Temporarily using Android - My experience

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
(Edited to clear some stuff up)

Little background first, I sold my ATIV S and also got a Huawei Y300 for free. Pretty good deal, given that the ATIV S can be found new for less than what I sold it. After 3 years using WP I was a little bit tired, and I like to know how the competition is doing.

Also, please bear in mind that I'm not comparing an high-end phone with a low-end phone. I'm comparing the user experience and its performance, which I remind you, is the same on a high-end or low-end Windows Phone like the Lumia 520.

Let's get started then. Just remember that this is my experience and my opinion. Don't forget that before you light the torch.

The Huawei Ascend Y300 was launched in March 2013, it's one of those low-cost Android competing with phones like the Lumia 520. It's already abandoned by Huawei. No official upgrade path, just firmware fixes to stuff that should work out of the box anyway.

So I ended up wasting a week upgrading it to CyanogenMod 11. I tried a ton of roms, but the performance was abismal, so I settled with the "official" port of CM11 for the Y300 + a modified kernel.

...Yep, I'm definitely using Android now.

Performance is abysmal. Sure, you can say that it's a low cost phone with only 512MB RAM, but so is the L520, so shut up. And I'm using a custom ROM, performance should be even better. But RAM usage is too high and apps take ridiculous amounts of it. I only have ~130MB free (which is pretty good on the Y300!), and Facebook + Messenger running on background take 60MB. WTF, I thought Android didn't need task killers by now. That is such a lie, RAM management in Android is still terrible, I get kernel panics if I leave too much stuff running on the background. I had to do a lot of tweaks...

In Windows Phone, you don't need to care about these performance issues. Other than the 1GB apps, the performance of WP in a low cost Lumia 520 is pretty much the same I had with the ATIV S. Android on the other hand...

So I have to seriously limit functionality to have performance. There goes one of the things people praise Android so much for, have more funcionality than WP. Oh, the irony. Moving on, I managed to compromise and the phone is now fast. Not WP fast, and no apps running on the background, I had to lock the minimum CPU frequency to the possible max, so there goes the battery,but heh, it's usable now.

Which brings me to the homescreen. So, people like to customize their Android with a nice wallpaper, which is completely useless if you populate the screen with widgets and icons because you can't see it. Huh. You need to find transparent widgets, and icons are a no-no if you want to actually see the wallpaper. I had a proper laugh when I realised this.

Widgets are... decorative. They are useful, having a quick remote to XBMC on the homescreen is neat, but unless I have it on my first screen, or immediately to the left or right, I just open the app. And that's what ends up happening after a while, widgets offer limited info and funcionality, so you just end up opening the app anyway. And that's why Live Tiles are better, they give you info on the front and back, and you can quickly open the app.

So no, the Android homescreen is not better. It sure is more customizable, full of custom stuff you won't use most of the time.

(Oh, I'm using Nova Launcher BTW, it's faster than Google Now, which is pathetic by the way, offers nothing that a widget can't offer, just on a nicer screen and it's kinda creepy how it scans your usage patterns).

Which brings me to privacy and other stuff. Google services are constantly shoved down your throat, free games constantly ask for permission to Google Hangouts and contacts and whatever. That only happens in Windows Phone with Facebook. I have so many problems with this, that I won't even go on with the rant, just that Google seriously monitors your usage much more than Microsoft. (Well, that's how the make money).

Now onto the app launcher. Am I in 2005? It looks like I'm using an old Nokia phone with Symbian, but instead of using physical keys, I'm using my fingers. And at least in WP I can go to an app by pressing the alphabet letter. It's a crowded and confusing screen, I hate this, it definitely something that belongs in the past.

And finally, apps. What about the out of the box apps? They're not bad, they are just being replaced with bloated apps like Hangouts. And there's no design consistency! At least in Windows Phone everything is consistent, only the ported apps like Tapatalk break it. Apps made for Windows Phone feel like they are part of the OS. In Android, not even the contacts and SMS apps look alike, but it does seem to be improving with the Metro design in Android 5.0. Oh, I mean "Material" design, sorry.

I find that the latest version of the Windows Store better than Google Play. Easier to navigate, less crowded, more interactive. The Play store isn't bad, just not as good as I expected. Android has so many apps, so much better than WP right? Screw you, I'm still trying to find a decent reddit client. I'll trade 100,000 apps for an app like Readit on Windows Phone. I still haven't found a decent reddit app. I don't use 500 reddit clients, I use one. And I use Readit because it's the best reddit app, and it's on Windows Phone.

Look, I could go on, and on and on. People like this mess called Android, I don't. You might like it, I respect it, but to me it sucks. You can say I have a low-cost phone and that it's much better with other phones. To you, I throw every low cost Windows Phone ever to your face, even the L610!

What this taught me is that Windows Phone is no longer in development. It's a full OS, it just lacks "insert name" app, which very rarely happens to me now. Out of the box experience is fantastic, no ROM and RAM talk, great performance, you don't waste ridiculous amounts of time "customizing", which I'm starting to think it's a word people use in the "make it usable" kind of way.

So I'm a Windows Phone user, and for the long run. Can't wait to ditch the Y300, I just wished there was more choice in the market, there are few WP models at an high price, that's the real problem with the Windows Phone market right there.

And if anyone in Europe has a decent ~200€ Lumia they want to sell, send me a private message!

For god's sake, send me a message!

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
You sold a high end WP, bought a high lower end Android and lit up Android with your review. Once i looked up the Y300's specs, i would have taken you more seriously if you where going from say a 8S to the Y300, because the specs of both are closer.

I mean, some of your gripes has always been present about Android everywhere since. Plus Huawei's UI is well, a big weak. Truth be told, their high end Androids have excellent hardware, so the UI is a root and ROM change away from being very good.

Hope you find a Lumia soon. Stuff like this gives both Android and dual users (Android and WP) like me a bad rep. Not bashing your opinion, but if you're looking for credibility, your comparison doesn't help you get it.

Posted Approved by Nexus 5

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Measured Sarcasm, I like it. I use the ICON and have the Galaxy Note 8. I use the Note as an ebook reader and that's about all. When, and if, a smaller Surface comes to market, the Note is gone.

I say measured sarcasm because you really are comparing apples and oranges based on the two phones you use in your comparison. Truth be known, it wouldn't have been much different if you had used the Galaxy 5 or some other high end android phone. Just saying.

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
You sold a high end WP, bought a high lower end Android and lit up Android with your review. Once i looked up the Y300's specs, i would have taken you more seriously if you where going from say a 8S to the Y300, because the specs of both are closer.

I mean, some of your gripes has always been present about Android everywhere since. Plus Huawei's UI is well, a big weak. Truth be told, their high end Androids have excellent hardware, so the UI is a root and ROM change away from being very good.

Hope you find a Lumia soon. Stuff like this gives both Android and dual users (Android and WP) like me a bad rep. Not bashing your opinion, but if you're looking for credibility, your comparison doesn't help you get it.

Measured Sarcasm, I like it. I use the ICON and have the Galaxy Note 8. I use the Note as an ebook reader and that's about all. When, and if, a smaller Surface comes to market, the Note is gone.

I say measured sarcasm because you really are comparing apples and oranges based on the two phones you use in your comparison. Truth be known, it wouldn't have been much different if you had used the Galaxy 5 or some other high end android phone. Just saying.

(I'm adding this info to my original post)

Well, first off, I didn't buy the Y300. It was part of the deal, got it for "free".

Second, I didn't compare the camera, the display, battery life, etc, not even the time it takes to open an app. I mostly compared user experience, and regarding its performance, between a Lumia 520 and the ATIV S, it's pretty much the same. Between a Y300 and a Nexus 5 however, performance is a world of difference.

That's what people seem to forget and that's why Windows Phone is brilliant. You get the same user experience between a low-end and an high-end phone, what really is different is related to hardware, not the software, unlike what I experienced with Android.

Third, I'm not using some Huawei custom UI. It's Cyanogenmod 11, KitKat 4.4.4. So the experience I narrated, besides the performance, is exactly the same as any other high end Android phone.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
(I'm adding this info to my original post)

Well, first off, I didn't buy the Y300. It was part of the deal, got it for "free".

Second, I didn't compare the camera, the display, battery life, etc, not even the time it takes to open an app. I mostly compared user experience, and regarding its performance, between a Lumia 520 and the ATIV S, it's pretty much the same. Between a Y300 and a Nexus 5 however, performance is a world of difference.

That's what people seem to forget and that's why Windows Phone is brilliant. You get the same user experience between a low-end and an high-end phone, what really is different is related to hardware, not the software, unlike what I experienced with Android.

Third, I'm not using some Huawei custom UI. It's Cyanogenmod 11, KitKat 4.4.4. So the experience I narrated, besides the performance, is exactly the same as any other high end Android phone.

Well, you made me point for me. Everyone knows that specs wise, you compared a low-end Android to what in Android land is still mid-range. Dual core + 512mb Ram + 4gb internal storage will never run Android, even rooted, as smoothly as WP - even on a dual core set up. Google always knew this, which is why they moved over to ART in order to forget the cheap OEMs to bump the specs up to quad core + 512mb RAM.

It doesn't matter how you got the Y300, and whether you compared the camera and other features or not - because everything still runs through the chipset as the foundation.

Again, i'm not knocking you. You validated that Android has a long ways to go to steps up its UI experience on the cheap hardware level. Yes, out of the box, WP beats Android. In that bracket in most areas. Here is the thing though - the app gap shows up most between Android and WP on the cheap hardware level because those handsets can still run some of the missing apps that people moan about.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Well, you made me point for me. Everyone knows that specs wise, you compared a low-end Android to what in Android land is still mid-range. Dual core + 512mb Ram + 4gb internal storage will never run Android, even rooted, as smoothly as WP - even on a dual core set up. Google always knew this, which is why they moved over to ART in order to forget the cheap OEMs to bump the specs up to quad core + 512mb RAM.

It doesn't matter how you got the Y300, and whether you compared the camera and other features or not - because everything still runs through the chipset as the foundation.

Again, i'm not knocking you. You validated that Android has a long ways to go to steps up its UI experience on the cheap hardware level. Yes, out of the box, WP beats Android. In that bracket in most areas. Here is the thing though - the app gap shows up most between Android and WP on the cheap hardware level because those handsets can still run some of the missing apps that people moan about.

Moan and groan about:)
I agree with you though, phone is WP and tablet is Nexus for me. That works just fine. iOS is tired and boring and static and of course the walled garden that Apple has built has a very high fee to get in, something I refuse to cave into (not that I cannot afford it)....

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

But that's what really makes me mad. I know that the millions of Android handsets Google and the press so much like to bloat about are just like mine.

Lots of people, like me, get a terrible experience out of Android and then they read on the press a review stating that WP still has to catch up with Android.

C'mon, 17.9% is the number of Android phones running 4.4. I'm tired of all the WP negativity and bad press with these numbers as a fact.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
But that's what really makes me mad. I know that the millions of Android handsets Google and the press so much like to bloat about are just like mine.

Lots of people, like me, get a terrible experience out of Android and then they read on the press a review stating that WP still has to catch up with Android.

C'mon, 17.9% is the number of Android phones running 4.4. I'm tired of all the WP negativity and bad press with these numbers as a fact.

You've got to remember who is the buying public in these markets and why MSFT is going after them. Not to be stereotypical, when you're balling in the 'hood on a low budget, you need a cheap phone that has the common apps and can make calls. It doesn't matter what version of Android it runs on, because all the apps are compatible from ICS onwards...some as far as Gingerbread too. Remember what the best selling WP8 of all time so far is? The 520. What MSFT is trying to do is offer quality on the cheap. But at the end of the day of the apps aren't there, some people will pick the shoddy build quality because Android gives them access to the apps they want a bit more than WP.

Remember it is on the OEM to update their products...let's be honest, Samsung as the flag bearer of Android doesn't update their cheap products as much as the high end ones because it is cheaper to sell the upgraded cheap stuff with the newer software than use their economies of scale to constantly update the way older low end models.

Arka1412

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I have used both android and WP..I seriously had a terrible experience with android but that was long back when it was running froyo...Things have changed totally..My brother has bought Moto G..It works like a charm..On Android u can get the real experience of Multi tasking( which is Terrible on WP, even in high end phones resuming is there)..U said about the apps taking huge space on android, I will say just the opposite. I have compared and found out Apps and games take too much space on my Lumia than on Moto g..There are still option available for clearing the data and cache for each app on android which is not present on WP..Coming to the apps, all the top and necessary apps are there( as usual) but with high quality( I am really jealous looking at the Facebook, Instagram, skype etc app on android)..Finally i will say irrespective of all these I still love my Lumia.I hope all the flaws which is there right now should be gone with time..

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I have to use a Samsung Galaxy thingy as my work phone, I would have to say my old HTC HD2 using Windows 6.5 was a better day to day experience by miles than using Android.

Bob

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077