Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Okay guys, after a year with my HTC Titan it broke (one week after my guarantee ended, anyway).

Here where I live WP8 isn't comming until next year, so I decided to buy an Android phone to fill the gap. Oh boy I'm digging it.

First, I used to have severe conectivity issues which I blamed the network. Ever since I changed to the RAZRi 3G and Wifi have never been better. (Not related to android but ruined my experience with WP)

Second, I was used to not having apps. I came to Windows Phone from Symbian, so I never had an iPhone or Android. Man, if I knew what I was missing I'd have changed earlier. Here in Brazil, live scout, tell me and a few other features are not supported, which aggravates badly the feature list of Windows Phones. Simple things like my bank app, an app to buy movie tickets, the verge and others were missing for me.

Third, notifications. Live tiles do a very poor job on this. I love how Android notifies me of everything that is happening on services and inside the phone (downloads, etc) in the notification bar and keeps it persistend until I swipe away.

That's it. I've been around here for a year checking daily for news, and now I'll be much less around. I hope this OS succeed, it is the sexiest around, but for me isn't cutting right now as it is.
    Thanked by:
    RyanR47 likes this.

You know you can simply go in the setting and change you location to United-States and boom you have local scout and all the US only features right?

It seems like you didn't know that... regarding apps... well the verge will be on WP soon enough and other mainstream apps like Instagram announced they were working on an app for WP8... The thing is that WP8 is not on their priority. So I'll simply enjoy my WP8 while those apps that I wont use come out.

Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    There is no doubt android is way better than the current state of WP8. Jelly bean is super smooth and the lag is over
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    RyanR47 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Tupper View Post
    You know you can simply go in the setting and change you location to United-States and boom you have local scout and all the US only features right?
    I know that, but what's the purpose if there is no content for my city? Meanwhile, Google Local has everything with plenty of reviews and all.

I've already been waiting for apps for a year. I've asked my bank many times for an app.

Quote Originally Posted by adamopinheiro View Post
    I know that, but what's the purpose if there is no content for my city? Meanwhile, Google Local has everything with plenty of reviews and all.

I've already been waiting for apps for a year. I've asked my bank many times for an app.
    Well WP's app store is likely to grow fast, but if you are not into the waiting thing, then it's nice for you to be happy with your Android phone.
    But I think most people here are very happy with their windows phones
    Quote Originally Posted by eortizr View Post
    There is no doubt android is way better than the current state of WP8. Jelly bean is super smooth and the lag is over

Richard Edmonds
    UK Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Newsroom UK Shift Manager - Mobile Nations

Email: rich@mobilenations.com
    Twitter: @RichEdmonds
    Socl: RichEdmonds
    Villain and brmiller1976 like this.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    "OK, OK, well Jelly Bean DOES still crash and lag and stuff, but they've fixed that with Kandy Kake! Or maybe it will be fixed in Licorice. Well anyway, if you get a Nexus, you'll get the updates instantly! Well, unless your Nexus is a Nexus One, Nexus S, or Galaxy Nexus, in which case you'll never get the update. But you can install a custom ROM!"
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,044 Global Posts
    Ha! This is true. I remember ICS was supposed to be the version sent from heaven, and now with jellybean Android users are saying, "This version is perfect. This time we mean it."
    My next phone...
    brmiller1976 and Klevis like this.

Global Posts
    911 Global Posts
    Dear god you android haters are worse than the iPhone haters.
    Thanked by:
    bawboh86 and StevesBalls like this.

Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    I have had all kind of phones and os and the true is that the galaxy s3 running jelly bean is near perfection. I love the Lumia 920 but hate wp8 lack of apps.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    The Galaxy S3 with JB is wonderful if you like lags, freezes, crashes, and an email account that "forgets" to check your Exchange server ever few days (leaving you with a pile of 100+ unread emails).

Oh, and battery life is appalling. I could never get more than eight hours without plugging in... That is about the same as my 2009 Palm Pre. *shudders*

Global Posts
    911 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    The Galaxy S3 with JB is wonderful if you like lags, freezes, crashes, and an email account that "forgets" to check your Exchange server ever few days (leaving you with a pile of 100+ unread emails).

Oh, and battery life is appalling. I could never get more than eight hours without plugging in... That is about the same as my 2009 Palm Pre. *shudders*
    Battery life on the galaxy s3 is amazing but the problem is you literally need to go on each app and close or disable stuff.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    That's not "amazing battery life." That's "crap design."

