Are there any good Nokia Here Drive alternatives on Android?

jtsmak

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
For those of us who use Nokia Here Drive on our WP phones may take it for granted since it is always an app that we have access to. I just got an Android phone as a second phone (Yes switching back and forth from 520 to Moto G depends on day of week and mood!)

I am sure that I am not the only one with multiple phones, but any Here Drive users here found an acceptable GPS navigation App to use on Android?

I am asking on a WP forum since Android ppl have no clue of how Here Drive works and how powerful it is.
If Nokia sells Here drive for $10 on Android, I would for sure get it.

Thanks.

jtsmak

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Google maps offline capability is very limited. If you are at a remote area without data, you can't even load it or search. Here Drive users will understand.......lol.

I still love my 520!

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
For those of us who use Nokia Here Drive on our WP phones may take it for granted since it is always an app that we have access to. I just got an Android phone as a second phone (Yes switching back and forth from 520 to Moto G depends on day of week and mood!)

I am sure that I am not the only one with multiple phones, but any Here Drive users here found an acceptable GPS navigation App to use on Android?

I am asking on a WP forum since Android ppl have no clue of how Here Drive works and how powerful it is.

Thanks.

ONLINE navigation is just the tip of the iceburg on android:
Waze
Google maps
navigon
and 15-20 more that smoke the wp apps

OFFLINE navigation, tracking, route planning, geocaching, map sharing etc is so much more than just a navigation app:

oruxmaps
sygic
osmand /osmand+
locus / locus pro
sygic
back country navigator
dualsportmaps

and about 15-20 more that have no competition on wp

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
just remembered to mention this, you can download vector based maps for your area (or the entire country!) for free, and then point RJ android applications at that map on the sdcard, or internal memory.
http://www.osmmaps.com
vector based maps are tiny (2gb for the entire USA) compared to image based, render faster, and have more detail.

then, you can also turn on contour lines, hill shading, and boundaries (municipal) for an even better idea of the terrain.

uploading tracks, routes, full maps/sections to places like gpsies/drive/mega/etc to share work your friends is integrated into the share dialogues.

there's nothing like having a Buddy ask about an area two States away, plotting a route to get there, then sending it to his phone via WiFi direct (or Bluetooth) all while sitting around a campfire. no cellular signal required.

jtsmak

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Copilot GPS looks nice similar to here drive. If I pay the $8 upgrade, are there any functions that I won't get? I know live traffic is only 1 year. thanks.

Hassan Almaweri1

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Thanks.
I
I am a professional driver by trade and my favorites are 3 apps number ONE copilot it's user interface is the best ...my number TWO is Here Maps l prefer to use it over Here Drive....i just wish Nokia create a better UI like co pilots UI and my THIRD is Navigon l have it in both platforms Android and Windows phone....so COPILOT is the best alternative you buy it once and you can use it in any platform...good luck I hope this helped

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Thanks.

I have iPhone, Android, and Windows Phone.

On Android, the closest thing I've used is Route 66-powered navigation on my HTC One V. Since it use HERE infrastructure, i get the same benefits, i.e., offline maps, 3D view, etc. Works perfectly with the "car mode" of the HTC One V.

On other Android phones and iPhone, it is called Route 66 Navigate.

Try it.

I also use Waze on all three phones.

rajthilak

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Can someone explain how here drive works

HERE maps is the one which i use it for some years now. I was using Nokia maps earlier when i had my Nokia X6 earlier and now rebranded as HERE in my L820. The best here is that we can download the maps for the region we have to travel to our phone. Then, we are good to go. No need of data connection. Instannt search results. Best navigation options. If we miss a turn which maps tells us to turn, HERE maps will automatically reroute by itself which was not there in google till sometime back(i am not sure how google maps is currently available). Various language voice reader's are available too. And the best addition now in here maps is 1. "My Commute" and "Find My Car". they are seriously awesome to give it a try.

jtsmak

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I have iPhone, Android, and Windows Phone.

On Android, the closest thing I've used is Route 66-powered navigation on my HTC One V. Since it use HERE infrastructure, i get the same benefits, i.e., offline maps, 3D view, etc. Works perfectly with the "car mode" of the HTC One V.

On other Android phones and iPhone, it is called Route 66 Navigate.

Try it.

I also use Waze on all three phones.

How much to buy it after trial?

jtsmak

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
wow guys, anyone noticed that this forum post topic made it to front page of wpcentral. Thanks to those who replied.

Copilot, when looking for an address, you need to enter first the city, then the street name and house #. Can you just copy and paste an address and get it to work?

Navfree not bad, but the maps and interface needs major improvements, can even see where the routes are.

My friend just suggested one that I think is good so far, except screen icons and buttons are way too small-----------> OSMAnd.

Any other programs that can beat this? Thanks

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
wow guys, anyone noticed that this forum post topic made it to front page of wpcentral. Thanks to those who replied.

Copilot, when looking for an address, you need to enter first the city, then the street name and house #. Can you just copy and paste an address and get it to work?

Navfree not bad, but the maps and interface needs major improvements, can even see where the routes are.

My friend just suggested one that I think is good so far, except screen icons and buttons are way too small-----------> OSMAnd.

Any other programs that can beat this? Thanks

see the list I posted above.

with mapping applications, generally the bigger the buttons, the smaller the included list of features.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs