Real Oppotunity for Alcatel to Take Up the Lumia Mantle

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
The Alcatel Idol 4S hits all the right notes for me as a Windows fan.

The design, the specs, its focus on consumers.
Only the camera falls short a bit but that's besides the point.

Like many have pointed out, this phone is not reaching its full market potential if it's only available from T-Mobile.

Not only in the US but the rest of the world is starved for a new good unlocked Windows Phone.

Many Windows Phone fans are still stuck with Lumia X20 devices.
Alcatel I hope isn't short sighted, because quite frankly my gut feel is that they could take up Lumia's mantle and cater to those who haven't upgraded yet.

Here's hoping.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Totally agree with your thoughts on this. This is for me is probably the best experience I have had on a windows mobile device so far. I remember when the 925 came out and I couldn't wait to upgrade.

That was the last flagship windows phone that was released over three years ago on TMO. We were long overdue !

I can say from my one week experience with the Alcatel Idol 4 that this phone is probably the best windows phone out right now for the masses.

Unfortunately I lost my sim tray for the phone but have a new one coming I hope by tomorrow .

I do hope Alcatel picks up the Lumia mantle, because the phone has some Lumia features in it like double tap to wake and a setting for glove use.

The camera has potential. Not Lumia quality but not horrible either. No tap to pay or glance screen and no wireless charging, but im ok with that because it beats my 950 in just about every other way.

The Alcatel Idol 4 is a major win for windows platform and seriously needs to be on other U.S. carriers and a worldwide release.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site

I returned mine today. I can't justify the expense right now when I have a paid off 950 that is a very good device overall and has some things that pushed me in favor of the 950.

The Alcatel is still a wonderful phone and I hope we get more OEM's on board in the coming months and years. In the meantime I have 2 Lumias that should get me through the next year or two if I can hold out that long. LOL.

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
It's interesting. Why you returned it when you said you liked it so much. You can sell the Lumia to help on the cost though.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I returned mine today. I can't justify the expense right now when I have a paid off 950 that is a very good device overall and has some things that pushed me in favor of the 950.

The Alcatel is still a wonderful phone and I hope we get more OEM's on board in the coming months and years. In the meantime I have 2 Lumias that should get me through the next year or two if I can hold out that long. LOL.
Aw at least you tried it. You really have to do what works for you. At least the 950 (and the 650 too) will have support for quite a while.

It's interesting. Why you returned it when you said you liked it so much. You can sell the Lumia to help on the cost though.
I think sometimes we want/like something at the moment but in the long run, it doesn't make sense with our lives. I have my own experience with this, with and without Lumias. This post would become long if I shared some of them so I'll spare you and everyone else. I'm pretty sure @patcherd considered everything and decided to return for his personal reasons.

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Aw at least you tried it. You really have to do what works for you. At least the 950 (and the 650 too) will have support for quite a while.

I think sometimes we want/like something at the moment but in the long run, it doesn't make sense with our lives. I have my own experience with this, with and without Lumias. This post would become long if I shared some of them so I'll spare you and everyone else. I'm pretty sure @patcherd considered everything and decided to return for his personal reasons.

I agree. I recently started a new budget and paying off my phone in a few months probably isn't the best option anymore. If I had another phone I could use that was already paid for, I'd probably send it back as well.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I agree. I recently started a new budget and paying off my phone in a few months probably isn't the best option anymore. If I had another phone I could use that was already paid for, I'd probably send it back as well.

Right? I can't lie, I have considered keeping 2 phones (not at the same time) that were excellent in theory (basically I loved how they looked and worked a lot) but not realistic for my life. One was just too big for me and had lame battery life, and the other didn't have band 12 so I was always on Edge, or LTE. No inbetween, which drove me nuts lol.

Also paying something additional monthly can change your life. Not fun at all.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site

It simply came down to paying more on my monthly bill that I just got reduced by paying off the balance on a previous purchase and the fact that I don't want to give up my Lumia pureview camera.

Yes the Alcatel is a very fast phone, but the 950 holds it's own quite well against it.

It was a hard decision, but if this Alcatel is any indicator of things to come, then I think we are in for some exciting times ahead .

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
It was a hard decision, but if this Alcatel is any indicator of things to come, then I think we are in for some exciting times ahead .
I think that's a mature decision. I'm fortunate in that my current financial position allows me to buy this without any second thought. I've taken the monthly payment route, not because I need to, but because it's interest free and I see no reason not to take advantage of that. But, if I needed to do the monthly payment, I wouldn't do it at all because I have a phone that's in good working condition and the Idol 4S is a want, not a need.
What I appreciate is that this doesn't change your comments about the phone when you originally posted this thread. I'm encouraged that it's a phone that people seem to like in spite of shortcomings for some people. I think it's exciting that an OEM has produced a Windows phone that is not a piece of junk!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99