Android has been out for almost FIVE years now. You'd figure that at some point, they'd have figured out how to develop a task manager that prioritizes tasks for battery life. Even Symbian and Palm OS Garnet had those.

Expecting the average user to go in and close every "nonessential task" in a propellerhead task manager is just not right. Lousy user experience.
    socialcarpet likes this.

"OK, OK, well Jelly Bean DOES still crash and lag and stuff, but they've fixed that with Kandy Kake! Or maybe it will be fixed in Licorice. Well anyway, if you get a Nexus, you'll get the updates instantly! Well, unless your Nexus is a Nexus One, Nexus S, or Galaxy Nexus, in which case you'll never get the update. But you can install a custom ROM!"
    Are you really going to talk about updates? Bought the Titan thinking that since Microsoft had just rewritten their OS from scratch, they wouldn't screw over and would update my phone.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Did you need an update to keep your Titan from crashing, freezing every few minutes, or lasting on the battery for longer than 7 hours with the stock OS?

(Incidentally, your Titan received a major update in 7.6, and will receive another in the form of 7.8 -- I'd be stunned if the GS 3 gets a version of Android beyond 4.1.)

Global Posts
    911 Global Posts
    http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/11...-note-2-first/

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by robstunner View Post
    Battery life on the galaxy s3 is amazing but the problem is you literally need to go on each app and close or disable stuff.
    Am I the only one that thinks this sounds funny, not the "ha ha" kind?

Global Posts
    911 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blehblehbleh View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks this sounds funny, not the "ha ha" kind?
    expound, if you will....

QUOTE=brmiller1976;1779806]Did you need an update to keep your Titan from crashing, freezing every few minutes, or lasting on the battery for longer than 7 hours with the stock

Fortunately outside the USA we can buy unlocked phones that are bloatware free. Android is king outside the States. Updates are available beyond a single generation. A flagship phone isn't abandoned. The apps ecosystem is awesome. Direct downloads without Zune is possible, control over the UI is available. My WP freezes and reboots about once a day, so I don't see what the purpose of a locked down OS is. In contrast my Note 2 always delivers.

Quote Originally Posted by robstunner View Post
    expound, if you will....
    Seems fairly evident in itself.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spazzmaster View Post
    QUOTE=brmiller1976;1779806]Android is king outside the States.
    Right, and Symbian was king before that.

Updates are available beyond a single generation. A flagship phone isn't abandoned.
    Really? I need to learn more about these mythical non-US Samsung Galaxy S IIs, Nexus S and Nexus One devices that receive miraculous Android updates long after the EVUL CARR'ERS kill 'em in the States.

The apps ecosystem is awesome.
    Good point. As Kapersky notes, the number of Android malware apps has surged from only 936 in Q3 of 2011 to almost 15,000 as of Q2 of this year. That means that malware is now the largest single application category on Android. At current growth rates, a majority of Android apps will be malware by Q2 of 2013! Very exciting. ;)

Android Under Attack: Malware Levels for Google's OS Rise Threefold in Q2 2012

Direct downloads without Zune is possible
    They're available on Windows Phone too. Perhaps you should pick up your mythical device that you "have" and try it out sometime. ;)

My WP freezes and reboots about once a day
    Riiiiiight. This is the Windows Phone that "cannot download without Zune" I assume? Is this device the legendary HTC Bullpuckey, perchance?

Riiiiiight. This is the Windows Phone that "cannot download without Zune" I assume? Is this device the legendary HTC Bullpuckey, perchance?
    Did you need an update to keep your Titan from crashing, freezing every few minutes, or lasting on the battery for longer than 7 hours with the stock OS?
    Yes, I needed an update to stop my Titan from rebooting and having connectivity issues. My friends wouldn't whatsapp me anymore because I it always freezed and I never got the messages. The phone used to reboot from time to time. I had to have a car charger because the phone wouldn't stand a full day of use.

In the other hand, my newly bought Android flies, is totally fluid and did not crash once until now. The battery is waay better compared to the Titan. And it is not even a flagship phone.

spazzmaster is totally right, I bought my phone bloatware free, unlocked. My sister's SII got updated as well, no complaints about that.
    Thanked by:

All my points still stand. I now own a Lumia 800 after owning a Galaxy S2. My android handset was customisable and updated to ICS. Jelly Bean is being rolled out to it before the year ends. My lumia is poor in comparision. I cannot direct download videos, music and books onto it.
    No equaliser for the player.
    And as a healthcare worker the lack of apps is disappointing.
    I really think that you need to experience an unlocked Android handset before making false accusations.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Uh huh. Suuuuurrrrre.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast