Nokia's new Android phone...

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I just saw this article on gsmarena.
Nokia C1 is the company's first post-Microsoft Android phone - GSMArena.com news

Now I know perfectly well that its gonna be a device manufactured by foxconn having the Nokia logo but that's also what worries me.
In countries like India Nokia is still huge and a lot of people are loyal to them and most will only care for the Nokia logo and not who manufactures it.
Judging by the N1 tablet pricing I am betting this phone will be priced very aggressively probably in $200 range which wld be really bad for the Lumias in the price range as a lot of the guys buys into WP in countries like India cos of Nokia.
What are ur thoughts guys?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
My thoughts are, good for them.

Nokia isn't making the phone but this at least keeps their name around in the public eye. Which is smart.

Until we know the real specs I won't comment but it appears that they're going after the market where they are strongest. Makes sense.

It looks a bit like the Z3 though people said it looks like an iPhone.

I wish them all the luck and if they bring out a high end phone in the future I will seriously consider it.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
So Microsoft steps it up. Not sure why there's so much fear about Nokia devices, they're just another competitor just like Samsung, apple, Sony and all the other android OEMs. No need for people to wet themselves anytime Nokia farts, if they were that good they wouldn't have been in the mess they got themselves into with Symbian to begin with.

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
My guess is, this thing is only a fan made render. And a ridiculous as well.

Nokia is allowed to enter the phone market on 01.01.2016. That's quiet some time away, now it's to early for a real leak.

That said, I have no doubt that Nokia will release a Nokia C/Z/X/S/E 1 as early as possible and yes, I see the danger that this will hurt Lumia sales. It's completely up to Microsoft to release a compelling software/hardware combination. If they can't even compete with a brand name, Windows phone has no chance at all.

I have a little conspiracy theory:
When Steven Elop left Nokia, the teams there sabotaged all Lumia flagship projects to make sure that the next Lumia flagship could not be delivered before old Nokia would be able to announce their upcoming Android flagship.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a little conspiracy theory:
When Steven Elop left Nokia, the teams there sabotaged all Lumia flagship projects to make sure that the next Lumia flagship could not be delivered before old Nokia would be able to announce their upcoming Android flagship.

Your conspiracy has many levels of fallacy to them. From a legal standpoint if that did happen then Nokia would get sued and MS would have crushed them. So your conspiracy is somewhat of a tit-for-tat thing which from a business perspective a bit childish.

I think MS saw that the market was in a different place and realised it had to regroup and rethink what it needed as a flagship device. All these low and mid range devices are probably the leftovers from Nokia.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
So Microsoft steps it up. Not sure why there's so much fear about Nokia devices, they're just another competitor just like Samsung, apple, Sony and all the other android OEMs. No need for people to wet themselves anytime Nokia farts, if they were that good they wouldn't have been in the mess they got themselves into with Symbian to begin with.

Glad to see someone here with some rationality. :)

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site

While I do agree u do realize that wp wldnt even exist now if it wasn't for Nokia. And the fact that Nokia held over 90% of wp market is testimony to the fact that a lot of guys cared for Nokia and not WP.

In India this is still true as a lot of guys still use the basic Nokia's or ashas and are due for upgrade in the coming year and they wld be really tempted if a Nokia branded android is in the sub $200 market.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
While I do agree u do realize that wp wldnt even exist now if it wasn't for Nokia. And the fact that Nokia held over 90% of wp market is testimony to the fact that a lot of guys cared for Nokia and not WP.

In India this is still true as a lot of guys still use the basic Nokia's or ashas and are due for upgrade in the coming year and they wld be really tempted if a Nokia branded android is in the sub $200 market.

Good for Nokia. :) They did their marketing well then. Maybe MS should take note. :p

Sonu K

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I just saw this article on gsmarena.
Nokia C1 is the company's first post-Microsoft Android phone - GSMArena.com news

Now I know perfectly well that its gonna be a device manufactured by foxconn having the Nokia logo but that's also what worries me.
In countries like India Nokia is still huge and a lot of people are loyal to them and most will only care for the Nokia logo and not who manufactures it.
Judging by the N1 tablet pricing I am betting this phone will be priced very aggressively probably in $200 range which wld be really bad for the Lumias in the price range as a lot of the guys buys into WP in countries like India cos of Nokia.
What are ur thoughts guys?

First, it is already proven that it is a fan render and not real.
Second, N1 is not just any device with a Nokia logo. Nokia designed the software and hardware. Foxconn just manufactures it just like how they do iPhones, iPads and many other popular electronic devices. So if Nokia ever decides to come up with a smartphone before 01.01.2016 it will be 'manufactured' by foxconn and designed by Nokia.
Update: Also found out many of our Nokia Phones(dumb and smart) contains parts manufactured by foxconn. So if you have a Nokia Lumia or Asha in your hand there is more likely a chance that some of its hardware parts are manufactured by foxconn.

Is it a threat to WP?
It depends highly on the specs and pricing. And it also depends on Microsoft's stance on WP while Nokia launches that phone. Many of us knows MS keeping better cameras as a premium thing and not launching it on mid-level devices while many Android based OEMs are providing good quality camera phones in mid range at an affordable price. If MS is able to come up with something like Moto G(especially on camera and pricing) they have a chance. Or else WP will be always the 'burning ship' with a bunch of loyal users like us.

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

No one disputes Nokia's influence on WP and there will be some who will blindly follow the brand no matter what they produce, even if its complete crap however Nokia also succeeded with WP due to the their hardware expertise (now owned by Microsoft) and value they brought to low cost devices which was enabled by the efficiency of WP at the low end. I'm sure the OS itself played a part too. Point is, just because Nokia enters the market doesn't spell the end of WP as is now the well repeated claim whenever anything Nokia related is even rumored. I don't see it happening.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Precisely, this is the only reason that WP has any relevancy at all in today's market. The name "Nokia" sold a lot of Windows Phones.

And on another note, why do we get so uptight when another rumor like this shows up? Even if it does turn out to be true, can't WP stand on its own merits?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
No one disputes Nokia's influence on WP and there will be some who will blindly follow the brand no matter what they produce, even if its complete crap however Nokia also succeeded with WP due to the value they brought to low cost devices which was enabled by the efficiency of WP at the low end. I'm sure the OS itself played a part too. Point is, just because Nokia enters the market doesn't spell the end of WP as is now the well repeated claim whenever anything Nokia related is even rumored. I don't see it happening.

Well said. :)

It was due to Nokia that WP entered the low end of the spectrum and it took their push to get WP to change it's ways so that low end would benefit. MS will of course use this to their advantage.

As for what Nokia will do with Android or whatever phone they may bring out, whether it's this or something else will depend a lot on what specs it has and price. Nokia for the most part is a still an unknown OEM in North America but continues to have a good following in EU, Australia and developing countries. If they make a good enough product people will buy it. Whether it's WP or not. If their HERE Maps is anything to go by a Nokia Android phone could be a thing of beauty.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Precisely, this is the only reason that WP has any relevancy at all in today's market. The name "Nokia" sold a lot of Windows Phones.

And on another note, why do we get so uptight when another rumor like this shows up? Even if it does turn out to be true, can't WP stand on its own merits?

The uprightness I think is due to people wanting a Nokia device still and know that Nokia is still popular in many countries. As for WP standing on it's own, it should. Hopefully it does.

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Your conspiracy has many levels of fallacy to them. From a legal standpoint if that did happen then Nokia would get sued and MS would have crushed them. So your conspiracy is somewhat of a tit-for-tat thing which from a business perspective a bit childish.

No. As an independent company they had every right to not have any plans for a flagship. Maybe McLaren could have been saved if they had invested heavily in it early 2014, but that is hard to prove (and again: Independent company).

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
No. As an independent company they had every right to not have any plans for a flagship. Maybe McLaren could have been saved if they had invested heavily in it early 2014, but that is hard to prove (and again: Independent company).

MS cancelled the McLaren. It was also MS 3D technology, not Nokia. So not sure what you're reading.

Since I don't have the legal documents in front of me (probably wouldn't be able to understand them) I can't tell you what was fully involved with everything. I can tell you from a person who has been working in corporations their whole like and in a company that got bought out that I'm sure the legal side is air tight and any issues within it MS would have brought Nokia to it's knees. To think otherwise is to be foolish.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
The uprightness I think is due to people wanting a Nokia device still and know that Nokia is still popular in many countries. As for WP standing on it's own, it should. Hopefully it does.

Its falling apart a bit in India at the moment due to lack of solid entry level phones. 535 while a good phone in many ways simply can't match upto the likes of Zenfones and Redmis besides the touch issues that plague the device at the moment will create a lot of unhappy buyers who will advice others against buying it.
When the 620 and 520 where launched they were the best performing and best featured phones in the price range and that's what made them so popular but now there's androids in the same range that offer adequate perfomence and features(especially a lot of good cameras) which has really made it tough to sell the Lumias especially now with "Nokia" logo gone.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Its falling apart a bit in India at the moment due to lack of solid entry level phones. 535 while a good phone in many ways simply can't match upto the likes of Zenfones and Redmis besides the touch issues that plague the device at the moment will create a lot of unhappy buyers who will advice others against buying it.
When the 620 and 520 where launched they were the best performing and best featured phones in the price range and that's what made them so popular but now there's androids in the same range that offer adequate perfomence and features(especially a lot of good cameras) which has really made it tough to sell the Lumias especially now with "Nokia" logo gone.

You make good points. I guess we have to wait and see if there really is a phone. I thought there was recently a statement by Nokia that they wouldn't re-enter the phone market.

Anything is possible though.

Sonu K

May 29, 2014
Visit site

You make good points. I guess we have to wait and see if there really is a phone. I thought there was recently a statement by Nokia that they wouldn't re-enter the phone market.

Anything is possible though.

Nokia said they will not have any 'direct connections' with the smart phone market. They can easily come out with something like N1 with only designing the device.
And when it comes to lower end lumias, its sad that there are so many low end android devices now with better cameras. First or second gen Nokia Lumias were known for their camera quality at a time. And now it is limited to only high end pureview devices.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3