So whats your thought about Android L?

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
It's very funny to post Android and Google related thread in WPCentral.
Most of users are here are Google and Android hater.

Anyway
I think Android L is great.
Every OS has it's advantages and disadvantages.

WP have only two advantages over Android
1) Security
2) Update
but in WP even basic apps like Xbox Music in beta and hellish laggy. Even Cortana is only available in US right now and rest of countries will get it till late 2015 and MS just now realize that they have to improve their services for rest of the world too.Which will take a long long time.

In Android this is not case. Google services are far better and superior of non American countries compare to MS services.
Google Now available for every country and works like a charm.
I think Google Now will always be better than Cortana. why?
because of time they were launched.
Even in 2015 when MS in busy in making Cortana available everywhere. Google will not sit and do nothing. That time they will further improve GN.
and Google services like Google search, Map etc are better than Bing and Bing map for rest of the world.
that is why Google now has even more advantages over Cortana because if you ask nearest restaurant or a coffee shop, then we all know Google map as far more informative than Bing map.
So, GN will pulled better result than Cortana.

This is just an example.

In Android L every thing is improved whether it's Chrome, GN or anything else.
and It's worth checking out because it's a bigger update compared to last 4 Android updates.

and one more thing
I really want to see performance test between all three major OS Android L , WP8.1 and iOS 8.

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Great, if it increases the quality everybody wins!

Everybody 'copies' everybody, Microsoft does it too, and again, if it increases quality the customer wins.

Totally agreed.
You can't expect every best feature in one OS.
All OS has something or some features which they offer best compared to others.
and
Bring those best features in OS isn't bad thing.

and
yeah WP Notification is carbon copy of Samsung Galaxy phone notification.

and if remember correctly Android is the first OS which bring centralized notification center in smartphone.

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
It can be other way around only if somehow Samsung had saw future in 2010 that WP is going to release action center in 2014

Anyway what makes you think that it is other way around?

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I thought you meant this notifications that show up when someone is calling, this is what we know under name toast notifications.
My bad, sorry.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
use Microsoft services?

Google will know as much as you allow them to.

I am already shifting all my platform from Google to Microsoft. Waiting for the OS and the ecosystem to become riper if Microsoft wakes up.

I don't agree Google only knows as much as i allow them. Once you are a Chrome/Android/Gmail/(some also G+) user, Google knows basically everything about you. I am for platform fragmentation and no monopolies. Prefer smaller companies with more variety and competition and more privacy. The only way to let Google know only what you want them to know is to avoid part of their services (G+/Chrome) and only use Gmail for the things you think are worth being shared.
I am on a totally fragmented platform and i am happier. I use different services for different things. I see improvements. Will never go with 1 single operator again except for what i need.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I am already shifting all my platform from Google to Microsoft. Waiting for the OS and the ecosystem to become riper if Microsoft wakes up.

I don't agree Google only knows as much as i allow them. Once you are a Chrome/Android/Gmail/(some also G+) user, Google knows basically everything about you. I am for platform fragmentation and no monopolies. Prefer smaller companies with more variety and competition and more privacy. The only way to let Google know only what you want them to know is to avoid part of their services (G+/Chrome) and only use Gmail for the things you think are worth being shared.
I am on a totally fragmented platform and i am happier. I use different services for different things. I see improvements. Will never go with 1 single operator again except for what i need.

AFAIK the Play Store ToS recently changed in such a way, that Google can even access the data you didn't give permission for.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
AFAIK the Play Store ToS recently changed in such a way, that Google can even access the data you didn't give permission for.

I am not sure about that but i am sure they see all the traffic you do on Chrome, Gmail etc. Essentially they spy constantly and effortlessly on your private life in order to "improve customer services". I refuse to be part of that game. That's why i moved on WP, which is surely not very private either but it's a bit better. Next step if BB wakes up is going to BlackBerry.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I've came back from android land and it's true, no matter how good you're specs are, no matter how recent the version of android you have, it will lag, it will freeze, it will be incosistent (maybe android L will change things). there was even a time when I was using facebook and the app froze because I scrolled too fast. don't waste your money folks, just stick with windows phone, the apps will come (that is the only thing android has over windows phone).

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
It's very funny to post Android and Google related thread in WPCentral.
Most of users are here are Google and Android hater.

Anyway
I think Android L is great.
Every OS has it's advantages and disadvantages.

WP have only two advantages over Android
1) Security
2) Update
but in WP even basic apps like Xbox Music in beta and hellish laggy. Even Cortana is only available in US right now and rest of countries will get it till late 2015 and MS just now realize that they have to improve their services for rest of the world too.Which will take a long long time.

In Android this is not case. Google services are far better and superior of non American countries compare to MS services.
Google Now available for every country and works like a charm.
I think Google Now will always be better than Cortana. why?
because of time they were launched.
Even in 2015 when MS in busy in making Cortana available everywhere. Google will not sit and do nothing. That time they will further improve GN.
and Google services like Google search, Map etc are better than Bing and Bing map for rest of the world.
that is why Google now has even more advantages over Cortana because if you ask nearest restaurant or a coffee shop, then we all know Google map as far more informative than Bing map.
So, GN will pulled better result than Cortana.

This is just an example.

In Android L every thing is improved whether it's Chrome, GN or anything else.
and It's worth checking out because it's a bigger update compared to last 4 Android updates.

and one more thing
I really want to see performance test between all three major OS Android L , WP8.1 and iOS 8.
haven't you read that microsoft is trying to add a localised cortana for evey country. cortana uses bing > bing is localised for countries > nearest cinema is shown on cortana for your reigon. Have faith in Windows.

misfitpierce

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Well I only use Windows Phone for my main phone lines but have some android laying around for playing around with. I wouldn't say all androids lag and freeze regardless of how much I dislike the platform now. Def true that its a free for all now which messes with optimization but HTC does the best with being skinned. That said pure vanilla android runs pretty well and I can go without lag but on most phones you have to root and optimize things yourself which is the issue. Shouldn't have to do all that.

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
The new "material" design language looks cool. And its great to see it used across web and mobile.

Android however I'm not a fan of.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Well I only use Windows Phone for my main phone lines but have some android laying around for playing around with. I wouldn't say all androids lag and freeze regardless of how much I dislike the platform now. Def true that its a free for all now which messes with optimization but HTC does the best with being skinned. That said pure vanilla android runs pretty well and I can go without lag but on most phones you have to root and optimize things yourself which is the issue. Shouldn't have to do all that.
That is exactly why I dislike android, why should you have to go spend time rooting and optimizing things when most thing should be fine out of the box and require little maintenance. For example , popular manufacturers disable the saving apps to sd card function or only let you store a bit of data. This means you have to root just so you can store apps to the sd card. On windows phone 8.1 you can store apps to the sd out of the box, just enable the setting. If the app developer doesn't want you to install to the sd for performance issues then they will disable the function just for the app. That's the way it should be, no spending time with your phone, tweaking it until you think its perfect enough but setting the phone up and getting on with things, getting on with life.

C

Craigtrain

That's the way it should be, no spending time with your phone, tweaking it until you think its perfect enough but setting the phone up and getting on with things, getting on with life.

Most Android users don't sit around tweaking their phones. A lot of enthusiasts do though.

You can burn up just as much time tweaking your live tiles and backgrounds on Windows Phone.

Tre Lawrence

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Most Android users don't sit around tweaking their phones. A lot of enthusiasts do though.

You can burn up just as much time tweaking your live tiles and backgrounds on Windows Phone.

Agreed.

I'm rooted and such. I get the ROM I want and am done, mostly for the life of the device. 20 minutes tops.

I spend more time messing with Live Times LOL.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Why? I can always switch back if what you say turns out to be true.

I'm a customer, I don't have a relationship with Windows Phone. Using "faithful" in this context is creepy.

So right. These are phones and big companies... Not family members. As informed consumers, we can switch around as much as we like to suit our preferences/needs.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss