Pocket File Manager. The only real manager with full access to photos, video and SD Card! + 6 Clouds

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,

Pocket File Manager | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Features:
- Full featured FTP Server. Supports active and passive connections. Supports authentication.
- File browser.
- Full access to Pictures folder in phone's memory
- Full access to whole SD card
- Copy/Cut/Paste operations for files and folders
- SkyDrive,Dropbox, Yandex.Disk, Box support
- Media library support
- Send files by Bluetooth
- Supports extracting from rar,zip,tar,gz,7z formats
- Compressing files and folders into .zip file
- Save music into media library and set music as ringtone
- Open and view movie files (supported formats are depend on Windows phone supported formats)
- Open file in phone. If supported applications are exist
- Receive archive files from mail, browser and any application which can open it in phone.
- Run under lock screen

Limitation (Please read it!): Windows phone has some limitations which prevent third party applications from accessing parts of files system. You cannot access music files, documents located inside phone memory.

If you have questions and/or suggestions, feel free to post it here. And do not forget to post your review on marketplace :) !

2b3b400b-2b55-4211-b984-99e139cbe5de.png

Thank you.

pocketfilemanager.png

Also Pocket File Manager provides API for third party applications to save files into Phone pictures folder and SD card.

How it works:

All what you need is to add special extension into your file and execute Launcher. PFM will receive file and save it to desired location , also it will remove extension so the file name remains original.

Extensions supproted:

.tosd - Save file to SD Card. For example you have file named "my new file.dat" and you want to save it to SD card. Rename the file to "my new file.dat.tosd" and use Windows.System.Launcher.LaunchFileAsync(); PFM will store the file named "my new file.dat" in SD Card. If no SD card is presents file will be stored into Phone's storage Picture folder)

.tols - Save file to PFM local storage.

.tops - Save file to Phone's storage under the Pictures folder.

Test application with source code is attached.

Attachments

• PFMTest.zip
    97.9 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Pocked FTP Server (The only application with FTP Server and File Manager) (free for limited time

Cool, I'll check it out

Mahdi Ghiasi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Pocked FTP Server (The only application with FTP Server and File Manager) (free for limited time

Just downloaded it.
It's amazing. specially the ability to manage Photo Library is very cool.
I wish the app had a better name, because it is more than just a pocket FTP server :)

Mahdi Ghiasi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site

It would be nice if you implement a download option for it; Just like GetThemAll app, but with other advantages of this amazing app, like opening, sending via bluetooth, using FTP to copy files to computer (GetThemAll needs a small app on the computer) , etc...

Mahdi Ghiasi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site

I also found that video files captured by camera (they're in Photo Library) are not appearing in this app.
Is this a WP8 limitation? If not, please fix it :)

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

Hello.

This app was developer as FTP server first, thats why it has such name. After that we added support for cloud storages to easily copy files between them.
Accessing photo library as virtual folders is only available options right now, and only as read only. Apps has no access to videos, except apps from vendors like NOOKIA and etc. I have no idea why they put such restrictions among with hundred other restrictions! Believe me, if it could possible, we would implement it.

We are considering right now about downloader feature. Cannot promise it will be in next release, but definitely it will be available! (I need it too as user of app :) )
To transfer files, you can take them from FTP Server already.

Mahdi Ghiasi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site

So, they even closed access to videos taken by camera?!? Hope they remove these limitations in next updates :|
But, is it possible that for example Nokia give you special permissions? Have you tried contacting them?

It's nice to hear that you are already working on downloader feature! but, please also include a schedule option on it, so we can start and pause download at specific times; My internet connection has limited traffic, but it is unlimited from 1AM to 7AM :|

You know, I feel very happy now, because your app made my life easier! The name doesn't suggest what it does, and how useful it is. Please work on promoting your app, maybe changing app name to "File Explorer" or something :)

And a suggestion: It would be nice if you register your app to read some file extensions (pdf, zip, rar, 7z, ...) from SD Card. Then you can add a read only SD Card folder to the app, which shows common file types in real folders.

Thank you for this great application.

Last edited:

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

It's nice to hear that you are already working on downloader feature! but, please also include a schedule option on it, so we can start and pause download at specific times; My internet connection has limited traffic, but it is unlimited from 1AM to 7AM :|
Unfortunately WP8 cannot do it. You can start background download, but it very limited by file and app has no control on resuming/pausing this. And also you cannot schedule anything heavy like download process. Background task can be started not faster than every 30 minutes and you have about 15 second to finish your task or OS will kill it. So you have to start application manually and resume all downloads :(

And a suggestion: It would be nice if you register your app to read some file extensions (pdf, zip, rar, 7z, ...) from SD Card. Then you can add a read only SD Card folder to the app, which shows common file types in real folders.
This also in our future list.

As about renaming. Maybe we will change it, but at this point this app is already known by its name.

Mahdi Ghiasi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site

Unfortunately WP8 cannot do it. You can start background download, but it very limited by file and app has no control on resuming/pausing this. And also you cannot schedule anything heavy like download process. Background task can be started not faster than every 30 minutes and you have about 15 second to finish your task or OS will kill it. So you have to start application manually and resume all downloads :(

I'm not talking about downloading files in the background. I'm talking about simple start/pause function based on time when application is in the foreground.
Imagine I want to download a huge file, and I want to go to bed at 11 PM. I open your app, set it to start at 1 AM and stop at 7 AM, and leave it opened. so it starts downloading on foreground behind the lock screen at 1 AM and pauses (if download hasn't finished) at 7 AM.
Then, when I wake up at 9 AM, I will be happy, because the file has downloaded just from 1 AM to 7 AM :)

Regards

devil.insulted

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

This is not a true file manager, but has some nice feature.
Thanks alot for the share

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

Thx 4 the tip😉

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

I'm not talking about downloading files in the background. I'm talking about simple start/pause function based on time when application is in the foreground.
Imagine I want to download a huge file, and I want to go to bed at 11 PM. I open your app, set it to start at 1 AM and stop at 7 AM, and leave it opened. so it starts downloading on foreground behind the lock screen at 1 AM and pauses (if download hasn't finished) at 7 AM.
Then, when I wake up at 9 AM, I will be happy, because the file has downloaded just from 1 AM to 7 AM :)

Regards

Ok. I've got it. :) Sure will be very nice addition to the download feature. Thanks for suggestion

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

Just want to inform you that updated version of this application now alive.

in this update you can add same type of file system for different accounts.
Also a few bugs have been fixed.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
re: Pocket File Manager (The only application with FTP Server and File Manager)

[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/pocket-file-manager/56dd9c3d-fe0a-4ceb-84b0-043e58e55b19
Ne version just released. Now with downloader. Supports resume and scheduler.[/FONT]

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

Just a question to PFM users. Do you need video recorder inside this app? Just to be able to operate with video files as WP gives no access to videos stored inside phone.

nsbabra

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site

@RayAdams - Just bought it today myself (+3 friends of mine), I have wanted this kind of app for Windows Phone ever since I bought L920. Yes, it has its limitations and workarounds , but most of them are from the OS itself. And being a developer myself, I know how much work had you put in.
However on the review/feedback side, Music files added to library via PFM does not display their Album art.(I know its not a big feature, but I am a Music addict and I have album arts for every song).So would like to see that in the next update.
And Some UI changes, Its Functional but if UI can be made better, I'm sure you'll find many more customers (specially those looking for Wireless File Transfers).

PS - The "Contact Support " email id does not work.
Regards.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

Thank you for response.
first about songs. I will check what I can do fo it. As about UI.What do you mean by better? Easy access to function or anything else?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3