Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Global Posts
    912 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Not so. "Blur" was a codename for a differentiated Android skin since before the Verizon deal was inked. Motorola ended up naming it "Blur" because the names that marketing came up with weren't as compelling in focus groups. Motorola ended up bumping Palm's Pre Plus into "also-ran status" with the Droid due to promising a "better than iPhone UI" and a differentiated experience via custom skins.

Once that happened, "skins" became the accepted way to differentiate an Android handset, and the accursed race began.
    Very so

http://www.fiercemobilecontent.com/s...ion/2012-10-17

"Pressed on whether operators are the driving force behind Motorola smartphones like Verizon Wireless' (NYSE:VZ) Razr HD, which integrates a custom skin, custom Verizon software and ships with Android 4.0 instead of the current Android 4.1, Osterloh said "Our partners sometimes want customizations. [...] Our interest is to make it as close to Android as possible and generally we negotiate somewhere in the middle."

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express
    Last edited by robstunner; 11-26-2012 at 08:09 AM.

nope...you cant just change country setting to you Local Scout...it doesn't work...at least it doesn't work in Ireland anyway...you think it would support Ireland seeing as how Microsoft's EU Software Development HQ is here in Dublin and WP was partially designed here..
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robstunner View Post
    I didn't know custom user interfaces were considered bloatware.....
    How else would you define a piece of pervasive, non-standard software that compromises performance and can't be removed without rooting the phone? If there is a word for something worse than bloatware I'd use it, but I'm not aware of one.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    Thought I got lost and ended up in the android forum.
    brmiller1976 likes this.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robstunner View Post
    Very so

Motorola: We're at carriers' mercy on Android customization - FierceMobileContent

"Pressed on whether operators are the driving force behind Motorola smartphones like Verizon Wireless' (NYSE:VZ) Razr HD, which integrates a custom skin, custom Verizon software and ships with Android 4.0 instead of the current Android 4.1, Osterloh said "Our partners sometimes want customizations. [...] Our interest is to make it as close to Android as possible and generally we negotiate somewhere in the middle."
    Quick! Name one unlocked Motorola Phone sold outside the USA that doesn't have a custom skin!

(tick tock, tick tock)

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    How else would you define a piece of pervasive, non-standard software that compromises performance and can't be removed without rooting the phone? If there is a word for something worse than bloatware I'd use it, but I'm not aware of one.
    Malware? ;)

Global Posts
    912 Global Posts
    Quick! Name one unlocked Motorola Phone sold outside the USA that doesn't have a custom skin!

(tick tock, tick tock)
    you do understand that would mean twice the work, right?

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    It would mean less work -- standard Android on the majority of phones, the "custom UI for Verizon" on the CDMA versions (which are fundamentally different from the GSM devices sold everywhere else).

Global Posts
    912 Global Posts
    While I agreed, I would assume it would be more work given they would have to maintain two versions, even if one was aosp

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Hence Motorola's more-or-less disappearance from overseas markets.

Global Posts
    912 Global Posts
    China has a large Moto population.

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    I don't get why some people come to a WP forum to say they got something else. Do these guys go to a Ford dealer to tell them they bought a Chevy? Or go to their mother-in-laws to say they're dumping their wife for a better model?

It's some kind of faux grandstanding that is really not very helpful. Just go to a bar and vent at the bartender instead.
    Gergolos likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterDuck View Post
    I don't get why some people come to a WP forum to say they got something else. Do these guys go to a Ford dealer to tell them they bought a Chevy? Or go to their mother-in-laws to say they're dumping their wife for a better model?

It's some kind of faux grandstanding that is really not very helpful. Just go to a bar and vent at the bartender instead.
    Chill out, dude. That's what you do when you are deeply attached to something and you get very frustrated. This was the place I used to come for news and discussions for over a year on a daily basis, so I wanted to share my thoughts with you people, not a bartender. It was my frustration with WP that led me to buy an Android phone.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Well, if that is acceptable behavior, perhaps the hundreds of WP users on the forum who switched from Android should head over to the Android forum and start one new thread each, explaining how Android was frustrating trash and WP is clearly superior. I'm sure they wouldn't mind at all, and if they complained, you could just say "chill dude," right?

Seriously, I am happy that you're happy with your new ecosystem. Enjoy. Go head over there to talk about it, and we won't bother you over there about how happy we are that our phones don't crash and freeze several times a day (unlike our Android devices).

Actually you should. This will help WPs user base increase and lead to the development of an Instagram app for WP.
    /s

Seriously, I am happy that you're happy with your new ecosystem. Enjoy. Go head over there to talk about it, and we won't bother you over there about how happy we are that our phones don't crash and freeze several times a day (unlike our Android devices).
    I'm sorry you'd rather live in a happy bubble than having to talk to people who has different opinions than yours.

My Titan used to crash, had huge connectivity issues and a laggy scrolling. My Android is lag free and works fine.

Global Posts
    912 Global Posts
    Well, if that is acceptable behavior, perhaps the hundreds of WP users on the forum who switched from Android should head over to the Android forum and start one new thread each, explaining how Android was frustrating trash and WP is clearly superior. I'm sure they wouldn't mind at all, and if they complained, you could just say "chill dude," right?

Thanks for taking all the freezing problems for me. Haven't had one in a while!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I left Android and iOS for Windows Phone.
    Thanked by:

I sold my Nokia and got an S3. Now I'm a happy camper with a customisable interface and most importantly lots of medical apps. I may take another look at WP if they increase the number of medical apps from zero.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    912 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spazzmaster View Post
    I sold my Nokia and got an S3. Now I'm a happy camper with a customisable interface and most importantly lots of medical apps. I may take another look at WP if they increase the number of medical apps from zero.

What medical field are you in?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

My wife complains of the same thing. She is a registered dietician and WP offers her nothing.

Why do people feel the need to go to a forum for a product only to say that they don't use the product? If you love Android go over to an Android forum and be positive about it. Coming here to say all that you don't like about WP is kind of unnecessarily negative.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by dalydose View Post
    Why do people feel the need to go to a forum for a product only to say that they don't use the product? If you love Android go over to an Android forum and be positive about it. Coming here to say all that you don't like about WP is kind of unnecessarily negative.
    blind support offers MS and Nokia nothing. If you go to a restaurant and get bad service, then tell them everything was great - how can they get better? Honest criticism is a good thing. So are there things I like - yeah more then those I don't, so I choose to stay. If the scale tips the other way I may choose to leave.
    StevesBalls likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by msualum View Post
    blind support offers MS and Nokia nothing. If you go to a restaurant and get bad service, then tell them everything was great - how can they get better? Honest criticism is a good thing. So are there things I like - yeah more then those I don't, so I choose to stay. If the scale tips the other way I may choose to leave.
    this thread wasn't started by criticism. It was a "why I'm leaving" and didn't really offer much that was productive.

I offer critical analysis all the time but never under the guise of a threat of bailing or that I have already bailed. I don't have such self-importance.

I'm a General Practitioner.
    WP didn't have Medscape when I last checked. The UI really impressed me, but why the absence of medical apps? Even BlackBerry has Medscape.
    The only way I would try WP again is if medical apps became available.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast