Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Hello,

I'm glad to announce my free application for WP7, SilverDict (current version is 1.2)

SilverDict is a offline dictionary application, compatible with famous StarDict program by dictionaries format. Application is very fast, simple and reliable. You don't need to switch languages, SilverDict is using all installed and enabled dictionaries to search the words.

On the first run, application will offer you to download and install dictionaries from online repository (based on free XDXF dictionary collection XDXF - XML Dictionary Exchange Format - Browse Files at SourceForge.net ) or your own dictionaries from cloud stores (SkyDrive or DropBox).

Dictionary file archive for download and install should be:
    • in StarDict format (i.e. have *.idx, *.ifo, *.dict.dz or *.dict, optional *.syn files; also optional resource (images) directory;

• dictionary archive should be zipped (has *.zip extension) or in Unix-style compressed tarball format .tar.bz2 in one file. For *.zip archive you may try to archive more then one dictionary;

Of course, for downloading dictionaries you should have your Internet connection enabled (for download only, SilverDict does not required Internet connection)

Please, be patient: dictionary installation requires some time (depending from dictionary size).

I don't recommend you to install too many dictionaries; however, SilverDict can display up to 8 dictionaries simultaneously.

Happy searching!

Marketplace link
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sd004.jpg   sd001.jpg   poster-1-.png  

Another way to cut back on data usage; nice!

SilverDict version 1.3 is on Marketplace (both free and pain, $0.99 ads-free version)
    Update info: some bugs are fixed; added simplified umlauts (diacritic) characters input (using "regular" similar chars); improved "My Dictionaries" order handling.

Enjoy! :happy:

I forgot to update this thread after important SilverDict change, updating now (developers might be interested!)

SilverDict application was updated to WP8 OS version (but WP7 version still available), and currently supports integration with the other WP8 application by using WP8 protocol scheme feature.

You can add dictionary lookup or translation features to your own app (text reader, web browser etc.) by adding only one line of code, even if SilverDict not installed on the customer's handset (WP8 OS will automatically find and prompt customer to install SilverDict):

await Launcher.LaunchUriAsync(new System.Uri("silverdict:text=" + (sender as TextBox).SelectedText));

I attached simple example project to this post.

So, it's a very rare case where all parties (me, you and customers) are getting advantages for free :)

P.S. If you decide to use SilverDict integration in your app(s), please let me know (via PM here or on xda).

​P.P.S. If you like SilverDict at all, please rate 5 stars! :)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by sensboston; 08-29-2014 at 11:33 AM.

SilverDict finally received a long awaited update: with new version 1.8 (just published in store) you can install dictionaries from the SD-card! (Windows Phone 8 only)

Copy your *.bz2 dictionary archive (usual StarDict dictionaries format/archive), or pack your stardict dictionaries into zip archive and change extension from .zip to .zip.dic ("thanks" to MS "genious" who invented that stupid limitation!).

Or you may (it's the best solution) unpack .bz2/tar archive directly on your handset SD-card, and save time for uncompressing. It's a real "must use" feature for the huge dictionaries (like "CIA's The World Fact Book" or "Wikipedia offline").

Also application received a few bugfixes (not a critical but annoying and slowing down work bugs).

Please, test and enjoy (or report new bugs here, he-he )