I want to love WP8, but going back to Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.

skratchz

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I've had my Nokia Lumia 920 for 2.5 months, and I realize I can't get by without my android.

The entire list that was on this website a few weeks back about the 8 things Microsoft must fix, really sums it up.

I've been on Android since I first started using smart phones. I used them when the majority of all good apps were for iPhone. I thought because of this I could deal with WP8 not having certain apps I've grown to love. Google was quick to get apps adopted, and I thought Microsoft would be push developers just the same, but it's not happening.

I can't play Scramble, zombie cafe, dragonvale, etc. I can't listen to Pandora (coming sometime right?? that's all I hear). I try to eat healthy and there is not a single good app for WP8 that lets me scan food products and quickly displays important info with user reviews/ratings. No Amazon MP3 or Video. No Google products, and trust me I blame Google plenty for their outright refusal to release for WP8, but I bet Microsoft would do the same if the roles were reversed, and I LOVE Googles products. gMaps is not a substitute for Google Maps. I could write pages on the problems with the apps or lack of them.

The phones not intuitive. On Android I hit a button and say take me to whatever address, and boom it gets it perfect. Speach to text is bad on WP8, not only in how it works but how it's implemented. I can't see what I say as I say it, I have to hit done. Nokia Maps, Nokia Drive, Bing Maps, etc... are horrible. I read great reviews of them and expected a lot, but it often takes awkward routes. I never use a ringtone, my phone is always on vibrate, but since sound is all tied together I have to turn up my volume just to listen to a voice mail, then forget that I did it and have my phone ring at the wrong time. My Android was a life saver in Europe due to transit apps and using it for subways, etc. I just got back from NYC and my Lumia 920 was WORTHLESS. Did it have apps? Sure, I tried Nokia Transit, and some others... but none of them functioned well, I had to use my sister-in-laws iPhone to figure out how to get anywhere on the subway.

Searching the phone is crap, why they couldn't implement search similar to how they did on surface tablets I don't know. No good notification center. I really liked the idea of Live tiles until I used them. They are like widgets for android, but worse. I can't toggle wifi on and off from a live tile, it just takes me to the system and lets me do it. Information doesn't automatically change based on location. My Weather apps don't pick up that I'm in another location and change the live tile to represent it.

The Lumia 920 has been great on 3 things. Camera, video, and speaker phone. Those are things that annoyed me about previous android phones I had, they were under powered in those areas. I realize now though that none of those are strong enough to give up everything else I have become accustomed to. For people who don't use the full potential of their phones, I can see where WP8 would be great for them, for everyone else... I don't see how you do it. I'm heading back to Android.

ShortSmartGuy

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. Had to turn in my WP8 for an Android this week also. I knew the lack of apps was a problem, but I underestimated how big of a problem it would actually be. And then the fact that many of the good apps cost money, where as you can get a lot of great apps on Android for free! Then there's the lack of basic features like independent volume control and email forwarding with attachments. I want to love WP8 but they have a long way to go.

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I love my 920, but, my Nexus 4 is always with me because WP just isn't quite ready yet IMO..

I don't blame you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
You say WP is not intuitive, but you're going back to Android?

Android is the least intuitive interface I have ever used. But to each their own I guess.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
To each their own no doubt, but I've used an excellent app for NYC subways, called....New York Subway. I don't know what the London or Euro metro apps do, but this one does it all for me when I'm visiting NYC. Surprised to read that you weren't satisfied in being able to get around NYC.

wharfratg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad OP is doing what works best for him. I do wonder about these "I'm leaving" soliloquies, however. What is the intent of posting them? Is there presumably a group of people who will read it and think "oh yeah, I'm dissatisfied with my WP8 but didn't realize it?"

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it was my last android but it sucked bad my buddy has a gs3 ..meh boring. Looks clean but still boring he loves mine l920. I'll get him to switch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad OP is doing what works best for him. I do wonder about these "I'm leaving" soliloquies, however. What is the intent of posting them? Is there presumably a group of people who will read it and think "oh yeah, I'm dissatisfied with my WP8 but didn't realize it?"

These threads happen on every forum for every device made, and they all share the same common intention: "I'm leaving this device but I want others to post replies that agree with me so I feel supported and better about it".
Don't have to be a psychology major to see it. :wink:

I don't know what the impetus is for people to run to other forum members for this support instead of calling their mom....

MezJr

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I dig andriod but while my L920was out for warranty (then lost and a new sent back) I used a GNote (previous phone), and a Nexus 4 (office andriod dev phone) as a replacement on AT&T, and I couldnt wait to get back to WP8. Now that I'm back its so much better. Only thing that has me pissed off is in the intervening time USAA pulled their app from WP8.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
In 2.5 months, it seems like you've learned nothing about WP. Mostly everything you said seems as if you just didn't get it.

Nokia drive on my 8X trumps Google maps for the simple reason of "True" offline voice/turn by turn navigation.

You complain about app selection, when you already knew the state of it.

When I scan products, natively (sometimes), and with dedicated qr+ apps, I get useful suggestions in ratings, price, where to buy, etc.

You don't blame Google for not porting their apps, but blame Microsoft for Amazon not doing the same thing.

The MOST astonishing thing you said was that WP was not intuitive. I actually laughed when I heard that. This is probably the MoST intuitive just because of it simplicity.

I do agree with the search and volume.

Thx for sharing, but you just couldn't change your Android ways.

craigy18181

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Fair play to you and everyone to their own. I find it funny though because you could not pay me to go back to Android now after using it for 2 years. Even when I use my Nexus 7 now it fills me with rage at the times.

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
You Android and iPhone guys were truly spoiled with all your features and apps. Its okay one day we'll be as cool as you guys. There's alot to love about windows phone also alot to swallow if you used other platforms, sure were still that fastest growing mobile OS but as a user it feels like it'll be forever until ppl are posting " eh im bored with windows that why im switching" rather then " I just can't use it because it's missing this and that." Oh well fellow user im glad your using what works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism