How to Migrate to Android?

Jonny702

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Hey folks,

I just got my brand new OnePlus One and I'm a total android N00b. I've never been a fan of Google so I try to minimize the ammount of their services I use. With that said I'm trying to figure out a few things.

1. How can I migrate all my contacts, SMS messages etc to my new phone?
2. Is there a good Mail app other than the stock one (running CyanogenMod if that matters) and the new Outlook app for Android (This stores your credentials on their server which is not secure enough for corporate stuff)?
3. I don't suppose there's anyway to choose to use different services for everything is there? Phone backup, search, etc. I would prefer to use MS services whereever possible

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey folks,

I just got my brand new OnePlus One and I'm a total android N00b. I've never been a fan of Google so I try to minimize the ammount of their services I use. With that said I'm trying to figure out a few things.

1. How can I migrate all my contacts, SMS messages etc to my new phone?
2. Is there a good Mail app other than the stock one (running CyanogenMod if that matters) and the new Outlook app for Android (This stores your credentials on their server which is not secure enough for corporate stuff)?
3. I don't suppose there's anyway to choose to use different services for everything is there? Phone backup, search, etc. I would prefer to use MS services whereever possible

1. You should be able to just log into your Microsoft account (probably through Exchange) and get your stuff synced up.
As for your SMS, I don't know. But syncing your MS account will handle Contacts, Calendar appointments, email, and maybe tasks.

2. Gmail might be OK depending, since it can handle multiple accounts I think.
It might be worth trying the old Outlook.com app, but its kinda mediocre.
I'd go ask around on Android Central, there's more knowledgeable people there.

3. You can install the Bing app and use that (its pretty good actually)
You can install the MSN suite. (MSN Money, Weather, News...)
You can install Office, OneDrive (with auto-photo upload), OneNote, and there is even an Office Lens preview that's worth trying.

As for phone backup itself, you can probably make a bit-by-bit 100% backup using your recovery (typically TWRP or ClockworkMod) if you're rooted.
I've heard good things about Titanium Backup too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers