Yep, Got an Android Tablet

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Being a bit discontented with WP7 lately I've wondered about Android OS. THere are scads of them on the market. I am NOT eligible for an upgrade yet, and not sure I want to spend bucks on a phone, then on an increase in my plan, so I picked up an Acer A1oo tablet.

Figure it will give me the opportunity to test drive Android, sans any carrier overlays or restrictions. THe tablet shipped with Honeycomb, but updated to Ice Cream Sandwich as I registered and fired it up.

I have to admit, so far it's been rather impressive! Fast, smooth, brilliant display, renders nicely. Some issues with registering my finger taps sometimes - but that may be user error or body temp. My fingers tend to stay cold.

I like and wanted the smaller size for portability. But larger than my HTC Arrive for spreadsheet readability. Only have had it since Saturday night so am still exploring the device. But so far so good. Maybe the ICS being, as some have noted, similar in some respects to WP7 is a saving grace?

I purchased the docs to go full version and can edit my Office documents from the device. Curiously the documents I downloaded from Skydrive cannot be read!

Its kind of looking like the little bots may win me over. Well, at least through Acer any way. If the tablet venture goes well, I may move to Straight talk and an Android phone - or visit ebay for a Sprint compatible android phone.

I NEED to be able to edit my spreadsheets on the fly easily and to have a way to save them of course that doesn't have me pulling out my hair! We'll see if this is possible.

The Camera function is decent on this device for my needs, and Amazon is sending me a 32GB micro card for way less money than I picked one up from best buy!

One draw back: the A100 does NOT charge via the micro USB port. But so far, not a deal breaker. Another is the device can't read it's own micro sd files until a file manager app was downloaded. Free app - so that's good! Strange that the device didn't have an on board file manager - but then again neither does WP!

Battery is O.K., but then again I don't leaveWi-FI on all the time, nor am I browsing the web endlessly. Instant on, update the sheets and go! Simple, easy, viewable and portable!

Oredered a Micro male to usb female host adapter so will find out if the usb port can utilize peripherals like other flash drives or mice etc.

Couldn't get Bluetooth to pair with my netbook- but its likely something in the netbook settings I need to set up.

All in all though, as a stock, non rooted device (like my stock WP7 device) so far Android has been pleasant.

danwc

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I've had an android tablet since the Samsung galaxy tab 10.1 came out. Enjoy it more than the iPad. But an Android tablet is a different beast than an Android phone. I wandered away from my lumia for about a week and a half, traded it for the HTC one x. The only thing better about it was the camera. The rest of the os just didn't work for me as a daily driver. I guess I've just really gotten used to WP7 and its communication features. It's what works for me. Sold my one x and got another lumia. Done with all the switching (till the fall when Apollo hits).

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I have an Android tablet. I would also like to get an iPad. Then get a Windows 8 tablet.

They all have their strengths. The question then really becomes what ecosystem you want to buy into. Because it will be easier to integrate things if you go "all in."

danwc

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I have an iPad as well as the android tablet. The iPad has pretty much been given over to the kids. There are a few things I'll do on it from ime to time. And I am eagerly awaiting the release of the windows 8 tablets. I'm hoping they do a bang up job and I'll be able to go all in with windows 8/wp8. Time will tell.

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I have an Android tablet. I would also like to get an iPad. Then get a Windows 8 tablet.

They all have their strengths. The question then really becomes what ecosystem you want to buy into. Because it will be easier to integrate things if you go "all in."

Yeah, I'm intrigued with the whole integrated windows thing talked about. But felt the need to at least try the Android platform in order to make an informed decision for my next major computer upgrade.
Time and use will tell. Honestly though I really miss my palm. With HP tanking Web OS That platform is a no go for me.

Haven't moved away from XP at work or home yet, so with a WP7 phone Win8 seems the ideal direction to take. Except that WP7 has let me down in some of the most basic features and I am not thrilled with what I have been reading about the entry devices costing projections. I refuse to buy an HP because of their Web OS actions so that leaves Toshiba and Acer and Fujitsu.

Which is why I am test driving this little tablet!

A hard look at my computing needs reveals that other than web surfing, social networking, office documents and a little photo editing I can store my files on remote hard drives and use the tablet as the brain. I don't do gaming or visuals so don't need gobs of power or a huge screen!

So far the ride has been good.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm the same as you, but using a HTC Flyer... so far I've already had to make one claim on the insurance (tablet in case, in a laptop sleeve, which was in a rucksack, and somehow the screen STILL got burned into... :confused: ) so yeah, that's not a good start...

AzD

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I like android on the tablet. ICS, anyway. I had one with Froyo and returned it post haste.

I still prefer WP for my phone, though.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duncekatie39