Google delivers Lollipop and Nexus?

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Google delivers Lollipop and Nexus

Something that really strikes me about today's Google announcement of Lollipop and new Nexus devices is the two week wait to pre-order and "early November" promised delivery.

MS's habit of announcing devices long before they will actually be delivered creates nothing but frustration.

Among the many things MS needs to get right is better coordination between its marketing and its production.

When WP10 is finally developed and officially released, MS needs to be sure it also has a slew of devices on hand also ready to be ordered and delivered that will make use of the new OS.

David_da_Silva

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: Google delivers Lollipop and Nexus

Is it just me or the new Android looks a lot like a mix of iOS and Windows 8.1 features (soon to be 10)???

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site

Is it just me or the new Android looks a lot like a mix of iOS and Windows 8.1 features (soon to be 10)???

No you're right the Android "Material" thing is extremely similar to the Windows Phone/ Windows 8 flat design. I love the reaction the Android fans give though: Oh wow what a nice new fresh design, I like it....

I'm more interested in the Nexus Player it's supposed to be a "console" but only offers 8 GB of memory (6 if you count Android) with no way to add more memory. How do you expect people to play games on it if they're limited to like 20 games tops? I know it's not a PlayStation, a Xbox or a Wii U but for crying out loud 8 GB is nothing these days.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Who did what first is a ****** argument and irrelevant, every single OS user can blame the other OS in some way. Its a mobile phone and there are only so many ways you can do the same thing so of course it will all converge. Fact is though Android has wayyyyy more features than WP, its starting to annoy me how basic WP actually looks compared to KitKat, let alone the revamped and souped up Lollipop. Come on MS - stop twiddling thimbs we only have so much patience and its wearing thin!

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site

Who did what first is a ****** argument and irrelevant, every single OS user can blame the other OS in some way. Its a mobile phone and there are only so many ways you can do the same thing so of course it will all converge. Fact is though Android has wayyyyy more features than WP, its starting to annoy me how basic WP actually looks compared to KitKat, let alone the revamped and souped up Lollipop. Come on MS - stop twiddling thimbs we only have so much patience and its wearing thin!

What does android do nowadays that wp 8.1 didn't get? Seems to me all three os have the same thing in different variants

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Moved to Android forum, since this topic is about an Android OS version and an Android device.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

What does android do nowadays that wp 8.1 didn't get? Seems to me all three os have the same thing in different variants

Deep power saving settings, much more flexibility than WP. True Multiple user logins, Widgets that show a LOT more info than the tiles and you can select type to display, these are 3 off the top of my head. Take an Android KitKat phone place it next to a WP and go through settings, Android has MUCH more options and flexibility, I suppose that's one of the attractions and geeks love it. Don't get me wrong I like WP, I used to Love it. I liked Android (I was on it for 2 years) and now detest everything Google, however im warming to Android and try out the new Lollipop when I get a chance. The ball is well and truly in microsofts side of the court, its up to them to show and deliver something competitive, innovative and compelling to keep me. I will stay MS however I don't really need to on the phone front.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

I often browse through Google+, there was a person who commented this to someone that said Android L resembled Windows Phone:

1413889256047.jpg

I'm not going to disclose the name, but I agree with him for the most part.

Material Design is different from Metro. Deal with it.

walterg1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site

I have a 2012 Nexus tablet. Its been cofirmed that it will get the Lollipop update.
Looking foward to see how good it is.
Next month im ordering a new Lumia 920.
I cant wait to compare the operating systems.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

There is a lot to like with lollipop, just as I am sure there will be a lot to like with Windows 10.

Folks who love Windows phone always seem to see the os being used in Android and the reality is that just about everything has been done before so it really doesn't matter.

Personally I dislike the new colors and the flat look a lot but I can change anything within it to suit my tastes.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Google delivers Lollipop and Nexus. So? The postal service just delivered my mail. My life hasn't changed one bit, should yours?

zalmah

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site

I often browse through Google+, there was a person who commented this to someone that said Android L resembled Windows Phone:

View attachment 85261

I'm not going to disclose the name, but I agree with him for the most part.

Material Design is different from Metro. Deal with it.

What exactly is Material Design (eg. VS flatter design)? Is it related to textures in the graphics / interface? Would like to know more about these design definitions.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

What exactly is Material Design (eg. VS flatter design)? Is it related to textures in the graphics / interface? Would like to know more about these design definitions.

An interface which resembles paper, where animations don't appear out of nowhere but have a purpose and it's much more colourful than before.

I can't fully explain it, but I would recommend using an Android 5.0 phone, and maybe try some of the Material Design optimised applications like the Play Newsstand.

vegardaleksander

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site

Got Lollipop running on both my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 (2013). So far I've seen quite the improvement in battery draining (especially idle mode). Material looks great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos