thundr51

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I picked up one of these as well (from Amazon) and it's still great. I immediately loaded VS2012 and several SDKs and it did suck up a lot of the space. However I have to admit, using skydrive allows me to keep save a lot of space. I tether using my phone (HTC8x) and I use that for music, docs, pics and videos on Skydrive means I still have about 11 GB left. I've managed to load a couple of games from my steam account and some of the smaller games, (magic, defense grid) work fine. Onenote is awesome for notetaking even if it doesn't have a digitizer.

Bee Mon

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Got the W7 a month and a half ago for USD680, but its only an i3, can't get an i5 over here. Came with everything (64MB, 128SSD, case, dock) except the Bluetooth keyboard. Had some network connection issues early on but now everything runs great once I installed the latest bios and driver updates. The screen, sound and battery life is impressive. There's really nothing out there that's close to this good for the price. I'm really very happy with it so far :)

thundr51

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
sorry should not ask ?
Acer Iconia what advantages compared to other tablets ?

The extras. The base surface you get a Win8 (pro, 64GB, i-5) tablet for $900. For that same 900, Iconia w700 you can get 64GB pro, i-5. PLUS keyboard + Cover (and depending what model, where you buy Docking station). Granted the Surface is probably a bit thinner, but after playing with a surface I still think the acer was a better deal as I like the bigger high res screen. I'm really happy with my Acer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs