Severing all ties with Google

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
For the last few months I have use Bing exclusively to the tune of one 400 point Xbox card and two $5 WP8 app cards. :grin:

I did like and used Google Voice until I got my L920 and it stopped working so I dumped it a while back. My Gmail account is no longer used so that's done. The only real think left, since I never use my Android tablet anymore, is to find a good replacement for YouTube. Not the app but the service. Anyone have any suggestions? I was looking at Daily Motion.

Thanks.

PS. And if anyone has any experience with a Google Voice replacement I would appreciate it.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, if you stick with YouTube, MyTube and Metrotube would be good to use. :)

I wish i could give up Google entirely, since bing rewards aren't available down here, i probably will not fully go to Bing.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I can understand jumping in the WP8 pool with both feet, but why abandon YouTube?

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
You can always try Vimeo.

I tried Vimeo, but it was a different alternative that I didn't like simply because I couldn't find anything I liked due to it not being very popular. Buy im on the same boat. I don't have my Gmail account anymore either, so instead of finding a YouTube alternative, I just bought Metrotube, and pinned my favorite stations to start. That is like "subscribing" without actually getting another Gmail account just for YouTube 😊

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Dropping youtube for the sake of dropping Google only hurts you. Youtube has zero REAL competition. The shear size of it's collection would take another site forever to match.

Google Voice is also indispensable as well if you use it. There isn't anything like it either, esp. that is free (besides porting a number to it).

I understand that you want to hurt Google and go to other companies, but don't hurt yourself while doing it.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Wtf is the Google Voice? Seriously though, I'm just down to YouTube, though Hangouts is a good idea.

Voice allows you to do a lot of things. It gives you an actual phone number for free. You can then text and call from that number for free (some limitations but not many at all and non that I run into). It has a pretty extensive set of options for blocking/managing phone calls. You can also port a number to it for $20. This is great if you are getting rid of a phone company but don't know what you want to use yet.

What is really great about it is the call and text message forwarding. Let's say you have two cell phones (for whatever reason) and a house phone. Instead of giving out multiple phone numbers, you can just give out your Google Voice phone number. Google Voice can then forward the calls and text messages to all of your phones. This can be awesome in a lot of situations. Consider a wife and husband each have a cell phone and do not want to have a house phone. Google voice can act like a house phone number by forwarding the calls to both people without giving out their actual cell phone numbers.

You could also use it as a spam filter. A lot of different sites require you to give them your phone number to use their services. Don't want them to have your real number? Use your google voice number.

I personally use it because I wanted to keep my cell phone number from Virgin Mobile but didn't want to keep porting it from provider to provider (always lookingg for the best deal). I then ported it to Google Voice so that I don't have to keep updating people on my new number. Their calls to my old number always get to me no matter what my current cell number is.

There are other uses as well.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Voice allows you to do a lot of things. It gives you an actual phone number for free. You can then text and call from that number for free (some limitations but not many at all and non that I run into). It has a pretty extensive set of options for blocking/managing phone calls. You can also port a number to it for $20. This is great if you are getting rid of a phone company but don't know what you want to use yet.

What is really great about it is the call and text message forwarding. Let's say you have two cell phones (for whatever reason) and a house phone. Instead of giving out multiple phone numbers, you can just give out your Google Voice phone number. Google Voice can then forward the calls and text messages to all of your phones. This can be awesome in a lot of situations. Consider a wife and husband each have a cell phone and do not want to have a house phone. Google voice can act like a house phone number by forwarding the calls to both people without giving out their actual cell phone numbers.

You could also use it as a spam filter. A lot of different sites require you to give them your phone number to use their services. Don't want them to have your real number? Use your google voice number.

I personally use it because I wanted to keep my cell phone number from Virgin Mobile but didn't want to keep porting it from provider to provider (always lookingg for the best deal). I then ported it to Google Voice so that I don't have to keep updating people on my new number. Their calls to my old number always get to me no matter what my current cell number is.

There are other uses as well.

Yes, GV is a very good app/service. If they would ever act right and port it over to WP, then I would be a very happy owner.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I am all done with Google. I signed up for Daily Motion. Seemed to be less restrictive than Vimeo.

I have never been real happy with YouTube so dumping it was no big deal. I really liked Voice but, as I said, when I got my new phone it decided that it didn't want to send me my transcribed voicemails any more.

As of yesterday afternoon I am Google free. All accounts deleted.

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes, GV is a very good app/service. If they would ever act right and port it over to WP, then I would be a very happy owner.

Google Voice is absolutely essential for me. I used it for my iPhone, then SG3. I have the extension on my Chrome desktop browser. I can text from my office desktop computer over wifi when I don't have data. Also, no matter what anyone says, typing on an actual keyboard is better than a virtual keyboard on a touchscreen.

I use Metrovoice on WP8. I setup push notifications, and it works very well. Most times, I get the notification on my Lumia before I hear the notification on Chrome browser. I like the Android official app better from a cosmetic standpoint, but Metrovoice is about damn equal in terms of functionality. I wish Voice had MMS.

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Google Voice is absolutely essential for me.

At the end of the day, nothing is essential. ;) Just sayin'

Granted, Google Voice is a great service. I use it myself. I do believe, however, at some point the chickens will come home to roost with regard to that service. Either in the way of some privacy issue, or most likely w/Google exercising their leverage gained by having so many reliant on a unique, useful and free service, something's gotta give. Don't know what - maybe users are charged or get limited functionality if using it on non-Android devices or something. It's the "good, free, useful and unique" rule.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I have tried to drop much of the Google serives, but so far managed to drop gmail. Also gone totally to Here maps, on desktop as well. Google search is tens time better here in Sweden compared to Bing. Bing is near useless for local searches. I'm heavy youtube user and there's no service that can even touch it for now.
I also have active adsense account.

I do like some MS services, like skydrive, but they still have a lot to do on the global refinement Google has on its services.

CopaCC

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I've swapped Outlook for Gmail, Bing for Google search, Windows Phone for Android, and Here for G-Maps. There's still no comparable replacement for Google Earth and YouTube, however. Also still use Blogger for one of my sites.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99