AndroidCentral.com on Windows Phone

Casey Chan#WP

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
Hey guys!

The Smartphone Round Robin is officially underway and that means we need your help to get us up to speed with all the goings of your platform! Don't worry, we have prizes galore for you guys (every day you make a post in the thread for the next week, you'll be entered to win a Windows Phone device, find details at www.smartphoneroundrobin.com) so be sure to speak up!

So obviously Android and Windows Phone have similar strategies in their platform--they want to be the OS behind the phone, not the phone maker (well, for now)--so there's so much for us Android users to learn from Windows Phone since it's been around for so long. With Android finally gaining more form factors, we're starting to deal with some of the issues that I'm presuming Windows Phone has solved (like apps for diff screen sizes).

Here are a couple of questions I have to get it started:

1. Are you guys satisfied with where Windows Phone is right now? Or are people simply waiting (im)patiently for Windows Phone 7 (or whatever it's called)?
2. Is using custom ROMs and the like commonplace on Windows Phone? How many people just use Windows Phone (no skin, ROM, UI, etc)?
3. Anyone ever think of moving to Android? Is that the most logical destination for Windows Phone refugees? =)
4. What do you like about Windows Phone that no other platform offers?
5. Does anyone really call it Windows Phone or is it Windows Mobile

I'll definitely be back with more questions and am excited to hear what you guys say! Thanks in advance!

Magellan#WP

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
1. I have actually given up on WM for now and switched to Android. It just seemed like it was going nowhere, and there are better options out there. The interface and stability were the biggest reasons for me.

2. I never tried using custom ROM's because I am basically chicken. :)

3. Yes, and yes. ;-)

4. Security

5. I still say Pocket PC, so that shows what I know.

I am still keeping one eye on WM 7 to see where that leads however.

mord4z

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
1. Well, sort of... I'm already using Windows Mobile 6.1, but maybe I upgrade from a new version when it will avaliable?
2. No, I have a bad experience with custom Roms (A omnia Bricked), I prefer the original rom with came on my Treo Pro.
3. Maybe, when the Android will be mature enough to satisfies my needs.
4. I'ts easy to custom and very familiar to desktops computers.
5. For me it's Windows Mobile...

anon(5101)

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
1. its coming along but for the way my mind works it leaves a few things out that should be easier to deal with. every successive release seems to just miss the boat so i'm not hopeful that winmo 7 is going to be anything "oo gotta have it".

2. i love ROMs that make it HTCish unless of course it is and HTC then i'm already there. unless of course big red has gone and screwed with it (cough, touch pro, cough). what a way to screw up a perfectly good phone. guess its not surprising they passed on the iPhone and Nexus1. SPB is nice too. hey microsoft! people with touchscreens use FINGERS not a loseable stylus.

3. i would love to. verizon won't do ROM upgrades in store to smartphones. and they only make packages available for windows so sitting on a mac i'm screwed. if it weren't for the phone i would never have to launch windows in a virtual machine which then has its own problems. update me over the air!

4. um. theres, oh no. um, theres the, no android does that. oh what about, oh no android does that too and much better. well theres, no theres a new app takes care of that……….

5. do you call it Candlestick or what is even the name anymore?

rodhnc

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
hi Casey
1. Are you guys satisfied with where Windows Phone is right now? Or are people simply waiting (im)patiently for Windows Phone 7 (or whatever it's called)?
> I wasn't satisfied with 6.1... currently very satisfied with Palm Pre. I might be willing to try a WinMo 7 some day, depending on what it has to offer.
2. Is using custom ROMs and the like commonplace on Windows Phone? How many people just use Windows Phone (no skin, ROM, UI, etc)?
> If I can't hack it, I just can't hack it (yes I used custom ROM & UI apps)
3. Anyone ever think of moving to Android? Is that the most logical destination for Windows Phone refugees? =)
> If someone gave me a free Android, I would use it :)
> ActiveSync... NOT!
> Windows Mobile

onlineaddy

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
1. Windows Mobile is way behind other mobile OS's.
2. I'm guessing vanilla.
3. Android is moving up!
4. Tighter integration with all things Microsoft.
5. Windows Mobile

NPR_Aficionado

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site

I'll definitely be back with more questions and am excited to hear what you guys say! Thanks in advance!

