Sold my Lumia 930 and bought a Nexus 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
If I was to choose an os for customization and power it would be Symbian as it is way more customizable and able to do thing no other os can to this day. Android defitly has its perks they all do, it depends what the user wants and prefer. I like the simplicity and smoothness of WP. I hate widgets and android is too fragmented for me, can't stand apple, but I can understand why people use each one. There is no best os it just depends on peoples preferences.

satycool

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Ok I've used a SG1 and SG3, bought Nexus 5 from Google, upgraded from SG3 contract to a now Xperia Z2. But before that upgrade got myself a used Lumia 920 out of curiosity, sold that recently and bought a 930 and a 1520 (why have a tablet when you can have both!) Have also used iPhone as my partner has a 4 and 5c. With my experience it was Windows phone that gave me the best experience and fun with reliability of all phones used - a personal choice! I still use my Z2, but still
not as smooth or elegant or crash/glitch free compared to both iOS and W8.1. I still stick with my points against Nexus 5 viewing angle losses colour and fades when not looking directly at it, and under sunlight it suffers. Battery was weak on Nexus. It still had glitches - I found sometimes you zoom in the screen gets stuck, apps did freeze at times, and the usual android problems did still occur, as they still do on XZ2. My buddy and cousin who both have the red Nexus 5, always come to me with annoyance of android OS and getting the PC to recognise this or that on the phone as I'm quiet aware of them having been with Android since the original SG1 release and still am with my XZ2, even though I use and trust my Lumia 930 more. You can also see my reviews of XPZ2, Nexus, and Lumia phones putting out the reality of the phones on Amazon UK. So I'm not a fan boy, I just use the best phone for results, ease, functionality for real life - which I find iPhone(don't use it myself) and W8P do a better and a much more hassle care free reliable job of.

Last edited:

Deomin

May 30, 2014
Visit site
There is internet sharing in WP8, but it very cunningly hidden: Go into Settings and it is in Internet Sharing, between email+accounts and lock screen.

I can see how you missed it, though. ;-P

I haven't missed Internet sharing settings, it was not working "internet sharing isn't available at the moment" problem, until I installed wp 8.1 developer, so my warranty was not valid anymore.

We (at work) use google calendar, so no, it is limited to only 3 months ahead and nothing in the past. There is no option in the settings to sync all events (like ios). To sync Google notes is not possible (like ios or android) I'm talking about native WP apps here. Cal and other 3rd part apps are working better.

If the name of the app or the song in the xbox music is too long, it is not visible, you cant read the whole name. Ease of Access is only for text msg, mail and similar, not for menu and app list. At least it was not possible to change that on my lumia 925.

This is not about android or apple fanboyism, this is about basic functionality of the smartphone.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Apparently you haven't read any of the numerous articles on Google's play store about it being plagued with apps having malware. Yes it is a problem, yes being popular will draw more malware writers, and yes it is targeted as well because they are lax in security and more open as an os for malware issues.

I obviously have, apps with malware have also appeared on iOS. You don't understand do you? If you stick to using mainstream apps developed by reputable developers you won't find malware.

It's common sense really. Windows has a lot of viruses, I've been using mine since last year and thank God it's been fine.

The best anti-virus is common sense, and it's free.

If I was to choose an os for customization and power it would be Symbian as it is way more customizable and able to do thing no other os can to this day. Android defitly has its perks they all do, it depends what the user wants and prefer. I like the simplicity and smoothness of WP. I hate widgets and android is too fragmented for me, can't stand apple, but I can understand why people use each one. There is no best os it just depends on peoples preferences.

Your last point is wrong. Measuring the advantages and disadvantages of an operating system you can decide which operating system is best.

Most reviewers can't decide between whether iOS or Android is best and that is where preferences play a role.
Windows Phone still lacks so much functionality that no one in their right mind would say that it is the best OS, no matter what your preferences.

Ok I've used a SG1 and SG3, bought Nexus 5 from Google, upgraded from SG3 contract to a now Xperia Z2. But before that upgrade got myself a used Lumia 920 out of curiosity, sold that recently and bought a 930 and a 1520 (why have a tablet when you can have both!) Have also used iPhone as my partner has a 4 and 5c. With my experience it was Windows phone that gave me the best experience and fun with reliability of all phones used - a personal choice! I still use my Z2, but still
not as smooth or elegant or crash/glitch free compared to both iOS and W8.1. I still stick with my points against Nexus 5 viewing angle losses colour and fades when not looking directly at it, and under sunlight it suffers. Battery was weak on Nexus. It still had glitches - I found sometimes you zoom in the screen gets stuck, apps did freeze at times, and the usual android problems as still occur on XZ2. For evidence my buddy who has a red Nexus 5 comes to me with annoyance of android as I'm quiet aware of them having been with Android since the original SG1 release and still am, though I use and trust my Lumia 930 more. You can also see my reviews of XPZ2, Nexus, and Lumia phones putting out the reality of the phones on Amazon UK. So I'm not a fan boy, I just use the best phone for results, ease, functionality for real life - which I find iPhone(don't use it myself) and W8P do a better and reliable job of.

No operating system is perfect and I've seen apps crash on iOS, Windows Phone and Android.

I've owned a Nexus 5 since the past month and yes I have seen one app in particular that crashed a few times, it's called Amateur Surgeon 3. Considering that the app isn't even on the Windows Phone Store so it doesn't matter. Plus the app hasn't crashed after having downloading the data.

Android has matured into a very stable and beautiful operating system and I would like you to point out what apps are crashing on your device?

Plus I find scrolling and multitasking a lot better on Android, I can scroll much faster depending on how I press the screen and multitasking is instant, no more waiting for the "resuming" screen.

In the end you go onto mension that you like functionality and ease of use, ease of use is debatable but Android hands down has more functionality in most, if not all apps.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Well I guess I'm not in my right mind then because its the best OS for me. Functionality is a state of mind as its definition and realm shift from one person to the next. You seem fine with speaking for others. I was simply giving my opinion as it pertained to my preference. The implications behind wishing for Data Sense and Storage Sense,wasn't to suggest Android didn't have those functions, I just prefer how they're represented on WP. You forget most WP users started as Android or iPhone users so we're probably more familiar with how Android works then you are with WP. I could be wrong. Most iPhone users are Android users haven't ventured to try WP. They're not pushed in stores like the others so the general knowledge of how good the OS is,really is minimal. I would argue Cortana is better that Google Now and Siri, although its a neophyte. Where can you view all your social networks together in one place on Android or iPhone? I could go one and on but its just my preference. Nothing more. You stick with Android, no harm done, I'll stick with WP.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
There are valid points about android here in terms of advantages, that is a given as android has had countless updates compared to that of WP8 (WP7x doesn't count given they completely rebooted the core - Windows CE to Windows NT).

The main reason WP8 is a jarring mess in some aspect it is because they did a U-turn mid cycle (decoupling of hubs, to go down the app centric route) along with the fact they keep making silly decisions based on telemetry data (reducing bing vision into a QR scanner, stripping out the beauty of the photo hub). Now that they have steadied themselves, it will only get better:

1) Just look at their implementation of folders.. which is extremely elegant.
2) The advent of file managers (when 18 months ago we didn't even that functionality)
3) Action Centre (I admit it has teething problems)
4) Quick Toggles
5) Cortana is extremely powerful despite still being in beta form and was previously confined to the US.
6) Sense apps (They still do need some work to be on the same level as on Android - to appeal to powerusers)
7) Live lock screens which makes the lock screen even better even though WP had the ability to chose what notifications we had, have an app take over (i.e facebook), have static images or have it display the daily bing images since 8.0 (what is annoying that people think they can only have pictures on there and mislead others.

The biggest plus of all is that even the low end devices get O/S updates unlike Android.

The posts about the iphones have better battery life?
That had me in stitches, almost every iphone had poor battery life as iphones were primarily designed with form over function in mind (hence why you haven't seen large screen Iphones to date, they have a a certain weight etc).

Even the latest 5s has a Li-Po 1560 mAh battery, which is tiny and to put that into prospective it is somewhat higher than the battery in the lumia 620. Every Iphone user I know either carries an extended battery pack, integrated battery in a case or has their Iphone stuck on the charger almost 24/7 primarily because the battery life is extremely poor.

To get that battery to last a day, you must be an incredibly basic user and rarely use your phone :grin:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Android sucks! Sorry... Even 35 euro toytablets in kids shop have Android on it.

There are levels of Android haters:

Those who logically criticize the operating system.

Then comes the people who somewhat logically point out flaws with Android but have some bias.

Then come the iOS or Windows Phone fanboys which sometimes raise some intelligent objections with Android.

Then come people who know nothing and believe in all the rumours out there about Android.

Then come the incompetent tryhards who have pretty much no knowledge.

Then under two or three more layers of BS, people like you appear.

��

Last edited by a moderator:

Liviu Avram

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Either Symbian either Windows/iOS. Never Android. Why? Because they might be great and smooth now, but in 3 months, they'll be horrible. Slow, laggy, shutting down for no reason, fragmented with poor resource management, insecure, easy to jail break and full of malware apps.. And Google which is also a malware company. That's one terrible decision you've made. Nexus 5 is worse than a Lumia 630. I made a head to head challenge for the areas you've complained about and the Lumia destroyed the Nexus in matters of fluidity under stressful conditions, stability, battery life, GPS and durability. I can't say anything about the camera or other stuff like that because Lumia 630 is a lower end device, but my point is, instead of wasting money on a high end phone that will get worse and worse in the next 3-6 months, you could just buy a low end Windows Phone that could get the job done. If the reasons you posted in the very first post are real, and that's why you've picked a nexus phone, you've made a terrible mistake. I hope you're happy with it. Ps. The guy that wanted a head to head challenge (nexus 5 vs Lumia 630) is now using a Lumia 630. Why? Nexus 5 is terrible for him and his usage. I hope you won't be on the same boat anytime soon.

Have a great day!

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Either Symbian either Windows/iOS. Never Android. Why? Because they might be great and smooth now, but in 3 months, they'll be horrible. Slow, laggy, shutting down for no reason, fragmented with poor resource management, insecure, easy to jail break and full of malware apps.. And Google which is also a malware company. That's one terrible decision you've made. Nexus 5 is worse than a Lumia 630. I made a head to head challenge for the areas you've complained about and the Lumia destroyed the Nexus in matters of fluidity under stressful conditions, stability, battery life, GPS and durability. I can't say anything about the camera or other stuff like that because Lumia 630 is a lower end device, but my point is, instead of wasting money on a high end phone that will get worse and worse in the next 3-6 months, you could just buy a low end Windows Phone that could get the job done. If the reasons you posted in the very first post are real, and that's why you've picked a nexus phone, you've made a terrible mistake. I hope you're happy with it. Ps. The guy that wanted a head to head challenge (nexus 5 vs Lumia 630) is now using a Lumia 630. Why? Nexus 5 is terrible for him and his usage. I hope you won't be on the same boat anytime soon.

Have a great day!

You see my above post about Android haters? Yeah that applies to you as well.

My Nexus 5 has been running smoothly since the past month, one of my cousins who used to be a huge iPhone fan switched to a Nexus 5 exactly three months ago.

He hasn't felt any lag.

Go away you troll. -.-

digitard

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Agreed.

I'm looking to give Windows Phone a shot, but not because I think any other OS is bad. I just think they all have something to offer, and the question becomes for YOU which one is the best offering.

In the past 10yrs I've owned Windows Mobile, Palm, RIM, iOS and Android devices. From my old school HTC 6800, Palm Treo (both Win Mobile and Palm OS versions), Blackberry's of various types, Android of various types, and iPhone 4, 4s and 5 phones... every one of them had somethign to offer me at the time. On my desk right now I have my unused LG G2 and my current phone (HTC One M8)

I love my HTC M8, but the more I look at Windows Phone 8.1 the more I want to give it a shot.

I think questioning what's right of you is good for every ecosystem. If people never needed change, the OS's would become even more stagnant. People wanting more, trying more, shifting between types... it's what drives these companies to improve, and increase.

What I've found over all these years is... your tastes always change. WP8 might be your need now, but you may get heavy into something that Android does better later, or iOS, or whatever... and then you'll change. Then something will change in your habits, and you'll find OS "X" is what you need now so you go to that OS.

No need to ****** it up. Everything has its place.

Thanks for lot of good info on where things are being sneaky.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I've said countless times that I like Windows Phone and Android and I help people make decisions based on preferences.

I don't over react when people make fun of Android, as long as it is logical.

Being on a forum you should realize that your opinion matters to people, someone reads your comment and he'll start spreading it around, giving Android a bad name. This is the same thing that happens to Windows Phone.

The ignorance of people and myths being spread out kills the popularity of operating systems with potential.

Let me repeat my question, what do you have against Android?

Last edited by a moderator:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Friendly reminder folks.........
[INFO]
P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

• Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
  • Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
  • Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.
  • Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.
[/INFO]

If this thread needs further moderation it will need to be closed.

Aniket Bhat

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
The sensible side of me says "Great. You should own a phone that fits your needs" while the fan boy side of me says "Enjoy your new phone, before Google sells your information. And happy lagging." But that's just the Nokia fan boy inside me. ?0?4

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
The sensible side of me says "Great. You should own a phone that fits your needs" while the fan boy side of me says "Enjoy your new phone, before Google sells your information. And happy lagging." But that's just the Nokia fan boy inside me. ?0?4

It's good that you keep that side of yours, concealed. :)

markdotinc

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
A lot of this thread has just been naming a bunch of features that phones have, but for me, that's just not it. I first jumped to WP because of Nokia and I loved the design of both the hardware and software. I appreciated that it was visually simple, limited the customization options, and offered a smooth experience I could jump into with no research or fiddling.

Yes, I purchased a product, but more than that, I'm buying into the vision that the creators crafted over years of work; an ecosystem that is elegant, seamless, and just works, because it has all the features and apps I need. That ecosystem also extends past my phone to my pc, and I look forward to how they plan to improve the integration between OS's in the future.

It might be a little bit less convenient to do some things than on an Android, but I can sacrifice that because I enjoy using it. Can't that just be the bottom line? Is it so inconceivable a casual user like me might still have fun using a phone even though I have to *god forbid* press a button to unlock it because it won't do so automatically when I take it out of my pocket?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
For the life of me I can't wrap my head around these Android vs. WP threads. The OP has clearly stated a legitimate case of why he felt compelled to switch. It should serve as a notice to all users that there are others who may have a different experience than you do. Instead of bashing him or deriding his decision, we should thank him for his insight and wish him well. There are some folks here who have more direct relationships with devs or even people in the Microsoft camp. Those people should report what they read since I doubt many MS staffers peruse our wonderful forum. Communities are supposed to help each other, not rag each other. Many here complain about iSheep but them people are a tight bunch. I'm certainly not advocating to be anything like them clowns but there is one indisputable truth: there is strength in unity.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
For the life of me I can't wrap my head around these Android vs. WP threads. The OP has clearly stated a legitimate case of why he felt compelled to switch. It should serve as a notice to all users that there are others who may have a different experience than you do. Instead of bashing him or deriding his decision, we should thank him for his insight and wish him well. There are some folks here who have more direct relationships with devs or even people in the Microsoft camp. Those people should report what they read since I doubt many MS staffers peruse our wonderful forum. Communities are supposed to help each other, not rag each other. Many here complain about iSheep but them people are a tight bunch. I'm certainly not advocating to be anything like them clowns but there is one indisputable truth: there is strength in unity.

I think the problem is that this is a Windows Phone enthusiast site, and no one is going to (nor should they) make their decisions about a phone OS based upon random personal preference posts that find WP unsuitable. A better tool is the "problem" threads that indicate there might be a systematic problem with a device or with WP overall. No disrespect, but people already understand that everyone has a different experience. We see it everyday in the threads here. "I'm leaving" posts just invite ****** arguments that we've read many times over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa