Pulled the trigger and got a HTC One M8

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Maybe you are trying the wrong widgets? I definitely know the widgets on Android have been far better in terms of functionality than the live tiles from WP from what I have seen so far.

I have app settings running through x-posed and have my Google search widget visible through my lock-screen. A lot of very pertinent information is locked on here and I can make any voice command from here as well. The widgets can definitely have far more functionality than a live tile.

If you use basic widgets this isn't apparent maybe.

I don't need a widget voice commands for WP when I can just hold down the search button for Cortana. Even from lock screen. So that widget us just unneeded resources that 8.1 had improved on. You also need to root to do that assuming that what x-posed is? I don't know what that is

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Slayix312

May 31, 2014
Visit site
I don't need a widget voice commands for WP when I can just hold down the search button for Cortana. Even from lock screen. So that widget us just unneeded resources that 8.1 had improved on. You also need to root to do that assuming that what x-posed is? I don't know what that is

Of course. I'm not saying that is the most efficient manner. Just an example of the much higher level integration that widgets can do.

Heck with the M8 if you swipe down on the screen, from it being completely turned off; it brings up the voice command function. That is about as basic and intuitive as it gets.

You also need to root to do that assuming that what x-posed is? I don't know what that is

Yep; which is why I said in an earlier post that Android is as powerful or as basic as you want it to be. WP is pretty much locked down and what you see is what you get.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Don't get me wrong. I would never think that WP is more powerful than Android custom wise. As I stated before no OS is perfect. I personally just think WP UI unaltered is much better. And for me the live tiles being integrated more directly to apps are more useful than widgets. Now if it still 8.0 I wouldn't argue anything but they made great strides with 8.1. But vanilla Android and WP I'll choose WP. Custom hands down Android

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
That's just the point. Widgets are limited only to what is available. Yes tiles are information but they are tied into the apps better than widgets. What I mean by that is that a dev can tie their information direct into the tile and don't need to make a separate widget. Most widget do not interact any more than live tiles. Yes you can scroll or directly interact. I won't argue with that. But native widgets are horrible unless using a third party widget or launcher. With live tiles I have more information on more tiles from more apps because of the OS design language. That to me is more useful than.

I'm confused. What are you talking about? Are you saying you can view more information on live tiles than widgets?

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm confused. What are you talking about? Are you saying you can view more information on live tiles than widgets?

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

I am saying more apps have live tile integrated than apps having widgets.

Mmazeo

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I'll never understand choosing a platform because of the apps it offers. lol Yes, if you are one of those that need an app to tell you when to change you underpants, Windows Phone / RT isn't for you.

Just how did our parents make it without an app telling them its time to put us to bed?

Sent from my Surface 2 using Tapatalk

Guy it's 2014. It's not that people necessarily need the apps, but if they're available they definitely make using these awesome devices easier/more fun.

I really wanted to go WP but this past weekend I got the HTC One M8 as well. I'm coming from Apple and moving to WP without so many of the things that I was used to was just too much of a deal breaker. I'm going to watch WP closely though and hope they progress on the app front.

Mmazeo

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I don't do iOS. That's probably the only thing I ever been biased about. iOS never impressed me at all. I've used Android for over 4 years since 2008. I still like the OS. I don't love it like I used. But I can see that Kit Kat has improved the experience and the M8 is very limited on features. Blinkfeed is okay. Kinda cluttered. I don't have an quarrels with the camera. It's not 1520 but I'm not a camera junkie, or I would had pulled the trigger on the 1020. The Live Tiles is what I'm missing the most right now and the Notification on WP is by far way better than on Android.

Having Google Voice is a big plus right now, even though AT&T Visual Voicemail is quite good. But I missed using my Google Voice for certain communication for people who I didn't want to give my real number to.

Time Warner TWC TV
Run Keeper
Better Red Box
WAY better Slacker
Better PayPal
Better MyFitnessPal
Local News. I used KVUE for WP and that app was so trashed, it don't even pull news feeds anymore. It's a dead app that MS won't remove no matter how many times I've complained it's a broken app
Better Groupon . The WP app is a joke.
Isis Wallet
Assurant ( my health insurance )
Amazon MP3
Capital One

I haven't even finished grabbing the rest of apps I use frequently. And of course we can say there's this app and that app that will replace this app and that. We can list all the 3rd party apps. But that's the biggest issue for me. We have to make sacrifices in order to be content. Look at the fiasco with WhatsApp. Things like this are bad for the better built ecosystem and will not get people to come on board.

It will be there, and I will still be around for it, but for now, I might just enjoy the little perks that Android has. I will say though it will make it harder for convincing people to switch OS when MS keeps add all their apps to Android and iOS. I can vouch for that from my own personal experience right now. At least now I can have both OS and view side by side. The app drawer is boring. I may have to look into other launchers, but I didn't realize how lackluster the screen were after being with Live Tiles for so long.

Themer man. Go get this app and get yourself a beautiful home screen.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
:(

So what is it? It sure looked a lot like the Sense 6.0 I've seen, so that'd explain my confusion.

Launcher 8

However you are partially correct that the software on the M8 it's very nice flat and modern. It's the best Android skin I've seen considering I been out the loop for two years.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
How do you like that Launcher 8? Are their different size tiles?

Meh. It's a good launcher. Needs improvement but very customizable. Best thing about WP is the static wallpaper in the tiles. L8 can't mimic that so they use transparency and background wallpaper. Something I think WP should have both options, but not really needed.

There's all kinds of themes you can use, the only thing that sucks is when you set up a new theme, you have to reload all the widgets and bind the tiles to the apps each time. That's annoying. You can opt for 4 or 6 tiles settings. Widgets scrolling is broken when they are set in the tile, since the whole launcher scrolls like WP. Something that needs fixing. Also this is a Chinese Launcher and allot of translation are not in the settings so you see stuff in Chinese :-/.

I like that app drawer for WP. I cannot get use again to the ugly list of icons for Android. At least with L8 it gives me the option to set the app drawer like WP8. Overall it's a good launcher, but only because it gives me my WP feel and uses the space resources much better than widgets all over the place on Android Skin. And as I have stated before, since Live Tiles have more apps tied into information for the app, I don't have many tiles for this Launcher. Most of the tiles are just shortcuts. I'm started to realize how much more I appreciate Live Tiles and information right on the screen for all my news, Cortana, calendar and others. I'm really split between the two OS. I like them both, but I find WP aesthetic so much more appealing, yet miss the full custom options Android provides.

However, since I've had this phone, I've needed to reboot twice and had several apps crashing.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Why I like Android customization and wish Live Tiles was more flexible in sizing.

4207.jpg

Attachments

• 4864.jpg
    4864.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 4863.jpg
    4863.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 4865.jpg
    4865.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 4866.jpg
    4866.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 6

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Loosely translated, there's a saying we Cubans love to quote to those who have nothing to offer except vocal diarrhea. It goes something like "for different tastes, God created colors".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05