iPhone 5 2GB Data In One Day

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I don't know what this guy was doing with his phone, but he's trying to make it sound like he used 2GB of Data with normal usage.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpsojsznv4o&feature=relmfu[/YT]

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Lame. There' no way that was "casual" use. He was either tethering or purposely downloading massive files. Either way, just a troll looking for attention.

And incidentally (to him), it has nothing to do with the iPhone. Any phone could rack up that much data usage in a day if you abuse it. I could do it just downloading 1/5 of my pics from SkyDrive.

justreason

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I'll play devil's advocate and say he did this to show that the 2gb data cap is not capable of allowing a user to fully utilize LTE for a month.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Of course that's why he did it... but it's a stupid argument for him to make, because he gamed the system to prove the point.

Last week I was in Jamaica for the week, so I was on a limited data plan, but I had NO PROBLEM checking my People Hub updates (very frequently... at least once an hour) and 2 E-mail accounts (both constantly), and surfing the web/watching YouTube (at least a dozen times a day), and I was below the 75MB mark for the week.

It was one of the few times I actually used my phone as my primary device and used it more the way a consumer would than as a techy guy who prefers a laptop/tablet.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Lame. There' no way that was "casual" use. He was either tethering or purposely downloading massive files. Either way, just a troll looking for attention.

And incidentally (to him), it has nothing to do with the iPhone. Any phone could rack up that much data usage in a day if you abuse it. I could do it just downloading 1/5 of my pics from SkyDrive.

That's what I was thinking. We was probably streaming Netflix's or something. :D

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Well that's the power of LTE. Not sure if this would even be possible over 3G.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
You have to watch the other video where he responds to people who said it's his fault, not the carrier's fault, and they say he's the problem.

He responds with his viewpoint on carriers how data should be unlimited because if you click on a link, you have no idea how much data will be used until after the fact. Also, to him, normal usage was a "few" YouTube videos and I forgot what else. He said that on the previous iPhones, since there was no LTE, you'd get low-quality standard definition videos on YouTube, which obviously uses less data. The iPhone 5 with LTE automatically chooses I think 720p HD video which uses a ton of data, and he claims you can't choose the quality manually, it just does it for you.

Also, he said he didn't tether, because he doesn't pay for tethering, and his iPhone isn't jailbroken.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
The speed doesn't matter... as I said, I could sync just a small portion of my SkyDrive library to my phone and suck up 2GB in a few hours too.

I would love to have an unlimited plan again, but the facts just don't support that I need it. I use less than 500MB/month. Even if I started doing more streaming video and music, I could quadruple the amount of data I use and only barely hit the 2GB mark.

It's an educational matter and a matter of personal responsibility. Use Wi-Fi first. Case closed.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's an educational matter and a matter of personal responsibility. Use Wi-Fi first. Case closed.
The problem with that is the slowness of WiFi compared to LTE.

A friend of mine posted the speed he got on his Samsung Galaxy S3 on VZW's LTE network. He got 25 Mbps down, which is faster than his FiOS speed.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
The problem with that is the slowness of WiFi compared to LTE.

A friend of mine posted the speed he got on his Samsung Galaxy S3 on VZW's LTE network. He got 25 Mbps down, which is faster than his FiOS speed.

Again, it's not about speed. It's about being responsible for what you're doing or be willing to pay for what you use. :)

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Is it possible he was working by the Hadron Collider in Switzerland and a small black hole got inside his iPhone? :D

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
The speed doesn't matter... as I said, I could sync just a small portion of my SkyDrive library to my phone and suck up 2GB in a few hours too.

I would love to have an unlimited plan again, but the facts just don't support that I need it. I use less than 500MB/month. Even if I started doing more streaming video and music, I could quadruple the amount of data I use and only barely hit the 2GB mark.

Haha, I also forgot to mention that he argued why should he use Wi-Fi if his LTE is faster than his home internet connection. So I guess he's trying to argue why should we have LTE if we can't really use it for much?

Not that I support his argument, but that's what he's saying.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Again, it's not about speed. It's about being responsible for what you're doing or be willing to pay for what you use. :)

The problem is before we had unlimited data for $30 and we didn't have to worry about overages, and now we have tiered data plans where you have to calculate how much data you're going to use. I think he has a good point on how data is hard to measure. Data is measured in bytes, but what does that mean to the average consumer? How much video can I watch with 1GB? How many e-mails can I check? Web pages can I browse? And the answer? It depends. It must be really confusing for the average person.

Then again, in Europe people there seem to be able to figure out what their data usage is, but some carriers still do offer unlimited data.

We have T-Mobile and Sprint offering unlimited data, but... just no haha.

And what about the poor people who live in areas where basically all ISPs have decided it's not worth rolling out the copper or fiber? They go, it's okay, you may not have DSL or cable, but we're bringing something better! LTE! Yeah, but $100 for just 10GB? No thanks.

The wireless industry in the states make me sad.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't disagree that it's a crappy situation... but they're taking advantage of our laziness and lack of education, so I promote being smart first and take away their ability to screw us.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Could have just been downloading all the apps he had on his previous iPhone?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo