Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 130
Like Tree63Likes
  1. hacer619's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    262 Posts
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
       #1  
    So here’s my story.
    Being a Lumia 920 owner, I went today to a store to get the Samsung galaxy s4 and maybe replace my L920. Already having this android lag phobia which I have experienced from previous android devices I had to try the S4 at the store before buying (try before you buy) and you all know how laaaggyyy the L920 is ;p, So I tried it out and didn’t notice any lag and that no apps or games where installed on the device. So I bought the s4 after getting convinced. After I got home I was so happy that I started installing all apps and games installed on my L920, and there it goes I started experiencing the laaaaaaag, yes laaaaaaag (it’s not that the device is unusable, but like a noticeable lag when swiping through apps) and did I mention PHOBIA earlier. So by that time I looked at my L920 which I put aside and said this is my biggest mistake I did when buying a smartphone. I just did a factory reset to my s4 and returned it. End of PHOBIA. I hope google sorts out this issue in their next android release, though I won’t be getting any android device in the future.
    What do you think guys?
    Last edited by hacer619; 06-02-2013 at 04:27 PM.
    Thanked by:
    eric12341, Jazmac and Dare2Blink like this.
  2. Chetan Takyar's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,676 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by hacer619 View Post
    So here’s my story.
    Being a Lumia 920 owner, I went today to a store to get the Samsung galaxy s4 and maybe replace it with my L920. Already having this android lag phobia which I have experienced from previous android devices I had to try the S4 at the store before buying (try before you buy) and you all know how laaaggyyy the L920 is :p, So I tried it out and didn’t notice any lag and that no apps or games where installed on the device. So I bought the s4 after getting convinced. After I got home I was so happy that I started installing all apps and games on my L920, and there it goes I started experiencing the laaaaaaag, yes laaaaaaag (it’s not that the device is unusable, but like a noticeable lag when swiping through apps) and did I mention PHOBIA earlier. So by that time I looked at my L920 which I put aside and said this is my biggest mistake I did when buying a smartphone. I just did a factory reset to my s4 and returned it. End of PHOBIA. I hope google sorts out this issue in their next android release, though I won’t be getting any android device in the future.
    What do you think guys?
    The S4 had a lag specific issue that was fixed yesterday with an update. Also my Nexus 4 does not lag it is just as fast as my iPhone 5, should have tried a Nexus 4 first.
  3. abel920's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    497 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    #3  
    Return it for the 928.
    11B1P likes this.
  4. hacer619's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    262 Posts
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chetan Takyar View Post
    The S4 had a lag specific issue that was fixed yesterday with an update. Also my Nexus 4 does not lag it is just as fast as my iPhone 5, should have tried a Nexus 4 first.
    For real?
    as for nexus devices they are loaded with untouched rom and shouldn't experience any lag
  5. hacer619's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    262 Posts
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by abel920 View Post
    Return it for the 928.
    I kept my L920 and I'm using it now
  6. ohgood's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    840 Posts
    Global Posts
    843 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chetan Takyar View Post
    The S4 had a lag specific issue that was fixed yesterday with an update. Also my Nexus 4 does not lag it is just as fast as my iPhone 5, should have tried a Nexus 4 first.
    well, there ya go, wish granted.
    awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chetan Takyar View Post
    The S4 had a lag specific issue that was fixed yesterday with an update. Also my Nexus 4 does not lag it is just as fast as my iPhone 5, should have tried a Nexus 4 first.
    So to have a lag-free experience I need to buy only specific high-end? Thank god, I can pick up any Lumia from 510 to 928 and not worry about the lag!
    Last edited by rockstarzzz; 05-13-2013 at 01:30 PM.
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

    Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
    Thanked by:
    theefman, eric12341, Duvi and 11 others like this.
  8. joeaux's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    125 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    #8  
    If you want a good, pure AOSP experience grab a Nexus 4. Outstanding Android phone. I picked one up early on. Love it. Dig my yellow 920 more but when I want a change for a while I enjoy the Nexus. Recommended and only 350 off contract. Nice.
    Had 'em all. Every iPhone since day one, Androids out the ****.
    DVP, Lumia 900, now a Yellow 920. Windows Phone is elegant, simple. Nuff Said.
    Some Stuff
    Thanked by:
  9. ammarmalik2011's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    712 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    So to have a lag-free experiences I need to buy only specific high-end? Thank god, I can pick up any Lumia from 510 to 928 and not worry about the lag!
    Nexus 4 retails for $350. A mid-low end Lumia comes within that price range. What specs does a Lumia in the same price range has?
  10. rmichael75's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    298 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ammarmalik2011 View Post
    Nexus 4 retails for $350. A mid-low end Lumia comes within that price range. What specs does a Lumia in the same price range has?
    Lumia 720 - Great Camera - One step below 920. Slek and slim phone. 4.3 inch screen. Expandable with micro sd.
  11. broar94's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    705 Posts
    #11  
    Go for the Nexus 4 not S4 :P if you want unadultered Android with no skin and all that. A Real SmartPhone experience is on Android and not with the WP8 :) . WP has alot of limitations and no unified notification center. If you don't need the camera( of L920) , I would return it and go for an Android.
    Thanked by:
    Chetan Takyar likes this.
  12. rmichael75's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    298 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeaux View Post
    If you want a good, pure AOSP experience grab a Nexus 4. Outstanding Android phone. I picked one up early on. Love it. Dig my yellow 920 more but when I want a change for a while I enjoy the Nexus. Recommended and only 350 off contract. Nice.
    You are right. Need a change of phones to keep away from getting bored.. Anyway I am looking at the new Nokia Asha Phones.
    Elop: Innovation and new products in the Asha line in the days immediately ahead (Read 9th May, Asha 501)!! | Nokiapoweruser

    new operating system. So fresh.

    Somehow I am bored of Androids and IOS icon views..
    mister2d likes this.
  13. #13  
    The lag is due to Touchwiz, which is Samsung's UI overlay, not because of Android itself. Also they release an update to address some of those issues.
    Thanked by:
    xandros9 and Chetan Takyar like this.
  14. ammarmalik2011's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    712 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmichael75 View Post
    Lumia 720 - Great Camera - One step below 920. Slek and slim phone. 4.3 inch screen. Expandable with micro sd.
    Actually it's two step below 920. You've conveniently forgotten the 820. And the hardware that Nexus 4 offers for $350 makes the 720 look like a rip-off. Keeping OS preferences aside this $350 phone gets you a CPU that's even higher end than the 920, twice the RAM of 920, twice the power of Adreno 225 of 920 and a similar resolution screen of 920.
  15. Jaskys's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    603 Posts
    Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    #15  
    Well i tried S4, it's really smooth and doesn't lagg like S3.
    If there wouldn't be Windows phone, i would definetly pick it, even if it looks horrible and has OS that i don't like.
  16. gsquared's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,374 Posts
    #16  
    You guys are sure giving some extra effort for this gentleman to change his mind. What's up with that?

    Hacer, use whatever device makes you happy. Of most of the "advise" I've ever gotten from others, I've found most of it to be completely wrong.
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...
  17. neo158's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,669 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,755 Global Posts
    #17  
    I suffered from a lot of lag on my Galaxy Nexus but I reset it last night and at the moment the lag is gone but, I don't have games installed. My feeling is that Android is smooth enough but only if you don't have masses of data, a lot of top games titles are 1Gb or more, in storage and lots of widgets.
  18. elvisgp's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    681 Global Posts
    #18  
    You guys act like windows phone doesn't lag at all. Now that's not to say android doesn't lag, it certainly does, but windows phone does too. In fact every os lags e even iOS.

    And yes. The S4 had a lag issue because of the amount of features that Samsung forced on there.
  19. rmichael75's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    298 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by elvisgp View Post
    You guys act like windows phone doesn't lag at all. Now that's not to say android doesn't lag, it certainly does, but windows phone does too. In fact every os lags e even iOS.

    And yes. The S4 had a lag issue because of the amount of features that Samsung forced on there.
    Well when you have 8 cores (or 4 core) with double or 4 times the ram and still lag like a single core windows phone device with half the ram, it says so much about your 8 core phone.
  20. elvisgp's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    681 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmichael75 View Post
    Well when you have 8 cores (or 4 core) with double or 4 times the ram and still lag like a single core windows phone device with half the ram, it says so much about your 8 core phone.
    Yup. It says that touch wiz is to blame for the lag.
  21. hacer619's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    262 Posts
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
       #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by elvisgp View Post
    You guys act like windows phone doesn't lag at all. Now that's not to say android doesn't lag, it certainly does, but windows phone does too. In fact every os lags e even iOS.

    And yes. The S4 had a lag issue because of the amount of features that Samsung forced on there.
    True, all OS's lag, but if it was well build with the hardware it wont, the case for WP and iOS to lag is really rare. I've had my L920 for 5 months and I can assure you that I haven't experienced a second of lag (with abt 120 apps and games installed). haven't tried iOS.

    But also and don't get me wrong my Lumia 920 with two cores compared to my(was) Samsung galaxy S4 with 8 cores and double the ram, the s4 still lagged. I think people should blame android oems and not android.

    Its like Windows OS (desktop), PCs with too many oem software preinstalled will have a chance to lag more than PCs with fresh install of windows. there is a research for this info.
  22. elvisgp's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    681 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by hacer619 View Post
    True, all OS's lag, but if it was well build with the hardware it wont, the case for WP and iOS to lag is really rare. I've had my L920 for 5 months and I can assure you that I haven't experienced a second of lag (with abt 120 apps and games installed). haven't tried iOS.

    But also and don't get me wrong my Lumia 920 with two cores compared to my(was) Samsung galaxy S4 with 8 cores and double the ram, the s4 still lagged. I think people should blame android oems and not android.

    Its like Windows OS (desktop), PCs with too many oem software preinstalled will have a chance to lag more than PCs with fresh install of windows. there is a research for this info.
    I agree. Nexus devices with pure stock Android are very smooth.
  23. hacer619's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    262 Posts
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
       #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by gsquared View Post
    You guys are sure giving some extra effort for this gentleman to change his mind. What's up with that?

    Hacer, use whatever device makes you happy. Of most of the "advise" I've ever gotten from others, I've found most of it to be completely wrong.
    sure, I chose L920
  24. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,082 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,204 Global Posts
    #24  
    I have the Nexus 7, and one of the reasons I am not a huge fan of it is that it still wasn't as smooth as WP even though the specs are quite nice. With a different kernel and rom, it was better but def. far from lag free. That said, it sometimes comes down to individual people's tolerance.
  25. hacer619's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    262 Posts
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
       #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by neo158 View Post
    I suffered from a lot of lag on my Galaxy Nexus but I reset it last night and at the moment the lag is gone but, I don't have games installed. My feeling is that Android is smooth enough but only if you don't have masses of data, a lot of top games titles are 1Gb or more, in storage and lots of widgets.
    I don't think it's about the size of the game or app, it's the amount of ram used by background tasks. check your ram usage on your nexus with no running apps or games, should be about 1 of 2gb or even more.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. So I took the leap and got an iPhone 5
    By cckgz4 in forum Apple iOS
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 09-17-2013, 05:45 AM
  2. So I got a Trophy on the way...
    By eragle in forum HTC Trophy
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-15-2011, 08:38 PM
  3. Got the Focus, not liking so far!!!
    By tre-nitty in forum Samsung Focus
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 01-06-2011, 06:12 PM

Posting Permissions