Got the new iPhone 5...

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it's the same thing, but this device makes me the most money!

Who has one and what do you think?

What color did you get?

What size?

My thoughts... the new connector, I like. I can plug it in either way. I'm usually struggling to put it in the right way in the dark when going to sleep. I have a Galaxy S3 & Nokia Lumia 900, yet the i5 seems weird and a bit long! I like the fact that the sides are black as well unless before with the chrome/silver. It is ridiculously light. So light, I must say it again... it is ridiculously LIGHT! When I held it, I had to ask my boss if that was a demo unit (non-working).

I got the black, 32gb. Saw the white in person and was really going to stay with white, but I started using the privacy screen from Zagg on my 4S and it looks ugly on a white phone.

EddieV2

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Do you like it being that light? I can't figure I would considering it wouldn't feel as...tangible I guess as a similarly sized phone.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Do you like it being that light? I can't figure I would considering it wouldn't feel as...tangible I guess as a similarly sized phone.
Honestly, I don't know. I'm leaning closer to no, but a coworker and I were talking about how much better it might be to be that light when it comes to drops. The lighter, the less likely it would be to shatter? A few drop tests I've seen recently make it seem very true.

Look at this comparison sheet on Phone Scoop. If I had to guess, that would be the order (least likely to most likely), in which the device would shatter from drops. It's also in order of lightest to heaviest. The Lumia 920 might be the exception to my theory though.

Compare Phones (Phone Scoop)

EddieV2

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I see what you're saying and I would agree with you if technology and the build quality of phones hadn't advanced, you know? Like you said, you think the 920 would be the exception due to its glass quality, quality of the actual phone, and the best phone designs today have the pressure on certain areas or are designed to dissipate pressure away from the glass.

With all that said, lighter is better for a drop considering less weight = less pressure...maybe.

Did they sacrifice durability though to make it lighter?

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking of picking one up today, but after hearing all of the issues people are having, I'm having second thoughts.

I don't remember there being this many issues with wp phones except for the focus s audio pop and sensitive camera button.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone5 is a good phone. No doubt.

As for durability, lightness may play a factor. But it really is about engineering. Have you guys ever had to do the egg drops in high school physics class? Where you surround the egg with toothpicks or or paper or whatever.

For all these devices, the internals are fragile. The lighter the device, the less protection for the internals. So the more engineering that has to be done to overcome that. Or if you just stick more fragile stuff in there, you also need more engineering and protection.

Then after all that, all it takes is for a phone to drop at just the "wrong angle" and your phone breaks anyways. LOL

emergenic

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I would say that with the iPhone5 Apple has pretty much perfected the hardware form factor originally introduced on the iPhone4.

I doubt they will stick with this design past the IPhone5s release, and more than likely will introduce an iOS refresh when iOS7 ready.

It's a great time to be in the market for a smartphone, with so many quality choices available to consumers it is almost guaranteed you will find a phone that will suit your needs.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I still haven't used it or set it up. Lol. Just having it lying somewhere. I will definitely have it at work tomorrow though, helps my sales ;)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I never liked the fact that Apple used proprietary connectors. I prefer standard USB/miniUSB/microUSB.

How does the iPhone 5 compare to the SIII naked?

I found the SIII too thin and shiny to easily grip if not in a case.

Is the iPhone 5 something that needs a case to avoid slipping out of one's hands?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99