Left Windows Phone for Android

robstunner

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Were not talking about lag were talking about bloatware. I've had enough androids, iPhones and windows phones to know the pluses and minuses. Some hatred can be warranted, but many people here love to hate android more than they love to enjoy their windows phone it seems.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Bloatware causes lag. Duh.

And most of us hate Android because we were stuck using that Godawful system for so long. Windows Phone after a couple years of Android is like a jug of fresh-squeezed chilled lemonade after a decade in ****.

wpward291

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Everybody has there own choice. My last android was the sensation then I moved to the 710 now the 920. I love windows it fits all my needs. I know I personally left android because I just got tired of xda didn't have time to keep up with the roms and kernels. OEMs lack of updates just wasn't what I wanted anymore.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
This thread is funny... Android is a good OS if you know how to properly use it. Do I recommend it, No. I love Windows Phone but do I recommend it, No. If you want apps just for the sake of apps then yes Android and Iphones is good. If you want a phone that works seamlessly and has potential then I say go with Windows Phone. The issue with this thread is we're comparing an OS five years in the making to an OS 2 years in the making. Like comparing a 5 year old to a 2 year old. They're both Good OSes, I've started recommending Tablets because people now and days want their phones to be computers and I say simply just get a Tablet like Mini Ipad; Nexus 7. Sheesh.

robstunner

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Meh. I'm not going to argue but I enjoyed my android phones. Most recently was the one x and I wouldn't have a problem going back to it, however I do enjoy my Nokia at the moment. It wasn't god awful in my opinion in the least, but everyone is entitled to one.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I hated the One X. I gave it time to settle in with me and the only thing that I truly enjoyed was the camera. The One X couldn't properly multitask. If I had more than 4 apps open at the same time it would stutter in addition to shutting down one or more of those apps. HTC did this intentionally, of course, to provide as much memory to Sense UI as it could to avoid any sense of lag operating the menus. There was great debate over this when the One X first game out. One issue with custom UI's is the fact that updates are slower to arrive on these devices compared to one that is straight Android with no fillers or additives. Anyone that has owned an HTC device, a Samsung or Motorola device with Sense, Blur and TouchWiz know what I'm talking about. iPhone users don't have this problem immediately because they generally run the same generation of software provided they are still in the supported cycle phase of their life span. Windows Phone users don't have this problem because there is generally one major OS / revision running. BlackBerry users don't encounter this much at all either.

So yes, it's fair to suggest that a custom UI is bloatware. Starting from Gingerbread, the Android interface has been easy to operate. I think that Ice Cream Sandwich and now Jelly Bean have caused a few missteps in the evolution of the OS. The development of Android and Android-based devices occurs at a frightening pace. You can't go more than a quarter in the business world without seeing yet another high-end release from the likes of Motorola, Samsung and HTC. Phones shouldn't be obsolete five seconds after owning them. I shouldn't have to flip on the TV or go to my favorite sites and see the One X+ or the Lumia 920 has been released and it hasn't been much more than six months from launch of the One X and 900. But, to keep up with the Jones's you need to always do one better. Nokia still takes care of its customers - the Lumia 900 brought me into the Windows Phone fold and I still have my 900 to this day. (My daughter is using it) The level of support and involvement in this company compared to what I've seen with Samsung, HTC and Googlrola is suspect.

Computers last two-three years, why can't modern cellphones?

robstunner

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Because the cell providers insist on overlays and to be frank, they want you to use that 2 year upgrade as soon as your eligible. My one x was great after the first update was released and multitasking was improved. Either way I ran cm10 on it but that was a whole other can of worms. Either way, gotta go now as I leave my Lumia on the charger because it dropped from 32% to 0% in my pocket over the course of 15 minutes. :-\

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the carriers insist on overlays -- that's something that the phone OEMs do to "differentiate," the idea being that all Android devices are the same without a lovely "custom skin."

robstunner

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the carriers insist on overlays -- that's something that the phone OEMs do to "differentiate," the idea being that all Android devices are the same without a lovely "custom skin."
Motorola came out an said Verizon requests a custom skin as they tried making it as aosp as possible.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Not so. "Blur" was a codename for a differentiated Android skin since before the Verizon deal was inked. Motorola ended up naming it "Blur" because the names that marketing came up with weren't as compelling in focus groups. Motorola ended up bumping Palm's Pre Plus into "also-ran status" with the Droid due to promising a "better than iPhone UI" and a differentiated experience via custom skins.

Once that happened, "skins" became the accepted way to differentiate an Android handset, and the accursed race began.

robstunner

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Not so. "Blur" was a codename for a differentiated Android skin since before the Verizon deal was inked. Motorola ended up naming it "Blur" because the names that marketing came up with weren't as compelling in focus groups. Motorola ended up bumping Palm's Pre Plus into "also-ran status" with the Droid due to promising a "better than iPhone UI" and a differentiated experience via custom skins.

Once that happened, "skins" became the accepted way to differentiate an Android handset, and the accursed race began.

Very so

http://www.fiercemobilecontent.com/...rriers-mercy-android-customization/2012-10-17

"Pressed on whether operators are the driving force behind Motorola smartphones like Verizon Wireless' (NYSE:VZ) Razr HD, which integrates a custom skin, custom Verizon software and ships with Android 4.0 instead of the current Android 4.1, Osterloh said "Our partners sometimes want customizations. [...] Our interest is to make it as close to Android as possible and generally we negotiate somewhere in the middle."

Last edited:

colmsmyth

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
nope...you cant just change country setting to you Local Scout...it doesn't work...at least it doesn't work in Ireland anyway...you think it would support Ireland seeing as how Microsoft's EU Software Development HQ is here in Dublin and WP was partially designed here..

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I didn't know custom user interfaces were considered bloatware.....

How else would you define a piece of pervasive, non-standard software that compromises performance and can't be removed without rooting the phone? If there is a word for something worse than bloatware I'd use it, but I'm not aware of one.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Very so

Motorola: We're at carriers' mercy on Android customization - FierceMobileContent

"Pressed on whether operators are the driving force behind Motorola smartphones like Verizon Wireless' (NYSE:VZ) Razr HD, which integrates a custom skin, custom Verizon software and ships with Android 4.0 instead of the current Android 4.1, Osterloh said "Our partners sometimes want customizations. [...] Our interest is to make it as close to Android as possible and generally we negotiate somewhere in the middle."

Quick! Name one unlocked Motorola Phone sold outside the USA that doesn't have a custom skin!

(tick tock, tick tock)

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
It would mean less work -- standard Android on the majority of phones, the "custom UI for Verizon" on the CDMA versions (which are fundamentally different from the GSM devices sold everywhere else).

robstunner

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
While I agreed, I would assume it would be more work given they would have to maintain two versions, even if one was aosp

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss