Bad proximity sensor

Bigfireq

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I have a problem with my 4S where I'm talking on the phone, but the screen remains on, and I can trigger buttons (such as Mute or Hangup) with my cheek. And guess what? I trigger them a lot!

I had the same problem with my first phone, and exchanged it, and the second one has the exact same problem.

Also, I don't have a screen protector, so I don't think anything could be interfering with the sensor.

If it wasn't for this problem, the phone would be great. Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with this problem? I can't believe I've hit this with two phones, but I can't find anyone else talking about it.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Bad proxity sensor

There are problems with the proximity sensor.

I have issues where even though the phone is by my ears, it changes to speaker. They really need a firmware update for this phone.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I would exchange it again if you could (I've seen bad cases involving more than a few replacements of a phone several years ago) but if the issue is truly as widespread as these three phones have suggested, the pool of affected devices is likely quite small.

Now if it affected all Android-variants including the DTEK60, it might be higher-profile but seeing how it took a lot of reports for the LG bootlooping issue to take flight, I can't see this going much of anywhere other than hoping for a firmware update or low-level warranty repairs.

miraidave

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site

As I have mentioned in the thread about the Creator's Update, I've exchanged my phone through T-Mobile warranty exchange twice, and all three phones have the proximity sensor issue. I do not think it is a hardware failure, but a firmware incompatibility with Windows 10 Mobile.

I have identified that the proximity sensor will become non-responsive if you receive an incoming call when the sensor is covered, i.e. the phone is in your pocket or faced down on a table. If you receive a call when the sensor is unobstructed, it will work fine. Therefore, I believe this is a firmware/software issue and not a hardware issue.

I uncertain if what is described above matches your exact issue, therefore I would try calling the phone in both the face up and face down positions to see how your phone responds. If the proximity sensor does not work in both scenarios, or if you are sending an outgoing call, you might actually have a bad sensor. If your phone responds exactly as I described then getting a new phone through warranty probably will not resolve the issue.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

I can attest to this (sensor issue), and have had this issue while the phone is locked and answering a call. If I hold the phone to my face when answered the backlight never shuts off hence the sensor is not enabled for some reason...Like posted just above, I am not certain if this only if the senor is covered or not activated or what.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

Can we update the title to this thread, it has a spelling mistake.. @RumoredNow or another mod.

This way if there are more folks seeing this they can easily find it.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm convinced that it's related to the Creator's update/firmware related. I've tried what miraidave commented on about the phone being pocketed/unpocketed and I got the same results that he did. If it's laying face up on my desk when I answer, no sensor problem whatsoever.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
If bad or conflicting sw per the CU update then ask @fatclue_98

He rolled back to the AU update. Maybe he would know if the T-Mobile model gets the same result.

Also, I have had this issue since the updates on the last build, 14393.xxx before CU on the unlocked open market model.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Mine was the T-Mobile variant but I never experienced the issue y'all have been discussing. That would've driven me insane if it happened to me. Quick show of hands, how many of you experiencing this have thrown your phones? We're family, speak freely.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Mine was the T-Mobile variant but I never experienced the issue y'all have been discussing. That would've driven me insane if it happened to me. Quick show of hands, how many of you experiencing this have thrown your phones? We're family, speak freely.

I'm not throwing a glass-backed phone. :smile:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
My freaking idol 4s keeps trying to call places and take photos in my pocket due to this issue. Every time I get a message or email it wakes up in my pocket now while locked. Frustrating.

gvp 1995

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

Good detective work, thank you 'miraldave'. A software bug confirmed. I bought 3 of these phones for each family member. Returned one because of this issue, thought it was a hardware problem. So, the good news is that it is not a hardware issue, the bad news is that it was first reported in this thread in May. Since then there were multiple updates, and it is not fixed yet. I will be very much surprised if it is fixed eventually. Looks like MS is dumping this specific model. Each phone has a specific build, from what I read, T-Mobile variant does not have this Proximity Sensor problem, meaning they need to fix specifically 4s unlocked.

Interestingly, I read in another thread that double tap to wake could be related to this issue, and tried to find a work around. But in vain. It is related though. Such if you turn it On or Off, the very first time it behaves even if the sensor is covered, apparently because something gets initialized. But the second time it gets screwed again.

gvp 1995

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

A couple of new observations for those who have this problem.

1. T-Mobile firmware gives the same result as unlocked
2. Proximity sensor breaks at 1709 update
3. For those who use T-Mobile everything is the same except added bonus WiFi calling
4. There is no way to go back from T-Mobile firmware to unlocked.
5. If you receive a call with opened Proximity Sensor, it works, as well as all outgoing calls you place late. However, if you receive a call with closed Proximity Sensor (in your pocket or in closed case), then not only it does not work for this call but for all outgoing calls afterwards. It is re-set by receiving a call with opened Proximity Sensor or by restarting the phone.

It is a pity there is no work around this bug. MS is selling the phone for $99 and it would be a steal if not this bug.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon