Switched to Android comment here about your experiences.

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I am mostly switching to honor 7 or moto x play from Lumia 920. Reasons are app quality and app gaps. Request people who already switched platforms to comment on their new experiences.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've moved your thread to the Android forum, since both of those are Android devices.

I'm not familiar with either of those and haven't seen either in the US. However, I'm using a Moto X Pure Edition, which I think is great. You may find my review here at AndroidCentral.

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Laura. The moto x style is available in india however i couldn't find the moto x pure online. Anywhich way its another 150 $ extra.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Laura. The moto x style is available in india however i couldn't find the moto x pure online. Anywhich way its another 150 $ extra.

Hi njnbat,

The Moto X Pure Edition is called the Moto X Style outside the US. I got the 64GB model for $499 USD.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
By far the biggest problem I have is visibility of what is important. Android lacks the badge notifications the other operating systems have while also being cluttered with too much info presented in inconsistent ways.

I've gone though and organized things a bit but I still find it harder to detect if I've gotten a text or skype from an important contact. It just takes a couple more clicks (which is really a big thing). The Microsoft Arrow launcher helps considerably and I would like to see some more effort in it. It has so much more potential than TouchWiz does.

Otherwise, I love the apps and flexibility. WP8.1 was perhaps the best phone OS of all but it suffered from a bad ecosystem. WP10 destroyed what was good while still leaving us with a bad ecosystem.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I am using android for another week or so until my new LCD gets here....after that, I am using my 1020 to take photos of me destroying my android phones in amusing ways. NEVER using them again! horrible experience plagued by lag, freezing, Random restarts, etc. The ONLY thing android has going for it is apps, and there are no apps I need that are not on Windows.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I've had an LG G4 since the summer - I think that's long enough to compare. I also run with my 1020 (win 10). Hardware:
- not even close. The G4 is just....beautiful - even now. I loved my Lumia 800 when I got it, but my G4 is elegant. The 1020 is tough and practical, aesthetically forgettable. MSFT hasn't put out a pretty handset ever I don't think.

O/S:
Simply put, if not for the app gap WP would eat everyone else's lunch. Android and iOS both. Every Android should have a proviso that says "Some assembly required". Having said that I'm running with Android 5.1 and it's as fast and smooth as the day I unboxed the phone. No lag for this kid.

Here's my very honest and very weird opinion. The Windows Phone operating system peaked with 7.5 Tango.
Yes, I'm serious.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't feel like I can say that I switched all the way, but I'm almost there (maybe 70%). I didn't expect for me to like it as much as I have. I'm using a Nexus 5x in 16gb. I thought that I would be annoyed, and possibly dealing with lag, nope. Everything seems to work as it is meant to. The Do Not Disturb workaround to have alarms still work but not get any notification noises or phone calls while sleeping was a little annoying, along with getting gmail and outlook notifications together even though my email addresses are hosted by outlook. However, that's been my only annoyance. I would also like to know if there's a way I can slow down how often apps are searching for updates in the play store, like I could on WP.

It's great that I can still use MixRadio, Bing, and Cortana (which I do use). I don't know if there's a way to have background music playback on youtube without having the screen on or at least to have it continue playing regardless of if the screen is on or not. If there is, that's golden. If not, I'll have to decide if it's something that I can consider living with.

The fact that there are SO many apps, has me deciding for the first time what I should install. To suddenly have apps for everything pretty much is shocking, and I understand what people mean by that now. I don't want to install everything just because I can, and figuring out what I want to install and do use over what I never use, is a novel decision to make. Book apps I use regularly have actually been updated. Whoa.

Edit: I forgot to add things that I miss about Windows Phone/Mobile. I am a person who likes to have the screen off while listening to music from YouTube. This is something that I do often, especially with YouTube apps. Because Google owns YouTube, I would have to subscribe to YouTube Red to make that happen. Lol what? Spotify on mobile sucks unless you're subscribed to Premium. In the future, I could be but right now, yeah no. Luckily, MixRadio allows me to play music with the screen off but This is the biggest thing right now for me, aside from the quiet hours workaround.

Outlook having an option for an email address to sync daily is nice. I kind of hate having my social email, which doesn't get that much mail to be in my notifications for things like sites that I am signed up to. Someone might say, why don't I just remove it or have it sync manually? The answer to that is that I don't want to remove it, since I do get emails that I am waiting on, just not everyday. I might consider the sync manually thing though, not sure.

I thought that I would miss Glance Screen, but there's something similar to it on Android. I like that. I just wish that Doze didn't have to lay on something flat to go into effect. I miss that with Windows Phone, it can go into whatever mode, regardless of if it is in my pocket or not. I miss live tiles, to an extent but not as much as I thought I would.

Last edited:

mnsiw

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I've switched to Android (Marshmallow) few weeks back, still have Windows 10 Mobile on secondary phone, in terms of customization and flexibility there's absolutely no comparison between two platforms. I rooted my phone, tried 4-5 custom ROMs, now on CM13, quality of apps is also much better on Android.

lancepr

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I switched, no phones on Verizon. I can not add or edit contacts in my outlook.com address book, that is the biggest problem for me so far.
I really do no use many apps, but one drive still works great.
I got the Moto Z for the extra battery and to keep wireless charging.

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I switched, no phones on Verizon. I can not add or edit contacts in my outlook.com address book, that is the biggest problem for me so far.
I really do no use many apps, but one drive still works great.
I got the Moto Z for the extra battery and to keep wireless charging.

Good decision according to me. You are no more a part of the 1% users of windows phone users. I switched 8 months back and I m glad to be on Android.

Galway 77

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I thinking of going to really try Windows phone. Getting bored of Android, even though lately I've been using next lockscreen app and arrow launcher, both from Microsoft on my note 4, which is really good in my opinion...

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

djarchow

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I am thinking about moving to Android as well. I have a Lumia Icon on Verizon and would consider switching to ATT to stick with WP but coverage here in Iowa is poor unless you are in the larger towns. I was on Android before moving to WP and I really do prefer WP when it is working right. I am on the W10 developers preview and there are so many things that either just don't work or work poorly that I just want a phone that works. (I know lots of people have very few issues) If I thought Verizon might get a new phone sometime in the next six months I would consider sticking with my Icon till then.

If will really miss the Bluetooth integration with my car as far as handling texts, Cortana integration etc. From what I understand much of that is lacking in Android, though WP 10 Bluetooth in my car has worked poorly for months now even after multiple hard resets.

So I may pick up a Galaxy Note 7 in the next week or two. I hate to move off Windows Phone, but the lack of phones on Verizon and all of the bugs in W10 are just pushing me away, Who knows if the Surface phone shows up on Verizon in the spring I may be back in the WP camp.

lancepr

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I got the Droid Z, with the moto mods. Great phone, excel, one note, and office lense all work great. Outlook app is great as well

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
In one word Cumbersome.

Just because all the apps that I wanted are available and I had to download all and setup :) otherwise it was awesome experience with the switch. (So far... lol) Now I think like every second user I have to start asking when will I get the update ;) When in India :D
hardware cost me 130US and performs heaps better than the 1020 which cost me an arm and a leg... well half a leg.

first 1020 I had to return due to hardware issues and second one is still running, but apps started vanishing as there is no WM10 for "all devices" after all.
firs droid was returned due to faulty human not deciding to check the network bands that are available on the phone and its compatibility in the country of use but the subsequent one that came in fixed the problem and the back restore on it was pretty much seamless.

Few features from WM, I miss, but pretty much getting over it as we speak and I don't think I will go back to WM10 unless something major changes *cough* app gap *cough* and cost to buy outright phones like you have with android.

Looking forward to Nougat and its split screen options and improved usability with shortcuts and tweaks.

Cheers

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
In one word Cumbersome.

Just because all the apps that I wanted are available and I had to download all and setup :) otherwise it was awesome experience with the switch. (So far... lol) Now I think like every second user I have to start asking when will I get the update ;) When in India :D
hardware cost me 130US and performs heaps better than the 1020 which cost me an arm and a leg... well half a leg.

first 1020 I had to return due to hardware issues and second one is still running, but apps started vanishing as there is no WM10 for "all devices" after all.
firs droid was returned due to faulty human not deciding to check the network bands that are available on the phone and its compatibility in the country of use but the subsequent one that came in fixed the problem and the back restore on it was pretty much seamless.

Few features from WM, I miss, but pretty much getting over it as we speak and I don't think I will go back to WM10 unless something major changes *cough* app gap *cough* and cost to buy outright phones like you have with android.

Looking forward to Nougat and its split screen options and improved usability with shortcuts and tweaks.

Cheers
Which Android device did you get?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans