NO iPhone 5. Nokia and MS this is your chance!

Drewidian

Oct 3, 2009
Visit site
Since Apple only released a modified iPhone 4 (the 4s). I think this is the perfect opportunity for MS and Nokia to jump in and steal some of those users who are apathetic to that static sea of icons. What do you think? How would you approach this community?

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I think Apple really let their competitors off the hook. The only real wow factor that I got from that presentation was the voice integration, even though I personally probably wouldn't use it much. And that's a software update so the iPhone 4 will get it.

I'm really surprised that they kept the same size as the 4. I think a lot of people will be skipping this one.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I think Apple really let their competitors off the hook. The only real wow factor that I got from that presentation was the voice integration, even though I personally probably wouldn't use it much. And that's a software update so the iPhone 4 will get it.

I'm really surprised that they kept the same size as the 4. I think a lot of people will be skipping this one.
Yeah, major iBore or what ? :)

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This is definitely a chance for WP7 (and Android, unfortunately) to steal some thunder from Apple. Today's announcement was a huge letdown. . . a device that looks identical to the iPhone 4, with no LTE or WiMAX capability. I'm sure it will sell well, but it certainly lacks the "wow" factor.

Not only that, but all iPhone 4 owners (at least in the USA) are still on their contract. There is still a big window of opportunity here. Although to be fair, Apple may release the proper iPhone 5 right around iPhone 4's 2-year anniversary.

Apoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I hope MS, take this chance and feed the world day & night, just how good WP7 really is, especially with Mango out now!!

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The only real new thing shown was their voice recog software, which technically could be done by Tellme. Only question is will MS up their game and really push new, exciting features like Xbox/Kinect integration (and we're talking real-time gameplay and Xbox control) or just stumble along at the behest of the carriers.

Now we can expect Sprint along with the other carriers to give WP7 even more of a cold shoulder and its up to Microsoft and Nokia to promote and show WP7 to consumers.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
If Nokia release a 4.3 screen, colored Searay with a great screen the battle will get nasty ;). ( Maybe dual core so it can have 1080p video, I know Microsoft doesn't allow it, but Nokia is special )

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Pure specs can't beat hype and brand loyalty.

I only "liked" this because it is true. I wish it wasn't so, however. I can't allow myself to be fooled into thinking that this is good for Windows Phone. I bet this one model will sell better than all of the new Windows Phone models combined. Here are some of the reasons why I think this model is going to be an overall-negative for WP7.5.

- The dual-core: We can shout until we are blue in the face about how Windows Phone doesn't need a dual-core to run extremely smooth, but now that WP will be the only OS without any hardware sporting dual-core, it is going to look like a second-hand operating system again.

- SIRI: Not only is SIRI going to create unnecessary hype, but it is really going to highlight the poor (or honestly, lack of) turn-by-turn in WP7.5. Sure, Microsoft has had the equivalent to SIRI for years, but it hasn't implemented it into WP (which is what I would call a missed opportunity) and the average consumer doesn't even know about it (I didn't even know about it until today).

- Memory: The option to have up to 64gb of memory is really going to stand out against WP's flagship devices, with their 16gb maximum.

- Carrier loyalty: Now that there are going to be three carriers with the iPhone, I'm curious to see how each reacts. I'm sure Sprint is going to be coddling Apple for the next year or so. However, I wonder how AT&T and Verizon will react.

Tl;dr - Any announcement by Apple is going to affect Windows Phone negatively. Regardless of whether or not the new iPhone is going to be game-changing or not, it is going to steal hype away from WP, regardless.

Additionally, the Nokia event is after the launch of the iP4s, which is outrageously sad, at best. By that time, there will already be millions of people in new two-year contracts that will not know what they are about to miss.

I still hope for the best for MS (and Nokia, I guess), but I can't say I'm too optimistic about this upcoming quarter. :(

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
People still think Windows Phone is very slow, even worse is that I don't have 3G in my work to show them for fast it is =(

Dileu

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Dual core processor, Bluetooth 4, 7x improvement in 3D graphics, backside illuminated 8mp camera with wide aperture lens, a world phone where one model works on GSM and CDMA, Siri... You guys are high if you think this is a minor update just because the phone LOOKS the same as the iPhone 4.

Dont get me wrong, I still think I am sticking to WP7, but come on...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills