MagicPacket - app for Wake On LAN/Wake On WAN with advanced features (NFC, Cortana)

DecaTec_de

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
App Name: MagicPacket

Available for: Windows Phone, Windows (universal app)

Price: free

This is my first app for Windows/Windows Phone. I know that there are more than enough apps for Wake On LAN out there in the store, but either these apps were not working for me or I missed some important feature. So I developed my own app for WOL and tried to implement features which are not really necessary, but are nice to have.
Also the app is free from ads, no requests for rating the app and no other annoying 'features'!

The only requirement is a proper configuration of the computers which should be woken by WOL.

Features:
  • Starting computers by Wake On LAN/Wake On WAN.
  • Combine more computers into groups to start these at once.
  • Pin computers or groups to the start screen.
  • Starting computers/groups by voice command (Cortana). You can use following commands:
    MagicPacket [start|wake] computer|group <name of computer/group>

Examples:
    • MagicPacket start computer Desktop (starts the computer 'Desktop')
    • MagicPacket group Home (starts the Group with the name 'Home')
  • Starting computers/groups by NFC tag. You can write an NFC tag directly from within the app to start your computers/groups. Then you only have to bring your device near the NFC tag and the Wake On LAN command is sent.
  • Starting of computers/groups with a shortcut URL: For every computer or group, a shortcut URL is generated by which you can start these.
  • The computer and group configurations are synchronized between devices (which use the same Microsoft ID).

A detailed description of the app with tips for usage can be found in my blog.

I hope that the app is useful for some people. I'm always glad for receiving feedback or even a rating in the app store.
If you run into problems using the app, I'll do my best to solve these problems.

Link to Windows Phone Store:
MagicPacket for Windows Phone

Link to Windows Store:
MagicPacket for Windows

Some screenshots:

Windows Phone:
Computers.png AddComputer.png

Windows:
ComputersAndGroups.png AddGroup.png

DecaTec_de

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
A new major update is available for MagicPacket: v1.3.0 (Windows Phone)/v1.1.0 (Windows). This version should be available in the app stores within a few hours.

Usually I do not write any info about app updates here, but this update is something special as it implements a feature which was often asked for by the users: Remote shut down

With remote shut down, computers (or groups) can now be shut down, restarted or sent to standby or hibernate mode remotely. In the computers which should be shut down, the program Windows Server Advanced Power Management has to be installed.
This software was made by me a while ago and offers an advanced power management for Windows computers. Primarily designed for home servers, it is also useful for desktop PCs. Since version 1.4.0 it supports remote shut down.

Why a software has to be installed for remote shut down?
The answer is pretty simple: There is a standard defined for Wake On LAN (the main functionality of MagicPacket), so there is no special software needed, as this is implemented "in hardware". But unfortunately there is no standard defined for remote shut down. Due to this fact, a software is necessary which can receive and execute remote shut down commands.
As Windows Server Advanced Power Management is specifically designed for power management tasks, I decided to implement functionality for remote shut down in this software. It offers a lot more features which you don't have to use when only interested in remote shut down. Feel free to take a look at the user manual if you want to learn more about Windows Server Advanced Power Management and its features.

How to set up remote shut down
The setup for remote shut down is simple:
  • Install Windows Server Advanced Power Management on the computer which should be shut down remotely.
  • Enter the program settings (tab Remote shut down) and activate the corresponding option. You'll have to specify a UDP port which is used for receiving the remote shut down commands (default: port 9).
    Optionally you can specify a password. Important: As this password is sent over the network unencrypted, this is not meant to be a real security feature. Please do not use any passwords you are already using for other services!
  • Now go the app settings of MagicPacket and enable the remote shut down option here.
  • After this, new options can be found in a computer's setting: Here you have to specify the port and password as it was entered in Windows Server Advanced Power Management.
  • You can now remotely shut down computers or groups: Either by the context menu, by NFC or by voice command (Cortana, Windows Phone only).

A detailed description of how to implement remote shut down with Windows Server Advanced Power Management and MagicPacket can be found in my blog.

Aside from remote shut down, the new version of MagicPacket fixes a few bugs.

I'm always glad for receiving feedback or even a rating in the app store.
If you run into problems using the app, I'll do my best to solve these problems.

Link to Windows Phone Store:
MagicPacket for Windows Phone

Link to Windows Store:
MagicPacket for Windows

Windows Server Advanced Power Management:
Windows Server Advanced Power Management for Windows

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3