CrackBerry Kevin Goes Windows Mobile, Smartphone Round Robin 2009

JNM

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Greetings Windows Phone Users!!

Week #2 of the 2009 Smartphone Round Robin has me on Windows Phones, namely the AT&T Tilt 2 and the HTC HD2. Man oh Man is the screen on the HD2 insanely huge.

As I work towards my final review, I need some help from everybody here at WM Experts. I need to know things like:

a) what are the strengths / weaknesses from your point of view of these devices
b) what are your views on where Windows Mobile is now (as a platform, both WM itself and with HTC doing their layering stuff on top)
c) where do think Windows Phones are going? what do you want to see next?
d) what do you think BlackBerry users would immediately like about Windows phones? what would be gain? what we lose (other than BlackBerry Messenger!)
e) how's the app situation? how's the game situation? quantity and quality, where would you rank them in the smartphone space?

and lastly, I'd just like to get some stories from all the hardcore users here about how you use/integrate your device into your daily life. I sort of look at it like I do with BlackBerry... there's BlackBerry users, and then there are people using a BlackBerry. I kind of think the hardcore Windows Phone users are like the hardcore Windows Phone users.... it's hard to switch away as you're so dependent on it. So I'd like to know what makes Windows Phones so indispensable to those who rely on them for their daily life.

Thanks in advance!!

Kevin

a) The Tilt 2 (Touch Pro 2) comes with everything needed to take it to work and make immediate use of the phone. I use MS Office heavily and having it on the phone is a huge plus. Unlike other platforms it is included on the Touch Pro 2 and the HD2. Yeah, the other OS devices have "an app for that" but so does Windows Mobile, and its included. The Touch Pro 2 has the best keyboard I have used in a very long time and call quality that leaves no one wanting.

These devices could improve upon third party application quality. While I detest buying business applications that should be on business smartphones I like finding a great application to keep me entertained. Many iPhone applications I have tried are well engineered whereas I am not seeing the same caliber of work for Windows Mobile.

b) I like some of what HTC has done. I see HTC Sense as something that, as has always been done with WM, makes the Today Screen better. However, I really don't like that they take over the messaging application with their own, much slower, and often unreliable messaging software. Windows Mobile devices are respected for having email, texting, mms, etc covered. These are handled more cleanly on WM than any other so HTC should have left it alone.

With the latest versions of WM, much of HTC's works is very useful, and betters the phone, but it is NOT necessary. WM has improved drastically and can stand on its own merits.

c) I cannot say with any direct knowledge where WM is going, but I really hope that more desktop functionality comes to the phone. I want it to be what its name implies. I want Outlook Mobile to gain more advanced functions. I want the difference between my computer and my phone to be less about what can be done on one versus the other but more about how things are done on one versus the other. Same/similar capabilities though.

d) They would love everything about Contact, Calendar, and Tasks Management since they are similar, yet more cleanly displayed, than on the BlackBerry. The browser, either of them, will be a nice thing as welll. They'd love being able to use the device as a Wifi router.

However, they would certainly miss push notifications. Sure, Windows Mobile offers it for the Exchange account, but all of the rest pull on a schedule. There are free third party push options that work VERY well for WM but that it not included from the start.

e) I have not found a need for many applications to be added but the few I have are excellent. I think that Apple has taken an overwhelmingly massive lead here and everyone else better focus on quality applications rather than trying to mathc the sheer number in the application store from Apple.

I am a BlackBerry user (currently in remission), Windows Mobile user, and an iPhone user. I also used the Nokia E71 and E61i for over a year. I will use whatver works best for my needs. Right now, as has been the case for many years, that is Windows Mobile. I thought I would be missing my 9700 by now, having given it up to move back to the Touch Pro 2, but I am not missing it at all. The Nokia devices are usually better built than all of the others, but S60 really just has fallen so far behind in crucial areas that I can't use those devices. Their Calendar application cannot manage invites, nor categories, or even tasks! Contact fields are missing in the address book! It has been that way for years.

My Windows Mobile phones let me set them up and get to work very easily. It is a full business package. I got my Touch Pro 2, added MS Voice Command, Telenav, and entered my Exchange server credentials. I might tweak a ringtone setting here and there but I am now ready to use the phone, get my email (with all of the subfolders (Nokia...you listening?), and access my contacts. I can run through the last few articles that have come in for review and edit them on the spot (no need to buy an app for that).

When I buy an expensive smartphone it needs to include everything I will need in order to use it. The Touch Pro 2 does this well.

Ambien says goodnight!

raiderfanbigjun

May 8, 2009
Visit site
WinmoPowerUser

Hey Buddy,

a) Strengths have to be that we can customize our phones to endless bounds. Being able to do anything with you phone that can be done on a PC is the number one reason I use winmo (remote desktop, server servailance, MS Office)
b) Personally I love winmo, i like how it is laid out like my pc with the same folder set as well as start menu aspects. Yes the overall look of the OS is outdated but if asthetcs arnt your #1 concern winmo is awesome.
c) Gosh i dont really know what to expect, the LAST thing i want is for WINMO7 to come out looking like a cross between Iphone and Android. I guess i just want the basic winmo with a lil more color to it, but please please please dont take away my functionality!
d) Free tethering just to start! Also the web browsing on Skyfire vs BB browser or Opera Mini is unparalelled. But i think Winmo phones offer a much larger selection between phones (with BB it seems they all look the same/have same features). What you lose is the most stable OS vs buggy at times winmo :(
e) Apps and games are awesome for winmo power users and active forum members. General Public not so lucky, if i used only apps found in the marketplace id be depressed but the fact that i know where to look makes my experience awesome buuut not evryone is me... The newer games on the WVGA screens are awesome but they are jus now getting that way IMO, i am just not a gamer on my phone though so im not the best authority on the subject! Winmo ranks last or next to last behind Nokia as far as games and apps go i believe.

My personal winmo story goes like this. Had an OLD winmo phone (i930 running original smartphone) , swore i would never go back to a dumbphone. Well dropped it in the mud and had to go back to dumbphone and hated my life. Finally got upgraded to a BB 8350i, loved that i could get my email like never before but was really disappointed in the lack of tethering, customization, and i was paying 25 more dollars (for what? when i pay $0 when using a winmo phone with full features). Then i got me an HTC winmo phone and started flashing custom ROMs, omg its awesome being able to put into my phone only and exactly what i want, then i discovered outlook and got my email the same as on the BB (well almost the same lol) and i discovered skyfire for full internet browsing! I use my phone for so much, a big use is to search the web for info when i sit through my class lectures, theres always something i can pull up and add to the discussion! I do look at BB as second in my eyes though, if winmo died tomorrow BB here i come (again) lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99