MP3 to Library

Benjisbrk

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
EDIT :
Version 2.0 has just been pushed. Here are the features of that new version :
- Downloads file directly to the "music + videos" library of your phone
- Integrated browser, intercepts detected audio file transfers.
- Form to paste an url and download it
- Multiple downloads (paid version only. The trial version is limited to 1 download at a time)
- Background downloads : downloads continue even after the app is closed. You will have to re-open the app for them to get added to the library though.
- Possibility to cancel a download before it's finished

MP3 to Library | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United Kingdom)

A feature that I was missing on Windows Phone 8 was the ability to get mp3s from the net and save them directly to the music library. It was not possible, so I created my own app for that, since the new SDK (Windows Phone 8 SDK) allows that.
The result is a simple app where you just paste an url and it downloads the file and adds it to your library :)
Further updates will bring SkyDrive support and zip files support, as well as better handling of urls.

Any feedback/suggestions/feature request appreciated ! :)

Last edited:

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Downloading an MP3 to your library ? Now you can !

awesome! I believe I saw a similar app on the app marketplace at some point, but still very cool. I will def choose yours since you posted on wpcentral lol.

do you have any suggestions on good sites to find the links to music?

Benjisbrk

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

awesome! I believe I saw a similar app on the app marketplace at some point, but still very cool. I will def choose yours since you posted on wpcentral lol.

I tried to find one that has this functionnality but could not. I'd be interested to know if there are any other

Benjisbrk

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

MP3 Downloader | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) that is the app that I remember seeing, never used it though.
Seems like it was released after mine, that's why I didn't find it :)
I've been working today on one of the functionalities that this app has : an included web browser. It's finished and will also be in the next update, and it does work better than the one in MP3 Downloader : I've been able to download a track from soundcloud, which I couldn't do with the other app.

JetLife87

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I would love zip file support so when I download an album I can unzip it and add it to my library!

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

not sure if you have any control over this, but I can't download the app since I am in the US

Benjisbrk

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

I would love zip file support so when I download an album I can unzip it and add it to my library!
That's the idea :) Although it requires quite some work and I don't even have time for finishing the basic features I want in the next version right now. So it will probably be in the following iteration

not sure if you have any control over this, but I can't download the app since I am in the US
Really ? hm I'll look into it. Does anybody else from the US have this problem ?

The ability to edit the songs information would be huge...
I'll probably be adding this too... which brings me to that other point :

Some douchebag posted fake reviews on my app. He was not really careful, since his comments all reference his own app, says mine is crap, doesn't work (I doubt he even tried it to be honest) and says you can't even change ID3 tags (which was not really a feature I imagined to be mandatory, but since a few person asked for it...)
I emailed him, to ask him for an explanation, and he dared say it wasn't him, even though his name on the reviews is the same name as on the email reply I got from him and the geographical location matches too. I won't name and shame, I'll just say his app is way overpriced in my opinion for what it does, and only lets you download 4 files in the trial version. Thanks to him though, for giving me ideas and showing me what not to do :)

ChazTyldsley

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

Sign me up for requesting the ability to add ID3 tags. Had a music podcast I wanted to download today (for some reason wpodder wasn't liking the rss feed), discovered this app but when it downloaded the MP3 the app just closes out and the file is nowhere to be found in my music library. Not sure if it's because the file might not have any ID3 tags at all, or because it's too big?

Benjisbrk - for your reference to pinpoint the issue the file is the latest Going Quantum podcast - The Going Quantum Podcast - Episode 82 - Liquid Dubstep Mix + Dubba Jonny Guest Mix

Benjisbrk

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

Sign me up for requesting the ability to add ID3 tags. Had a music podcast I wanted to download today (for some reason wpodder wasn't liking the rss feed), discovered this app but when it downloaded the MP3 the app just closes out and the file is nowhere to be found in my music library. Not sure if it's because the file might not have any ID3 tags at all, or because it's too big?

Benjisbrk - for your reference to pinpoint the issue the file is the latest Going Quantum podcast - The Going Quantum Podcast - Episode 82 - Liquid Dubstep Mix + Dubba Jonny Guest Mix

I know why it crashed, it's due to a bug I fixed a while back (but not on the currently published app) : when the generated filename has a "?" in it, it crashes. It seems to be the case here, since it would make the filename as "?p=episode&name=2013-02-14_2013-02-14_goingquantumpodcast_82.mp3"

I'll work this weekend to release an update that fixes a few problems I found, including this one.

ChazTyldsley

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I know why it crashed, it's due to a bug I fixed a while back (but not on the currently published app) : when the generated filename has a "?" in it, it crashes. It seems to be the case here, since it would make the filename as "?p=episode&name=2013-02-14_2013-02-14_goingquantumpodcast_82.mp3"

I'll work this weekend to release an update that fixes a few problems I found, including this one.

Appreciate the explanation and the fix in the works. Looking forward to the updates :) very useful app to have.

Benjisbrk

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

I just finished the last modifications and I'm going to submit.
Here are the new features :
- Multiple downloads (only 1 simultaneous download in trial version)
- Possibility to cancel a download before it's finished
- Fixed various bugs. Now it makes sure that what you download is legit so it won't fill your library with crap.
- Background downloads : downloads continue even after the app is closed. You will have to re-open the app for them to get added to the library though.
- Integrated browser, intercepts detected audio file transfers.

I'll submit it tomorrow, so the update should arrive before next weekend.

Paulsalame

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site

Just Wanted to thank you for the wonderful app ! for all the people that bash the windows store..I had an iPhone for 2 years..and never saw an app that can do this. A bunch of apps could download songs into the app itself but not into the "iPod", I honestly find this app more useful then instagram lol .. Just wanted to thank you for your hard work and a quesrtion, aside from mp3skull what good download websites are found to be working ? Thanks again !

Benjisbrk

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

Just Wanted to thank you for the wonderful app ! for all the people that bash the windows store..I had an iPhone for 2 years..and never saw an app that can do this. A bunch of apps could download songs into the app itself but not into the "iPod", I honestly find this app more useful then instagram lol .. Just wanted to thank you for your hard work and a quesrtion, aside from mp3skull what good download websites are found to be working ? Thanks again !

Thanks ! Well I never did iPhone dev (I'm allergic to Mac OS) but I think the SDK does not provide the possibility to access the music library (not to write in it anyway). They really want you to use iTunes, and with Windows Phone 7, it was kind of the same problem. With Windows Phone 7 you had to use Zune to transfer music. Now you can just copy/paste your music to a directory so it only makes sense to give the possibility to write in the library in the SDK too.

I submited the update, now comes the wait.

Ronald Brown

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site

I am going to give your app a try. I have been looking for something like this since I switch to WP8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo