Android and Outlook contacts?

Pinecone1532

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Has anybody else moved over to Android but tried to avoid google services/kept using existing MS services? I'm kind of having a problem, because literally all of my phone contacts are saved to my Outlook account because that's just how WP8 did it. Even though Android is apparently set up to sync those contacts though, it seems like it doesn't want to know and they aren't there in the contacts app. I cant figure out how to get them to show up there. I know they are there in the Outlook app itself, but I'd rather have them available via the dialler directly if possible.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
It's possible, all contacts were there when I tried android. I think you should connect google and outlook accounts, can't remmember how exactly it is done,try googling.

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Has anybody else moved over to Android but tried to avoid google services/kept using existing MS services? I'm kind of having a problem, because literally all of my phone contacts are saved to my Outlook account because that's just how WP8 did it. Even though Android is apparently set up to sync those contacts though, it seems like it doesn't want to know and they aren't there in the contacts app. I cant figure out how to get them to show up there. I know they are there in the Outlook app itself, but I'd rather have them available via the dialler directly if possible.
In settings - > accounts, you need to add an Exchange account.

The details could vary by device/skin and/or outlook/Hotmail/Windows Live account, but it's possible. I've synced my MS acct contacts w/several Android devices.

First place to go would be in your Outlook account, look for links pointing to IMAP settings or Exchange server address. Another thing I've done - on your phone, login to an Outlook client from the Google Store. Then go to settings in that app and get the email/exchange settings that were populated. Then use those to set up the Exchange acct on your Android device.

Google for steps specific to your phone or OS, skin (TouchWiz, Sense etc), whatever. Once set up, you can choose which service to sync - email, calendar, contacts. I only use contacts for my MS acct.

Pinecone1532

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, setting it as an exchange account (or a "corporate" account as Android calls it) worked, so they're all there now. It hasn't been as difficult as I'd expected to set everything up, and apart from the google calendar app I've managed to avoid using any google services for the most part.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, setting it as an exchange account (or a "corporate" account as Android calls it) worked, so they're all there now. It hasn't been as difficult as I'd expected to set everything up, and apart from the google calendar app I've managed to avoid using any google services for the most part.

Hey Pinecone & PseudoWare,

Thanks for all the helpful info on this. I'm dabbling back into Android to see if I can do everything I need in Android without using Google services as well and this really helped.

However, my #1 stumbling block still is Cortana and the way she is integrated into the Windows OS. The Hands Free Bluetooth functionality over text in the car is awesome, and I cant see myself giving that up anytime soon. Being able to have COrtanan intterupt music and let me know about texts and then let me reply to them hands-free is something Ive grown accustom to having. Is there any Android APP at all that even comes close to that on Android? I've been trying to do research and came up with ReadItToMe and Car DashDroid, but still having problems finding equal functionality. Any and all info is truly appreciated!

Thank you!

Last edited:

Pinecone1532

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
I know of Ultimate Car Dock which allows hands free response to texts but idk if its the same in functionality terms, or if Google Now can do the same thing. I don't even really know what Cortana can and cannot do (I turned Cortana off as soon as my phone got 8.1 on it and have never used it) so I don't know how the android alternatives really compare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro