Who has switched to something Android and is enjoying it?

BevOh13

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
Been with WP since Lumia 800 was released. Then had a 1020 and currently a 950XL.

I love the WP UI and have dealt with the app gap. Being 25 people always are dumbfounded when they find out I don't have Snapchat but thats the least of my worries.

Spotify - Constantly buggy, refusing to load have to soft reset to fix. I find this happens with some other apps too.

ING Direct pulled support for their banking app. Bookmarking their mobile site works but isn't ideal.

Facebook and Messenger are still buggy and slow compared to iOS and Android. No real complaints about Instagram though.

Zonos works okay for my Sonos but still can be a little hit and miss.

Sometimes when the phone receives a notification it will freeze and get stuck vibrating and making a continuous buzzing from the stalled notification. Again soft reset.

Everything else is more or less fine, well what I can think of anyway. Besides, this is nothing compared to the other issues we have faced over the years but I'm just starting to get a little fed up as in the last month:

- Camera won't focus (pretty much unusable now). In and out of focus constantly, seems hardware related but I don't know.

- Maps navigation stopped working (No GPS Signal), Other nab apps still working.

- Cracked my screen today (first I've cracked since iPhone 3 :crying:)

Was going to wait to see if any kind of surface phone actually came to fruition but now I've just seen we could have a Nokia 8 coming that looks interesting and I'm pretty fed up at this point anyway. 6 years of bug squatting and juggling hot potatoes has taken a toll.

So my question is, what Android devices have people been happy with after switching from WP? Particularly from the 950XL.

Is there anything I might miss that I haven't thought about? Does Android allow you to integrate with OneDrive at all so I can avoid transferring everything? All my contacts are associated with gmail so that is fine.

Any word on when Nokia 8 will be announced? Haven't found a whole lot.

Sorry for the long post but looking forward to hearing people opinions.

Cheers
Bev

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
[Thread moved to the Android forum section]

Sorry to read you are having so much trouble with WM10.
You may want to ask over at Android Central also.
AC has quite a few WP/WM refugees who have swapped over.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
You WILL miss Windows phone. I jump ship constantly to iOS and Android but always return even if just for a while. One Drive integrates just fine on Android and so do the other Microsoft apps there. Cortana not so much. I'm getting a little frustrated with the apps just now and really starting to miss a few so might get the LG G6 as it's got double tap to wake, always on display and great cameras. Or like yourself I'm still keeping hold of my money to see what the Nokia 8 is gonna bring. I'll be keeping my 950xl as my second phone though as it's too good to retire and I want to keep a foot in the Windows door

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I would say that it strongly depends on what you want in a phone. On the affordable flagship side, there's the OnePlus 3T, which is very nice.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I would say that it strongly depends on what you want in a phone. On the affordable flagship side, there's the OnePlus 3T, which is very nice.
Agreed here. The positive with Android is you'll have the improved access and you can find hardware that's good at any price point. The downsize is that if your focused on software, you can handle that by either rooting the device or picking an OEM with software that you like.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I own a BlackBerry Android and am happy.

If you peek at my iOS and Android Adventures thread you'll see a lot more in-depth stuff but in a nutshell...

It is missing some of WP's stuff but then again MS handicapped or nerfed much of it anyway. It's a different UI but it's much more dependable and everything generally works well. Apps are in good shape, etc. Might take some time to customize to your liking, not unlike setting up your start screen on Windows. But I have DTTW and can not-use MS services if need be.

The chief downsides though are security patching which varies a lot from phone to phone, carrier to carrier.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I've used lots of Android devices over the years and have to say I've been quite happy with them. It's very customizable to get the look you're going for and the function you're going for.

They're different OS's so there's going to be differences but over a period of time you learn to make it worth just like you have with Windows.

They've all got their benefits and draw backs but I could see myself using any os and being happy with it.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
One thing about Android that's undeniable.
The hardware choices are galactic.

I still see new phones appearing for sale that I've never heard of.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
One thing about Android that's undeniable.
The hardware choices are galactic.

I still see new phones appearing for sale that I've never heard of.

Ha ha it's a competitive market that's for sure. You can get some pretty stellar hardware specs for quite cheap now.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I've used lots of Android devices over the years and have to say I've been quite happy with them. It's very customizable to get the look you're going for and the function you're going for.

They're different OS's so there's going to be differences but over a period of time you learn to make it worth just like you have with Windows.

They've all got their benefits and draw backs but I could see myself using any os and being happy with it.

Well said. I consider myself to be a chronic switcher, so I see the beauty and the ugly in all three. As for what I use, it depends on various things.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I found "Square Home 2" to work better than "Launcher 8". Tons and tons of options so It's pretty daunting at first so don't give up on it.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
So my question is, what Android devices have people been happy with after switching from WP? Particularly from the 950XL.
Bev

While there are plethora of Android devices out there, make sure to choose a decent one (in the Android world...mid to upper mid) if you want to avoid the so called "lag". I was a WP/WM user for quite long (see devices here) until I was forced to choose another platform due to work related constraints. The Lumia 950 XL being my last WM device, I was at least looking for mid to high end specs with a close to excellent camera. Since I don't like iOS, choosing an Android device was my only choice. After switching over multiple devices, I finally settled in on the Samsung S7 Edge (Exynos variant). The software, battery, camera are top notch. What stood out was the Always On Display, Fast Wireless Charging and Water Proofing. It took me sometime to get used to the platform (I kept coming back to my spare 1520, I still love that device) but eventually I switched over completely and haven't looked back. I recently bought a Lumia 650 as a backup but I am definitely not switching back to Windows Mobile soon. Not because I don't like it, because I put considerable effort in switching everything over to Android.

BevOh13

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
Wow thank you everyone for your replies! Good to know there is options to somewhat emulate the WP tiles etc.

While there are plethora of Android devices out there, make sure to choose a decent one (in the Android world...mid to upper mid) if you want to avoid the so called "lag". I was a WP/WM user for quite long (see devices here) until I was forced to choose another platform due to work related constraints. The Lumia 950 XL being my last WM device, I was at least looking for mid to high end specs with a close to excellent camera. Since I don't like iOS, choosing an Android device was my only choice. After switching over multiple devices, I finally settled in on the Samsung S7 Edge (Exynos variant). The software, battery, camera are top notch. What stood out was the Always On Display, Fast Wireless Charging and Water Proofing. It took me sometime to get used to the platform (I kept coming back to my spare 1520, I still love that device) but eventually I switched over completely and haven't looked back. I recently bought a Lumia 650 as a backup but I am definitely not switching back to Windows Mobile soon. Not because I don't like it, because I put considerable effort in switching everything over to Android.

You sound extremely similar to me. iOS isn't even the picture for me. I am however looking for a flagship device with good hardware. I have used cheaper Android devices for short stints and definitely know about the "lag" you mentioned. Good camera is a must as I've just gotten used to that with WP devices. This is one of the reasons I was instantly interested in the Nokia 8 with the Carl Zeiss lens. ASsuming pretty much every decent device to be released now will have fast charging which is another must as I love how quickly my 950XL charges.

I know I will miss some things but I think I might just have to finally bight the bullet after all these years. I still have faith in the WP platform but the headaches it comes with add up over time.

From what I know now I'm thinking my best options are to consider the Samsung S8 and Nokia 8. Leaning more towards the Nokia as I like to have something a little different but I will have to look into what both offer.

Thanks again!

Albatross2

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I switched to a Nexus 5x last fall. Recently got my wife a Nexus 6p. If you are coming from a 950 XL, I would recommend the Nexus 6p or the OnePlus 3T as phones that will be pretty solid for the next couple years.

It will take some time before you are comfortable and confident about performing all of your activities on the new OS.

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
[Thread moved to the Android forum section]

Sorry to read you are having so much trouble with WM10.
You may want to ask over at Android Central also.
AC has quite a few WP/WM refugees who have swapped over.

Windows Central hosts the Android/iOS refugees... Well, not really that many of them. Mostly the Windows crowd populates forums

alphaxi3

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Sorry boys all the stitches in the world can't sow this together again, lay down, lay down.

I am finally going to go out and buy my first Android, sigh. It was a good run while it lasted. I've only had WM and WP phones since I had to leave the Palm ecosystem. I just can't wait for MS to get themselves together anymore. I thought WM10 ran so crappy on my 1020 because the hardware couldn't handle the new OS until my wife brought the 950 and it ran just as crappy. I put WP8 back on my 1020 and am now leaving WM. I tried to stick with MS, but they just can't get it together. So long WM it was a good run. Hope to see you again WM, but for now bye, bye. :straight:

BevOh13

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
Sorry boys all the stitches in the world can't sow this together again, lay down, lay down.

I am finally going to go out and buy my first Android, sigh. It was a good run while it lasted. I've only had WM and WP phones since I had to leave the Palm ecosystem. I just can't wait for MS to get themselves together anymore. I thought WM10 ran so crappy on my 1020 because the hardware couldn't handle the new OS until my wife brought the 950 and it ran just as crappy. I put WP8 back on my 1020 and am now leaving WM. I tried to stick with MS, but they just can't get it together. So long WM it was a good run. Hope to see you again WM, but for now bye, bye. :straight:

This is exactly how I feel man :cry:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mietaz