CrackBerry Kevin Goes Windows Mobile, Smartphone Round Robin 2009

jankyhanky#WP

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
a) HD2 is great. The Tilt 2 is okay. I like that HTC is doing what it can, but I dislike most of TouchFlo. The icon bar at the bottom is counterintuitive. I expected to be able to flick/slide the bar, but it is really more of just an indicator to tell you where you are in relation to the other panes (totally unnecessary). Ignore that obnoxious messages pane (with the tilted envelope and rendered messages) and go straight to your real inbox.
b) WinMo's customizeability is nuts. There's a reason HTC has been able to add on TouchFlo and other good stuff. It is running a Windows Kernel. You can't say that about any other smartphone. (Apple claims iPhones run a Mac kernel but we have yet to see any practical evidence of use).
c) WinMo 7. We need a total finger-friendly reworking. If I just wanted to make tabs and buttons bigger and uglier like they did on 6.5, I could've used any UI tweaker and done so in 10 minutes.
d) There's not much to like. I spent the past 3 years finding apps that pretty much make the interface work like android is now. Imagine a Storm with much more potential but failing to deliver even more miserably.
e) freewarepocketpc.net is an amazing source for apps. Again though, all the apps I've been happiest with are the apps that make WinMo behave like something else: s2p, icontact, FingerMenu, FingerMSGBox, and Showcase (for task management). I wouldn't be able to live without Total Commander for my file management and registry editing needs.
The one redeeming quality is that Office is free!

Sayo

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Where do think Windows Phones are going? what do you want to see next?

I'll tell you where I don't see Windows Mobile heading... The Zune UI. I admit it's an incredibly slick bit of work, and it functions well as the media player it is, but I just can't see how people seem to think the "Just put a GSM/CDMA radio into it" logic is remotely realistic. In fact, I really don't see the current Zune-like UI features in windows Mobile 6.5 being all that effective--it feels more like wasted space. The Sense UI in HTC HD2 really seems more on par with the "at a glace" style I prefer in a device.

Tacos

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site

One thing I would like to see in Windows Mobile 7 is a new browser. Having played with the Zune Browser, I can tell you it's a start, but Microsoft really needs to be out in front in this category. They need an Opera-esque, all-inclusive browser with desktop-like features. EVERYONE uses the browser on their smartphone, and to not get that most basic element right really dates the entire phone perceptually to a market.

Last edited:

saymes

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
a) Who say HD2 weak? HD2 smash! The screen is not only crazy huge but extremely scratch-resistant too. Check YouTube for a video of it being put to the test. I am just waiting for the subsidized prices on its US arrival.

b&c) The functionality is superb, it does everything that is earthly possible to do. However, the WinMo interface is definitely lagging behind the others, I don't think anyone will deny that. HTC's excellent skinning has given MS some time (and examples) on what they need to do to get it right. Let's hope they pay attention.

d) BB users would like the media management, especially if they use Windows on their desktop. I have a BB that I use as a secondary phone, strictly for BBM and internet. The media mgmt is very basic. I recently was using the Javelin and there's not been much improvement. Other than BBM and BB internet, WinMo can do everything else just as good or better ;)

e) As a power user, there's an app for every useful function you could possibly think of. A simple search reveals all. What we don't have is a user-friendly repository for the apps for the new users, the old ones know what to do.

mindfrost82

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
a) what are the strengths / weaknesses from your point of view of these devices

I think the strengths are the customization options, multitasking, and the Exchange integration from a business perspective. You can load custom ROMs with tons of different options. The weakness is the lack of development compared to what's happening with the iPhone and Android. Everywhere you turn, you hear about an iPhone/Android app, it all over the media. Windows Mobile isn't.

b) what are your views on where Windows Mobile is now (as a platform, both WM itself and with HTC doing their layering stuff on top)

I think WM is moving in the right direction with WM6.5 and hopefully WM7 will be everything its hyped up to be, but there can't be anymore delays with it. It needs to hit in 2010, and the earlier the better. With HTC, I think they're helping their devices sell by laying their stuff on top. Many people like Sense/Manila, but maybe with WM7 there won't be a need for a custom GUI.

c) where do think Windows Phones are going? what do you want to see next?

I think they're still primarily a business device, but they're hopefully moving into the direction of a regular consumer's device. They can still target the business user, but they also need to target regular consumers if they want to gain their marketshare back.

d) what do you think BlackBerry users would immediately like about Windows phones? what would be gain? what we lose (other than BlackBerry Messenger!)

I think they would like how much you can customize it and the apps that you can find. While some apps aren't as good as the iPhone, there's still lots of them out there. You would obviously lose one of the best messaging phones out there, but if you have an Exchange server available, push email can be just as effective. You would also lose battery life. Every Blackberry I've seen has amazing battery life compared to Windows Mobile.

e) how's the app situation? how's the game situation? quantity and quality, where would you rank them in the smartphone space?

There are lots of apps out there, free and shareware, but most of them aren't in the Marketplace, so you have to search the net to find them. Games are embarrassing compared to the iPhone. Most WM devices can run OpenGL, so where are our games that use it? I would say WM is behind the iPhone for apps and games, but they're still ahead of Blackberry and probably Android for now. Its only a matter of time before Android passes WM in the apps department though.

brat1475

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
A. The strengths are the customization and various form factors. If you want a front facing qwerty, there's a phone for that. If horizontal sliders are your thing, there's a phone for that. Now thanks to the HD2, if you want a phone with a huge honkin Capacitive screen, there's a phone for that. The weaknesses, lack of microsoft services integration, X-Box and Zune services are not tied in at all.

B. I think WinMo has reached a turning point. There is core functionality it had years before other platforms, but it has been slow to develop fast enough, and now all the completing platforms have similar features to varying degrees. WinMo 7 hopefully will be written with the intention that this is a finger operated phone vice a stylus operated PDA, and the UI will reflect that. HTC has done wonders with Touchflo/Sense UI. My perspective regarding HTC is that they are working towards brand recognition through there UI instead of OS. In another couple years, my feeling is handsets from WinMo and Android will be indestinguishable based on Sense UI.

C. I think Windows Phones will continue to improve as hardware improves, and hopefully WinMo7 addresses the software/services side. WinMo has a lot of negative prejudice to overcome in the geek community, and WinMo needs more aggressive advertising to raise brand awareness to the general public. I think more phones with minimum 3.5" capacitive screens (cringing awaiting the argument) is the only form factor change I want. Give me a Touch Pro 3 with a 1GHZ Snapdragon, 1GB ROM, 512 RAM, and 3.5" Capacitive display with ATT and Tmo 3G bands!

D. Native support for exchange without a BIS/BES. Tons of apps from the App store or sideloaded from other places. Besides Blackberry messenger, I am not sure, I've never used a Blackberry.

E. Apps are getting better, won't be a fan of the app store until I can install apps on an SD card. I'd say the App situation with WinMo is middle of the road. Quality is improving compared to other platforms, but I don't think a lot of them are Apple quality yet with the exception of Bing. Games aren't quite there yet, I think that will change more once these newer Snapdragon/Tegra processors are common.

When I use my Tilt, it's all in one for me. I use it for RSS feeds, web browsing, email, games, reading Ebooks, music, movies, podcasts, GPS Nav, and oh yeah, phone calls, LOL.

Bassmanbob

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site

I'll tell you where I don't see Windows Mobile heading... The Zune UI. I admit it's an incredibly slick bit of work, and it functions well as the media player it is, but I just can't see how people seem to think the "Just put a GSM/CDMA radio into it" logic is remotely realistic. In fact, I really don't see the current Zune-like UI features in windows Mobile 6.5 being all that effective--it feels more like wasted space. The Sense UI in HTC HD2 really seems more on par with the "at a glace" style I prefer in a device.

I really dont think Microsoft is headed for a "Zune with a phone built in" but i do believe that they are incorporating some of the more successful features of the Zune UI into WM7 so as to keep the OS current as well as a competitor in the smartphone market.

barbo

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I like the fact that Win Mo is so customizable and has so many free programs. I use it every night to read in bed (free readers to read free ebooks from the public library). I also enjoy a few games.

jankyhanky#WP

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
WinMo 7 I hope compresses the 6.5 Titanium home screen. They took the most compact and information rich homescreen of any OS and made it barren in the name of aesthetics. If they can fit a menu entry for the big digital time, weather, favorite app launcher, connections, calendar appointments, and tasks all onto one screen without having to scroll up and down that would be fantastic. Tap to expand, or swipe sideways to view the next entry.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
What I like about the is is that is semms stable and workmanlike. You can find apps to do what you need the device to do to assist you in your work and personal life. For me I have had pocket pcs and conerged devices and the treo pro to me is a great windows phone. I am saddened that palm left the development for this device. Is a decent form facor I woulkd like a larger screen and more memory sayd leave the keyboard and make the screen take up the rest of the device with soft keys for start end etc. It coulkd be about a 3.2 inch screeen which would be acceptabel. More memory and maybe a faster processor as well.

Sayo

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
"I really dont think Microsoft is headed for a "Zune with a phone built in" but i do believe that they are incorporating some of the more successful features of the Zune UI into WM7 so as to keep the OS current as well as a competitor in the smartphone market."

Exactly. But, the point I was trying to make is that I honestly didn't see the commonality between the two operating systems that would allow for much of that sort of thing; what's good for one isn't exactly usable for the other.

I just think there are potentially better ideas out there to borrow from for a phone UI and was commenting on how people do seem to call for a "Zune with phone."

Tacos

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
"Winmo has some apps that I miss after switching from Treo Pro > Pre. Audible being the one I miss most."

That's for sure. Windows mobile has a rich selection of applications, including audible, that aren't all yet found on competing platforms.. but, this is not a feature I see holding an audience for much more than a year or so. Eventually, many familiar programs will finds their way over toward the cash exchanges of iPhone, Palm, and Android. Microsoft needs some new "anchoring" apps.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett