[App] Digital Audio Book - audiobook player WP8

Lady_Of_Luminosity

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi Dimitry,

I have downloaded your app and it looks really good but there is one big problem for me. When i downloaded digital audio book server and tried to start it, it said "not valid Win32 applictin". I have win XP so might that be a problem? i see that u have win8 comp in your videos.... and app does run on my friends win7.
So pls tell me if i can hope for you to optimize it for win XP in the future or if not can u tell me if i can make my own server and use it instead of your app?

Jan Andersson

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I am a developer myself and so I know that C/C++ programs developed by using the newer versions of Microsoft's Visual Studio as default creates programs not compatible with XP(and older Windows). Usually it is easy to add support for XP by using what is called another "tool set" in Visual Studio.

Martin Lorenz

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Hello I've tried everything mentioned in this thread but I can't get the app on my lumia 920 connected with the local server. The thing is that I got it to work when I had another software firewall. I used the AVG Antivirus Software with an included firewall at this time. From there I could disable the software firewall and the app on the phone suddenly got connected to my PC. Now I've switched to Windows 8.1 and use the COMODO Internet Security Software. So I disabled all possible firewall guards (COMODO Firewall and Windows Firewall) but the app does not get connected to the local server. Even in the IE Browser of the mobile phone I can't retrieve the xml file from the running local server. My server adress looks like this: http://192.168.178.24:8888/rss.xml. I also tried to manually open the port 8888 in my router settings (Fritz Box 7320). Can you tell me what I've done wrong and how to get the connection from app to local server to work?
Thanks for you help

brianlg

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Will this app not stream from skydrive? like BARD does? I feel like I have to download each file before it will play. Or am I wrong?

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Great job, Dmitry! If I am not missing anything, I'd like to make a suggestion: please add an automatic sleep timer. I suppose many people listen to audio books before they go to sleep. The built-in sleep timer is very helpful in this case, but it would be even better if it can be automatically activated when the player starts. I suggest that every time the user start the player, the player stops automatically in 10 minutes (or a duration set by the user) if the phone is not operated. If the phone is operated at any time, including volume adjusting, then the sleep timer restarts. This is kind like how the Rockbox on Sansa 250 works, which I found extremely convenient. I hope we can have it on Digital Audio Book.

quasread

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Dmitry,
Just went through ripping my Audio Book from CD and then wrote a script to add the ".dabm" at the end.
Then I put it on my SD card and went to the program and it told me that it does not support VBR - is this support coming for it in future update..? Since it makes a big difference in size of the file.
Is ABR supported..?
Any thoughts of making a Windows 8 app to add the ".dabm"

Tim Elley

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Just found your app, and it is the best audio book player I have found. I've just switched from an iPhone 4 to a Nokia 1020, and I love the new phone, but I was really frustrated by the lack of support for audio books. Now I'm happy. You've done some excellent work here!

pekmez

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
just bought the app and found the same problem as lot of people here (Martin Lorenz, Pia Magnusson, Oberon70...) Just can't establish a connection to the server. I dont know what to do

trixeo

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I've been trying out this combination of server and client and found that there is no way to get the server to work through a NAT as there is no way to chose the external IP-address in the Server list. Neither is the RSS Url editable. The XML-file produced will have links that points to e.g. "hxxp://192.168.1.2:8888/Book1/0001.mp3" instead of the external IP/URL which will obviously not resolve correctly on the Internet. Please make the Rss Url field editable or make the path in the resulting rss.xml have relative paths instead of absolute. Or make the Server-field detect external IP.

I've successfully opened a port in the router which points to the internal IP/port, connected to it externally through a DNS-name eg hxxp://example.mine.nu:8888/rss.xml and got the client to connect and list the book.

I also wish that there was a way to run the server as a service with preconfigured config/RSS, or a command line option like:
DigitalAudioBookDesktop.exe /cfg:server1.xml /rss:book1.dab /start /minimized /tray
Where the config file would contain the settings: Server, Port, Feed name, Rss Url and maybe even the command line options like /rss:book1.dab /start /minimized /tray.

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss