Live Earth: Himawari 8 - Auto-Updating HD or 4K images of Earth on your wallpaper or lockscreen

RoboLam

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm a space nerd, :p and when I learned that there's a weather satellite that takes regular high-res images of our entire planet and makes the images publicly available, I knew this was the app I had to make!

Live Earth: Himawari 8 will set your Lockscreen or Wallpaper to the image taken from the satellite that best correlates to your current local time and update it every 15 minutes (Mircosoft limitation for Universal apps) to ensure that your image is in sync with your time of day.

Sadly, there is no equivalent European or American satellite currently in service at this time. (<<<< Most frequently asked question)

User feedback is very important to me. I would very much like to receive any and all constructive criticism, suggestions, bug reports, and of course flattery, but only if so deserved :winktongue:

https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9nblggh4n87f

Mobile0.png Mobile1.pngMobile2.png Mobile3.pngMobile4.png Mobile8.pngMobile7.png Mobile6.pngMobile5.png

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Nice work! I'm keen about space (used to be (or still am since I'm the last one) the president of our country's chapter of SEDS (Students for the Exploration and Development of Space) back when I was in college. Any topic in space with me could lead into a discussion that could either be a few seconds or several hours long.

I'm more interested in weather satellite images now, though. Adding that as an option could boost your audience. I believe Himawari also delivers IR images.

RoboLam

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
I'm more interested in weather satellite images now, though. Adding that as an option could boost your audience.
Himawari 8 is a weather satellite :p Older weather satellites are limited either in resolution or the area in which they cover (i.e. not full disc images). There a other apps that tap into specific weather sat images for specific regions so I decided not to compete there. My approach is to make the information part more aesthetic to get non-science people interested and hopefully it will peak their interest and they will seek out the more detail oriented sat apps you speak of :smile:
I believe Himawari also delivers IR images
I have integrated "mutispectral" images from CIRA. These images combine data from most of Himawari 8's various sensors, including IR and RBG, into a single image. I may integrate IR alone in the future if there's a demand for it. Tbh, most of users are less knowledgeable than you and just want to stare in awe of our blue planet :smile: but I completely get where you're coming from!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers