Is android falling apart?

nube_android

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys I know this is a little off topic but wanted to ask your opinion from WP fans, do you think android is falling apart? I mean all the phones, even with like 2GB of ram still aren't as smooth as WP8 or iPhones and the only thing it seems they can do is make the phones bigger faster better. And the fragmentation is killing android plus the fact that samsung is now exploring even more beyond android.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, going by market share I'd have to say they're pretty safe ATM, but I know many people who are fed up with the little green robot. Starting with my wife.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Android 4.x is a big improvement on Android 2.x. Having said that, I still feel Android OS is a mediocre operating system compared to WP OS and iOS (and potentially BB 10 OS).

Ironically, I like Google's Chromebook concept (provided the Chromebooks are appropriately priced - $250 or less) a lot better than I like Android.

ryker002

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I've owned android for the past four years since the second release on ATT, and I just switched to WP in November. Saying that I have a lot of experience with the system. Android is open source which means one company can make a masterpiece Android device and then create another that could be the worst of all the devices. However, even having a high end Android which happened to be the HTC One X, Android has its flaws and plenty more then WP has, and the worst of all is the countless viruses you can download in the market without knowing so.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't think so. I am actually concerned for the fight for #3. Blackberry next devices are sexy and have the potential to run android devices.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
IOS and Android days are numbered. People are bored. it's the same thing over and over. Not to mention the sluggishness, freezes, reboots. With a good push from Microsoft marketing team to make people more aware of Windows Phone. It's only a matter of time before Android and IOS market share start to decline.

Apple will go first though :wink:

ryker002

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't think apple will be first to go. Apple has such a hardcore fan base. That it will really never fade, just become less popular then it is today. Unless Apple releases a phone that has features we've not seen before they're sure headed down a steep slope.

crazeee

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
There have been some diabolical Android handsets, but devices like the Galaxy Nexus and now the Nexus 4 really show what Android is capable of. JB in it's native form is probably the most rounded and capable mobile OS out there.

sravanv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
There have been some diabolical Android handsets, but devices like the Galaxy Nexus and now the Nexus 4 really show what Android is capable of. JB in it's native form is probably the most rounded and capable mobile OS out there.

On the money. Android is definitely more creative now than iOS. For people that haven't had the chance to use Google Now, you should take a look at it. Not only is it incredibly useful, it blows iPhone's Siri away in terms of functionality.

While Windows will certainly chip into Android's and iOS' market share, the top two are there to stay and it's my belief that Windows will become a strong #3.

ryker002

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site

They still lag a lot though, not when they're brand new. But after some time they get slow. At least the galaxy does.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I've owned android for the past four years since the second release on ATT, and I just switched to WP in November. Saying that I have a lot of experience with the system. Android is open source which means one company can make a masterpiece Android device and then create another that could be the worst of all the devices. However, even having a high end Android which happened to be the HTC One X, Android has its flaws and plenty more then WP has, and the worst of all is the countless viruses you can download in the market without knowing so.

The HTC One X is hardly a good barometer. HTC claims it is high end but it is worse than the HTC 8x, which has plenty of flaws itself.

GS3, Note 2, Nexus 4, Optimus G. That's it. The rest are garbage. Although I never owned a Note 2 but I am sure it cant be worse than the One X considering the GS3 was so much better.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
They still lag a lot though, not when they're brand new. But after some time they get slow. At least the galaxy does.
Seriously? I was under the impression that Jelly Bean fixed all of that. I hate on the sluggishness of my old android but keep getting told that it's all fixed in Jelly Bean. Is it not?

crazeee

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Had a little lag at times with ICS on the Galaxy, however JB really cured that. JB on the Nexus 4 is seriously rapid. Absolutely no lag.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I just moved over to Android with the Galaxy Note2 after being a Windows user for the past 10-15 years. I'm a Sprint User so I really didn't have a choice. I really like the device but could do without the OS. Jelly Beam is a very smooth OS. I have downloaded and installed a number of apps and have not seen one bit of lag compared to the day I bought it. I'm still not fond of how the OS allows the apps and such are laid out and the limited number of ways you area able to organized your apps for use. I got use, over the years, of running my PDA(smartphone) the same way as I do my computer and then really loved how WP7 allowed us to have the apps we use most on the front screen and simply scroll up through them. If Android ever develops the ability to run with Live tiles in the same or similar manner as Windows does, WP will be in trouble. One thing I do really like about Android is it's ability to files back and forth between my phone and computer. After loosing that ability with WP's OS, I really missed how easy it was. I hated having to run everything through Zune or upload it "To The Clouds" in order to have it available on my Phone. Finally, for me anyway, the decision to go with the Note2 was the simple fact that, like the previous reason for hating the deal with the Cloud for moving items onto my phone, I really missed Stylus input. The stylus' they have out there for these touch screens are horrible at best. The stylus designed for use by Samsung on their Note devices are absolutely fantastic and what should have been the natural progression from the old PDA's instead of just doing away with them. Until now, I really missed being able to jot down a note on my PDA. For years, I always had to carry my phone with me and my PDA until I finally converged with a Touch Pro2. I stayed with that until I was forced to move onto the Arrive when the TP2 stopped working well. I was then forced to go back to carrying two thing again. My Phone and a low tech not pad and erasable pen. Now, with my Note2, I have gone back to just carrying my phone with me again. I do still miss Windows though and hope, in the coming years, they develop better devices that will actually be able to compete seriously with the other OS's out there.

dula714

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I do not think so. Android is pretty strong at the moment and it will get stronger in the coming months. If it wasn't for Nokia, Windows Phone will not have a chance in the market. Android is more mature compared to Windows Phone. Therefore, I think Android will have more market share than Windows Phone for at least another 10 years. Since it is open source, it is too wild too.

If Samsung puts more focus on Windows Phone, it can change the tide.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills