Is android falling apart?

koolkid09

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I hear jellybean makes android silky smooth, but does it stay that way for days/weeks of use without having to reboot?

Just curious

Well I wouldn't know because I always run my phone until it dies. But I haven't had to do a factory reset. My phone is still smooth as the day I received 4.2.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Therefore, I think Android will have more market share than Windows Phone for at least another 10 years. Since it is open source, it is too wild too.

Not even Google themselves would make a statement like this.

You never know what Microsoft might do. They may loosen the restrictions and let HTC, Samsung, and Nokia have their way with the OS. After all HTC home/sense, and Touchwiz did make their first appearances on Windows Mobile.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
If anything, Nexus 4 and 7 demand is showing that Android is just taking off. The sooner Android moves from the OEM skin garbage, the better. It'll never truly go away, but the situation is improving. And Android is slowly taking over the tablet market. See all the reports on the Nexus 7 outselling the iPad in Japan, for example.

People who insist that Android is sluggish have not used Android in a long time. I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. My GS3 screams. No lock ups, no lag, no app incompatibility, no forces closes, no battery problems (all problems I see on the front page of the 920 forum right this minute).
Android's not going anywhere. It's at 70% global marketshare. It'll slip, obviously, no one can maintain that kind of dominance, but as long as Android is provided free to OEMs, it's not going anywhere.
WP's biggest problem might actually be BB10. I was pretty sure WP8 would have put a stake through the heart of BB10 by now, but the tech world is pretty excited about it. That's on the folks over at Microsoft for not taking advantage of a holiday window with no BB competitor to kick it while it's down.

But you gotta buy a flagship to get a good experience on android. Try telling someone who can only afford a low-end device how smooth and stable android is, and I'll SHOW them a Lumia 620 that swims circles around an ICS device in the same price range.

lesd777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Android isn't going anywhere, as you have a large fan base that likes the customization capabilities. I think apple will eventually fade within the next 6 or 7 years, but they have solid apps so they will not be going anywhere anytime soon.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
But you gotta buy a flagship to get a good experience on android. Try telling someone who can only afford a low-end device how smooth and stable android is, and I'll SHOW them a Lumia 620 that swims circles around an ICS device in the same price range.

Not really Samsung is such a savvy company they have low end dual core phones. Others have followed because the materials are cheaper.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
It's the WP OSs small footprint and efficiency-prioritized coding that makes the smooth performance on low-end hardware possible. The 620 will outperform any of those "cheap dual-core" Android devices because of the design philosophy of the OS. The open philosophy of Android ends up being its downfall on the end-user side. The only solution OEMs have to enhance the experience is to "throw more power at it". You can do anything you want to your Android--including break it. You can't break WP with too many apps or the wrong app, or by putting the wrong live tiles on it. Now that devs have native access with WP8 this has the potential to become less true, but for the time being it stands, due to the approval process. MS, at least in theory, is making sure the app doesn't break the OS before it becomes available to the public.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Interesting discussion but there is nothing in the sales figures that suggests android is failing out dying off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
And this statement is based on fact is it.

Yes it is. You can take a low end android and load it up with widgets and watch its performance grind to a halt. Even with JB. I have a friend who has the single-core, 256mb RAM Lumia 610, and she has close to 20 live tiles on her start screen with no ill effect on performance.

Last edited:

crazeee

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes it is. You can take a low end android and load it up with widgets and watch its performance grind to a halt. Even with JB. I have a friend who has the single-core, 256mb RAM Lumia 610, and the has close to 20 live tiles on her start screen with no ill effect on performance.

That's your opinion, it's not fact.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
It's the WP OSs small footprint and efficiency-prioritized coding that makes the smooth performance on low-end hardware possible. The 620 will outperform any of those "cheap dual-core" Android devices because of the design philosophy of the OS. The open philosophy of Android ends up being its downfall on the end-user side. The only solution OEMs have to enhance the experience is to "throw more power at it". You can do anything you want to your Android--including break it. You can't break WP with too many apps or the wrong app, or by putting the wrong live tiles on it. Now that devs have native access with WP8 this has the potential to become less true, but for the time being it stands, due to the approval process. MS, at least in theory, is making sure the app doesn't break the OS before it becomes available to the public.

+1

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
And this statement is based on fact is it.

hey crazeee, I can back freestaterocker up on this. I've conducted measurements on a lot of devices and WP's performance on low-end hardware is spectacular compared to android... including JB. I see this as WP's best chance at gaining marketshare, but the 620 is still a tad too expensive. Shave off another $100, which will happen within 12 months, and WP's usability advantages over similarly priced Android handsets becomes glaringly obvious. This is not opinion, but fact.

The explanation:

Google must develop Android without making any assumptions about the underlying hardware. As a result, they can make absolutely no hardware based performance optimizations. They leave this up to OEM's, which invest as little in this area as possible. On low end devices such efforts are skipped entirely, as doing so is extremely costly.

Microsoft has no such restrictions. They know exactly what hardware the OS will run on (exclusively Qualcomm S4) and they use that knowledge to squeeze every last drop of performance out of the SoC that they possibly can. Those optimizations exist on all levels, and aren't just restricted to drivers as on Android. This explains why Microsoft could squeeze jellybean level UI performance out of a 2008 era SoC on WP7, which was laughably underpowered compared to the Android competition, yet performed better. WP OEM's need do nothing more than install it... no optimization work required, whatsoever.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ what new low end Jelly Bean device did you test?

Well, as what constitutes low-end is debatable, you may disagree. It was a ZTE 880. We tested quite a few "low-end" Android devices, but this was the only one with Jellybean. Out of the box it was okay, and stayed acceptable, until you started installing apps.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
This phone?

Yes. Like I said. What constitutes low-end is debatable, just as what is "new". Fact is that these devices contribute most to market share. I'm not sure exactly what you would call "acceptable" low end, but $200 off contract is beyond what most people in developing economies are willing to spend. That Asha devices still exist isn't entirely coincidental, but it's not a smartphone, which is what all of these customers are really after.

EDIT: Many more devices with the exact same hardware configuration will hit the market in 2013. In that sense the device might just as well be new. That hardware configuration isn't going away anytime soon.

Last edited:

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I can't argue with you on that however Samsung is so savvy that they have dual cores matching the competitors low end devices.

Samsung also makes non smartphones too(They quietly killed Bada).

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I can't argue with you on that however Samsung is so savvy that they have dual cores matching the competitors low end devices.

Samsung also makes non smartphones too(They quietly killed Bada).

I think what a5cent is trying to communicate, which was at the heart of my argument as well, is that it isn't a specs issue: it's about software. A quick perusal of tech review sites will gain you the knowledge that, barring QA issues, a WP device will run smoother and more consistently, perform everyday tasks faster and simpler, and last longer on a charge that an android with identical specs and battery size.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I think what a5cent is trying to communicate, which was at the heart of my argument as well, is that it isn't a specs issue: it's about software. A quick perusal of tech review sites will gain you the knowledge that, barring QA issues, a WP device will run smoother and more consistently, perform everyday tasks faster and simpler, and last longer on a charge that an android with identical specs and battery size.

correct but not against a Jelly Bean designed device. Nevertheless you are 100% correct about the battery life.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3