As a windows mobile user for over 6 years now, here are my thoughts.
1. I would like to see WM with a much easier to use interface, HTC goes a good way in making this happen, but they should not have to. Hopefully this will come with 7, without losing functionality.
2. Custom ROM's are not a must, but are a great outlet for the power user/customizer. This will keep those tempted by WebOS and Android happy for a short bit.
3. Android or WebOS are the most common places I see old WM users go.
4. As stated before, security and TOC exchange support.
5. As you can see it is still WM to me, but I will switch eventually, I am sure.

GadgetLunatic

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I love WM 6.5 so far, but would really love to see WM 7 very soon. I just got the Tilt 2 and it is an awesome device! I was craving the HD2 very badly but went with the Tilt 2 since it's now available on AT&T. The hardware keyboard is so easy to use.

Regarding whether or not people call it Windows Mobile or Windows Phone, the television commercials and online ads are saying "Windows Phone", and most of the video reviewers have been saying "Windows Phone" as well.

Bassmanbob

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
1. As for being satisfied with where Windows Phone is right now,I would have to say I am not very satisfied. When Windows Mobile Seven comes out though, things will definitely change! From all the leaks and even Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer himself who delayed the release of Microsoft because it was not up to par.All these things lead me to believe that Windows Mobile will finally be a "formidable" platform.
2. Is using Custom ROMs commonplace on a Windows Phone? That would be a resounding YES if your'e a "power user" who enjoys having the power to change all of their settings then flashing a custom ROM to your phone is the only option!. How many people just use Windows Phone (no skin, ROM, UI, etc)? And as to this question I believe that many people who are unaware that their Windows Phone is capable of being "upgraded" use their phone as it was shipped...aka, STOCK! I believe if more people were aware that their Windows Phone could be upgraded(HTC devices primarily) via Custom firmware then Windows Mobile would receive much higher praise!
3. I've thought about moving to android several times but several HTC devices and the Samsung Omnia which runs Windows Mobile, Android has been ported to some of these devices therefore eliminating the need to purchase an Android device(in theory!) Although the HTC Passion, HTC Hero, and the Motorola Droid have all caught my eye as very attractive and powerful platforms for running the Android OS.
4. What I like about Windows Phones is that they offer a level of customization unparalleled to any other mobile OS available right now! The customization of your home screen as well as the look and feel of the operating system itself all play a vital part in maintaining the Windows Mobile OS as an OS for "Tweakers" and "Power users".
5. I like to use any number of terms to describe a Windows Mobile powered phone which include but are not limited to; WinMo, Windows Mobile, Windows Phone, WM, and even the more slightly outdated term Pocket PC or PPC!
Any of these terms is acceptable within the Windows Mobile community, but with the new ad campaign started by Microsoft and AT&T I believe "Windows Phone" will be the new term used to describe this amazing OS.

UltraYellow350z

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
1) I think Windows Mobile 7 has to be good or WM will fail as a mobile OS. I think the other platforms have advanced so much more that this will be the last straw. I have faith that it will be worth the wait though.
2) Custom roms are essential to the WM community
3) I think Android is performing what WM couldn't do (stable customizable interface with apps)
4) Navigation applications (iGo, Garmin)

Sayo

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Though I've been a long-time user of Windows Mobile, I'm currently biding my time with the WebOS community of Precentral until Windows Mobile 7 is released. With my statements qualified, here's my take on everything..

1. Are you guys satisfied with where Windows Phone is right now?
In a word, No. The branding is good, but the product is honestly no longer relevant in today's ecosystem. They have the same problem Nokia potentially faces in the coming years if they refuse to act--An operating system that is satisfying an increasingly smaller community with little generating interest in new participants. Micrrosoft's best move is an Android approach. Google showed that you can successflly release your own hardware (which Microsoft has show excellence in) without cannibalizing the growing community of partner phones.​

Yep. Full customization potential is one of the most appealing features of Windows Mobile and Windows OS in general. Of course, it doesn't hurt that professional skins, such as sense UI, are the sole reason Windows Mobile stays looking current.​
Well, I'm not so sure. I go with what's most useful, but am also somewhat leery of having such a substantial presence of a single advertising-based company (Google) in my life. Google search, Gmail, Google docs... I'm not a tin-foil hat type, but putting all one's eggs in the Google basket, however pleasing it is, isn't necessarily the wisest choice. Differentiate. Plus, I'm a softy for underdogs.​
Customization. That, and it's attempts not to hide the dirty aspects away from us. We see everything and can do whatever we want with it, now we just need that in an updated capacity with Windows Mobile 7. Looking Windows 7 and Zune... their muscle in pleasing UI should not be dismissed, just keep it open.​
5. Does anyone really call it Windows Phone or is it Windows Mobile.
It's Windows Mobile until its THE Windows phone. Don't trust the lies. ;)

soccernamlak

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site

Windows 6.5, to be honest, wasn't a huge upgrade for me so I'd like to see what Windows 7 has.

Yep, big time. I always use cooked roms on my phone. Putting it in perspective: when I got my AT&T Tilt, the home screen was AT&T's crappy calendar in text form and messages in lined text form. With a cooked ROM and TouchFLO 3D on it, it really shined.

Thought about it and am tempted, for sure.

The support and amount of modifications on the OS that you can do with Windows Mobile makes it worth it, plus cool stuff like TomTom on your SD card or some graphics stuff with HTC products and software.

5. Does anyone really call it Windows Phone or is it Windows Mobile?

I call it Windows Mobile, or WinMo.

McNibbler

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
1. I tried the omnia and didn't care for it. Had it for 9 months. Was not satisfied with the OS.
2. The stock ROM isn't the best, so I think the majority of people used cooked ROM
3. Have to admit that the android platform has me VERY curious. Friends have it and it is sweet. Enough to make you think seriously about it.
4. That it is completely modifiable (is that even a word?)
5. WinMo-the only way to call it!

Tacos

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
1. People don't give it the credit it deserves. Windows Mobile was one of the pioneers in "mobile computing," giving you, at the time, a powerful, portable option in productivity. Wow.. that's a lot of P's.

2. Anyway, I'm going to have to agree with most consumers now.. It just no longer can maintain relevency in it's current form. I'm on Windows Mobile 6.1, can I upgrade to 6.5? Likely not. 7.0? Nah. Microsoft needs to look to Apple, Google, Palm, etc. in creating an evolving platform on a stationary device.

3. I use custom roms, but I can also see why those who dont, well.. don't. You don't really have a plethora of safeguards, and most of what people use is very back-alley-esque. Personally, I need it to make the phone do what I need it to do.

4. Android is new, I think I'll let it settle in first. We'll see what's on the horizon for Windows Mobile 7.0 before jumping ship.

5. Device choice! Whatever you want, there's likely something from HTC, Samsung, Palm, etc. that will suit your needs. Of course, Android is now getting into this game as well.

6. Windows Phone is new and weird sounding, like Wii.. people will get used to it.

jankyhanky#WP

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
1. I am definitely looking on Winmo 7. I really like how versatile winmo is. Blackberry works better, by far, but winmo always had the most potential. I am on 6.1 on an old Titan / XV6800. I tried 6.5 on a cooked/leaked rom and didn't like it. I work at a store and tried the Tilt2 and Pure. Neither were impressive. The new IE is now usable, but not perfect. The OS is still exactly the same, just with slightly bigger tabs and icons for finger touching.
2. Yup, stock roms are terrible. While I think the gains from doing so are much exaggerated (enthusiasts are a bit biased), loading custom roms is necessary. For a data plan that costs $20 more than a dumbphone (on VZW and AT&T at least) tethering should be free. Flashing allows us to use ICS and on some Verizon handsets, decrypt GPS for use on GoogleMaps and such.
3. I am moving to either an Android or Nokia. For productivity and reliability, Nokia E71 & E72 take the cake. For usability, touch interface, and applications, Android is ahead by a small margin.
4. Windows has Skyfire. Full proxy websurfing including: Flash and Silverlight. It's pretty sad when the best feature is a third-party application.
5. I sell phones. I call the OS is Windows Mobile; the models are Windows Phones.

barrypod2012

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys!

The Smartphone Round Robin is officially underway and that means we need your help to get us up to speed with all the goings of your platform! Don't worry, we have prizes galore for you guys (every day you make a post in the thread for the next week, you'll be entered to win a Windows Phone device, find details at www.smartphoneroundrobin.com) so be sure to speak up!

So obviously Android and Windows Phone have similar strategies in their platform--they want to be the OS behind the phone, not the phone maker (well, for now)--so there's so much for us Android users to learn from Windows Phone since it's been around for so long. With Android finally gaining more form factors, we're starting to deal with some of the issues that I'm presuming Windows Phone has solved (like apps for diff screen sizes).

1. I am pretty satisfied with my phone. I did play with the droid, it's a real machine.
2. I use my windows phone w/o rom or skin. I just basically use it for school (epocrates) and text messaging. I am not a real power user.
3. I have thought about this, but I am going to wait for my contract to end first....or when windows come out with a kick butt phone then I'll stay. lol
4. Well, thats hard to say since I dont really use the full fuctions of my phone. I would its more secure than any other platforms? Truthfully, there's not much about windows mobile that other platforms are missing. I would say customization, but with a rooted android....that can easily happen.
5. I call it windows mobile because its sound more neat.

wkj

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
1. WM, like Palm before webOS is getting stale for me. I may go back to WM if 7 fits the Bill.

2. I tried a couple custom roms, but the flashing process is too much of a hassle, especially when dozens of roms are available and all offer something different. I spent more time flashing than actually using the phone! LOL

3. I've played with my wifes Hero and it was refreshing. Recently moved to webOS and lovin' it! I get to upgrade next year so we'll see what's around the corner...probably jump to Android or stick with webOS.

4. PIM functionality is spot on with WM. Put a real agenda view in the OS (tasks, multiple days, etc.....on one screen) and hire the SBP Mobile shell guys for the UI and I'd be back.

5. Windows Mobile for me.

wkj

dannzeman

Aug 15, 2008
Visit site
No, I'm not satisfied. It's definitely getting better, but I'm desperate for WM7.
I was using and cooking custom roms back on my 6700. I switched the Treo 800w and missed out on a lot of the rom action but got back into it briefly when I had the Touch Pro 2. It's hard to accurately say how many people use custom Roms. It seems like nearly everyone on every WinMo forum uses a custom Rom. But in reality, every person I've met that has a WinMo phone doesn't even know what a Rom is.
I switched from the Touch Pro 2 to the Hero, to the Moment and back to the Hero. After using the Moment for only 10 days I was seriously missing the Hero. I had used a Pre for a month right after my Treo 800w and I liked it but there just wasn't much available for it. The homebrew was very limited and I don't think there were any patches yet. After 3 months of trying other phones I went back to the Pre and while there is much more going on it just didn't do it for me. I feel much more comfortable with Android.
The fact that the platform is mature and you can do absolutely anything you want to it. Whatever you would like to do to it has most likely already been thought of by someone else and a solution or fix has been implemented. I'm not knocking other platforms because they're so new. Given enough time they'll be where WinMo is, eventually.
I still call it WinMo

djitch

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Good morning all!!!

well first i want to say good morning. and i will get started right away with your questions!

1. I personally am not staisfied with the windows mobile devices right... dont get me wrong some of the actual hardware of the devices are decent but i think they need to really work on the OS for those phones!

2. I was actually a WM user for along time and now They are going to have to offer a whole lot more to get me to ever return!

3. I actually did f=go from WM to android and then I just ended up going back to a blackberry after that. But i did like the android better than windows mobile!

4. The one aspect of windows mobile that I personally like that no other phone offers is the familiarity of the OS most people are very familiar with a PC and a Wm device is the closest thing you are going to get without buying an actual PC... people go with what they know!

5.And just so you know it is windows mobile!!! lol

Have a great day!

jymbrittain

Aug 29, 2008
Visit site
For the most part, yes

I use a custom ROM

No

Ease of sync to Outlook and my desktop OS

I hardly refer to the OS

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05