Official Idol 4S Picture & Video thread

Snoops8

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So I tried playing around with some settings and you can get the image actually pretty sharp. The picture of the field showed exactly how much smearing of the image the stock camera app will do to certain textures, such as the grass.

I'm no expert, but what a difference it makes when you just use a different editing program!

Crop of the default MS camera app. You can't even tell if the animals are cows, alpacas or bears.
MS camera.jpg

MS1.jpg

Crop using Proshot (raw->jpeg)
Proshot.jpg

Proshot1.jpg

Crop after using a raw editor
raw therapee.jpg

raw therapee 2.jpg

Not used to posting pictures on forums, hopefully it came out alright.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys; been gone from this forum for a while; taking pics with my 950 xl is everything i had hoped for. Amazing Camera!! Absolutely no disappointments whatsoever; noticeable upgrade from the IDOL 4S camera. Still miss the feel and build of the IDOL 4S handset though; question: have you had any firmware updates for the camera? I notice that the HP x3 has had at least 3 different firmware updates, with at least one being for the camera. Anything with the 4S?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
question: have you had any firmware updates for the camera? I notice that the HP x3 has had at least 3 different firmware updates, with at least one being for the camera. Anything with the 4S?

Microsoft Camera seems to have improved things on its own. No Firmware from Alcatel far as I can see.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys; been gone from this forum for a while; taking pics with my 950 xl is everything i had hoped for. Amazing Camera!! Absolutely no disappointments whatsoever; noticeable upgrade from the IDOL 4S camera. Still miss the feel and build of the IDOL 4S handset though; question: have you had any firmware updates for the camera? I notice that the HP x3 has had at least 3 different firmware updates, with at least one being for the camera. Anything with the 4S?

I'd be really (pleasantly) surprised if there is ever a firmware update for the camera. I would also add that the X3 has had firmware updates to address issues with the phone. I'm not aware of any widespread issues with the Idol 4S that would require a firmware update. I'm still very satisfied with the phone but wouldn't mind a firmware update that moved the camera into the "wow" territory.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'd be really (pleasantly) surprised if there is ever a firmware update for the camera. I would also add that the X3 has had firmware updates to address issues with the phone. I'm not aware of any widespread issues with the Idol 4S that would require a firmware update. I'm still very satisfied with the phone but wouldn't mind a firmware update that moved the camera into the "wow" territory.

I don't know that firmware is the problem. The same sensor takes very nice shots on the BB DTEK60. With one glaring exception, the Windows camera app simply doesn't play nice with non-Lumia phones. That one exception was the One M8 which blew the Android version away. It wasn't a showstopper but it was markedly better.

If I was the type to wear tin-foil hats I'd say MS is keeping the Idol and x3 "in its place" on the imaging front to shine again with the Surface Unicorn. After all, apps and the general user experience being the same it would need something to differentiate itself from the herd. No, I didn't forget my meds today.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I don't know that firmware is the problem. The same sensor takes very nice shots on the BB DTEK60. With one glaring exception, the Windows camera app simply doesn't play nice with non-Lumia phones. That one exception was the One M8 which blew the Android version away. It wasn't a showstopper but it was markedly better.

If I was the type to wear tin-foil hats I'd say MS is keeping the Idol and x3 "in its place" on the imaging front to shine again with the Surface Unicorn. After all, apps and the general user experience being the same it would need something to differentiate itself from the herd. No, I didn't forget my meds today.

I agree. It's the only thing that explains MS not lending a helping hand. I was just hopeful there was something they could do through firmware that would make it easier to get good shots without having to go manual. I've never thought it involved the sensor because that would mean that we would never get good shots.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Official Idol 4S Picture & Video thread

Don't know what happened with the upload but it's screwy with the orientation and the zoom is waaaaay off. Trust me, it looks awesome on my phone and PC. ^^

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99