Is android falling apart?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
however Samsung is so savvy that they have dual cores matching the competitors low end devices.

I care nothing about core count. I care only about the user experience (measurements, not conjecture) and price.

In regard to being savvy ... No. Samsung isn't more savvy than anyone else. Their advantage over other Android OEM's stems from the following:
?better economic scaling due to higher volume (leads to higher margins or lower prices).
?much larger software budget that they invest into better hardware/software integration and QA (reliability and performance).
?comparatively huge marketing investments (public image).

Freestaterocker is absolutely correct about the point I'm trying to get across. It's all about the software.

Hardware engineering isn't an area in which Samsung's mobile division outshines everyone else (build quality is debatable, but I'm talking only about their devices core hardware)

Although Samsung does well in the software/hardware integration department, what they can achieve with Android is child's play compared to what Apple and Microsoft have done. No amount of savvyness can compensate for the advantages offered by standardized hardware. What can compensate for Android's disadvantage is more powerful hardware, but that isn't available at the low end.

Apple appears unwilling to compete at the low end, which leaves a hole for WP to exploit. That has been my point all along.

Samsung also makes non smartphones too(They quietly killed Bada).

While true, I really don't care. My interest is only with the smartphone market and it's developments. I'm not in the business of routing for any particular OEM.

halimaw96

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Lol what is this blasphemy about battery life? My battery on my 920 barely lasts twelve hours on a charge now with light use, while my friend's Atrix 4G running on Jellybean rom lasts well over twenty four. That's with a smaller battery too. Granted the Lumia processor is a little beefier, but its also supposedly more efficient.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Lol what is this blasphemy about battery life? My battery on my 920 barely lasts twelve hours on a charge now with light use, while my friend's Atrix 4G running on Jellybean rom lasts well over twenty four. That's with a smaller battery too. Granted the Lumia processor is a little beefier, but its also supposedly more efficient.
Do you and your friend have the same carrier? Do both of you have LTE coverage?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Granted the Lumia processor is a little beefier, but its also supposedly more efficient.

You probably aren't making the claim of the 920 having a more efficient CPU based on my previous posts, but just to be clear, that is not at all what I'm saying here. My claims about efficiency are related only to software, not hardware.

920 does seem to suffer from very inconsistent battery performance. There is something really fishy going on, likely related to LTE, the OS and installed apps, although I'm just guessing here.

halimaw96

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Do you and your friend have the same carrier? Do both of you have LTE coverage?
same carrier, although the atrix doesn't have lte access. However, I've already tested my 920 battery life w/o data settings on, and I still get only about 14-15 hours. Not bad, but certainly not great since that's one of the phones main functions. The biggest battery problem for me is the ridiculous idle drain. When I sleep the battery drains 25% in six to seven hours.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I think this whole preference of OS's really comes down to the user. I've read tons of threads like this bashing and defending any one OS and all it came down to was the person. You want a hassle free device that just plain works? Go for iOS. Want a little more customization? Get WP8. Android, especially with JB, is pretty much up to par with these other OS's in terms of fluidity and stability but having that level of customization does come with some drawbacks. I don't suspect that Android is really for anyone who doesn't want to tinker around with their phone every now and then to make it run a little smoother. This sounds pretty bad, but considering that you can install new roms and kernels and basically change every part of the OS, it's a small tradeoff. However, it's not everyone's cup of tea, to each his own.

Going back to the topic, no. Android will not die, at least until other open source OS's (I'm lookin at you, Sailfish.) can eventually chip away at its user base. You always gotta have an open source alternative for the techy ones out there.

Don't rule out the OpenWebOS project. If they can show that the OS can be ported to newer, better hardware then it's game on! Anybody who has ever owned a webOS phone will jump back in faster than old RIM customers for BB10.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Don't rule out the OpenWebOS project. If they can show that the OS can be ported to newer, better hardware then it's game on! Anybody who has ever owned a webOS phone will jump back in faster than old RIM customers for BB10.

I don't know, man... WebOS was awesome but not everyone wants to flash their phone.

halimaw96

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

Ah, I totally forgot about WebOS. I personally never used it, but it would be nice. I'm really rooting for Sailfish, but hey the more the merrier!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't know, man... WebOS was awesome but not everyone wants to flash their phone.

The porting exercise is a proof of concept at this phase. Just as the Ubuntu, Sailfish and Firefox ports are. If there is success with OWOS, carriers and/or OEMs will take notice because everybody knows, as you acknowledged, that webOS was indeed awesome. Ubuntu and the others don't have the prior user experience to go toe-to-toe with OWOS. If OpenMobile ever fulfills their mission of running Android within webOS, you could see a native dual-boot device in the near future. Windows Phone is such a different user experience that it would probably benefit from such an arrangement because the sales scavenging would come at Android's expense. My opinion anyway.

ricbon

May 5, 2012
Visit site
i dont think android is falling apart but i think there will be a big shake up this year with samsung trying to go solo with tizen os that has been reported, but also lets see what johnny ives brings to ios.
edit: and google finally going moto on the nexus program.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
The porting exercise is a proof of concept at this phase. Just as the Ubuntu, Sailfish and Firefox ports are. If there is success with OWOS, carriers and/or OEMs will take notice because everybody knows, as you acknowledged, that webOS was indeed awesome. Ubuntu and the others don't have the prior user experience to go toe-to-toe with OWOS. If OpenMobile ever fulfills their mission of running Android within webOS, you could see a native dual-boot device in the near future. Windows Phone is such a different user experience that it would probably benefit from such an arrangement because the sales scavenging would come at Android's expense. My opinion anyway.

Excellent point! While I'm all for competition to breed improvement, many WebOS refugees have turned to WP due to some similar design concepts, and I feel it's likely those people would return to their first love. (and rightly so) I think, in the end, WP would be hit harder that android. Also by volume... 100,000 people going back to Web OS would hit WP market share pretty hard, whereas Android wouldn't even notice.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
same carrier, although the atrix doesn't have lte access. However, I've already tested my 920 battery life w/o data settings on, and I still get only about 14-15 hours. Not bad, but certainly not great since that's one of the phones main functions. The biggest battery problem for me is the ridiculous idle drain. When I sleep the battery drains 25% in six to seven hours.

I think you may have something wrong with your device or something... I posted a battery saver screenshot in the Ativ S forums from a day where my phone, with only 300mah larger capacity and the same SoC, had gone almost 13 hours with light usage and data off for 10? of those hours and only dropped down to 94% from a full charge.

And here it is!

wp_ss_20130122_0001.png

inside man 55

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
something is wrong with your battery, if I don't leave my phone on the wireless pad I lose about 6-7% while sleeping. On a hard day of use I will have 40% remaining when I leave for home, from the time I use it as an alarm at 6:30 am.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Openmobile sells snake oil as for webOS coming back - there are two hopes for that Bob Hope and No Hope. Even if 20% of people who used webOS came back you are still talking about a tiny ground. You will also never see a native dual boot because of because of what happens behind the scenes with marketing dollars and subs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Openmobile sells snake oil as for webOS coming back - there are two hopes for that Bob Hope and No Hope. Even if 20% of people who used webOS came back you are still talking about a tiny ground. You will also never see a native dual boot because of because of what happens behind the scenes with marketing dollars and subs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Are you always this sunny and optimistic or did someone piss in your Cheerios?

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I care nothing about core count. I care only about the user experience (measurements, not conjecture) and price.

In regard to being savvy ... No. Samsung isn't more savvy than anyone else. Their advantage over other Android OEM's stems from the following:
?better economic scaling due to higher volume (leads to higher margins or lower prices).
?much larger software budget that they invest into better hardware/software integration and QA (reliability and performance).
?comparatively huge marketing investments (public image).

Freestaterocker is absolutely correct about the point I'm trying to get across. It's all about the software.

Hardware engineering isn't an area in which Samsung's mobile division outshines everyone else (build quality is debatable, but I'm talking only about their devices core hardware)

Although Samsung does well in the software/hardware integration department, what they can achieve with Android is child's play compared to what Apple and Microsoft have done. No amount of savvyness can compensate for the advantages offered by standardized hardware. What can compensate for Android's disadvantage is more powerful hardware, but that isn't available at the low end.

Apple appears unwilling to compete at the low end, which leaves a hole for WP to exploit. That has been my point all along.

While true, I really don't care. My interest is only with the smartphone market and it's developments. I'm not in the business of routing for any particular OEM.

Samsung isn't savvy? Ok.... The largest phone maker isn't savvy.

User experience is purely opinionated. Some prefer this while others prefer that, you know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3