Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    283 Global Posts
    Hey friends,

Although I write for Windows Phone Central and don't see any other OS being my main squeeze for a long time... just wanted to expand my horizon. I'm looking to pick up an iOS device sometime over the next few months. Mostly to stay up to date on what the competition can and can't do. Most start ups develop for iOS first, so it would be nice to try out their apps as well.
    Should I get an iPad mini or an iPod touch?

Would love to hear your thoughts on this!

:)

PS. I am not leaving Windows Phone. #nofreakout
    Sam Sabri
    Managing Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Email - sam@wpcentral.com
    Twitter - samsabri
    Instagram - samsabri
    Twitch - GeneralSham
    Xbox Live - GeneralSham

Global Posts
    1,160 Global Posts
    Hands down iPad Mini. I still love my iPad2 even if it is mostly collecting dust after I got my Lumia 920. Even when I was CrackBerry addict I found the iPad to be a nice addition to My BB giving my a chance to explore all those apps. Now on WP8 I mainly miss TapaTalk.

But I could not see myself picking up an iPod. It is like it doesn't have anything extra to offer compared to the Lumia.

Global Posts
    283 Global Posts
    Definitely leaning towards the iPad mini. Pardon my unfamiliarity, but it will run both iPhone and 'iPad' apps right? Just the iPhone apps get scaled up?
    Sam Sabri
    Managing Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Email - sam@wpcentral.com
    Twitter - samsabri
    Instagram - samsabri
    Twitch - GeneralSham
    Xbox Live - GeneralSham

Global Posts
    997 Global Posts
    I'd go with the iPad Mini just because the screen is a lot bigger and it doesn't really cost that much more than the iPod Touch.

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303

Global Posts
    33,002 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sabri View Post
    Definitely leaning towards the iPad mini. Pardon my unfamiliarity, but it will run both iPhone and 'iPad' apps right? Just the iPhone apps get scaled up?
    Have you asked our friends at iMore?

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Most do get scaled up. If you get the iPad mini you'll likely see "iPod Apps" vs. "iPad Apps".

Also I believe the scaled up for iPad version of apps generally have HD next to the title.

Now onto my suggestion.

iPad mini! I love mine, very easy to carry around with me and the form factor is great. Having said that, the only reason I selected that one over the Nexus 7 is because my car only allows me to connect iOS devices.

But yes, if your options or iPod or iPad...hands down iPad. You might want to wait for the one with retina display though ;-)

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I prefer ipad mini

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Writing this on an iPad Mini ;) it depends what you want it for, as ever. The iPod touch will give a more iPhone feel - a very close experience indeed. iPhone apps running on an iPad are pretty sucky. Having said that, the iPad mini is an awesome device. I guess it really depends on what completion you are looking to compare - phone or tablet? Against wp8 or w8/rt?
    Developer

Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    MS Surface :)... Don't be an iSheep. I understand you want a new OS, but IOS gets stale and boring fast. If anything, get an android tablet.

However, if I did have to choose, I'd get an iTouch, jailbreak it, and install the windows phone theme. That way, I get the best of both worlds.
    ATMOSPHERE WEATHER
    Atmosphere is an advanced weather app with a beautiful and user friendly interface. It uses advanced graphs and typography to make the forecast readable and detailed, yet beautiful to look at and use.

SUPPORT/DEVELOPMENT THREAD
    Support thread at WPCentral
    DOWNLOAD NOW
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...6-3e5b977a2aec
    FOLLOW ATMOSPHERE ON TWITTER
    https://twitter.com/AtmoWeather
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,477 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IN5TIGATOR View Post
    MS Surface :)... Don't be an iSheep. I understand you want a new OS, but IOS gets stale and boring fast. If anything, get an android tablet.
    He specifically wants an iOS device. Not a Surface... Or an Android tablet (he gave his reasons for specifically iOS)

However, with that said, I'm leaning more towards the iPad Mini. If I weren't getting a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0, I would probably get an iPad Mini. As it stands though I can just use my 4th gen iPod Touch.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    iPad Mini!

The iPod Touch is great too but I think if Apps is what you're leaning on then it'd be better on a larger screen :)

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I am using iPad 2 and iPhone 4S, loving it so much.

iPad mini is better if you really want to choose one.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,683 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IN5TIGATOR View Post

However, if I did have to choose, I'd get an iTouch, jailbreak it, and install the windows phone theme. That way, I get the best of both worlds.
    So if i have an Apple I am an isheep? nice generalisation.

Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    I think you would be better with iPod Touch for now.

If u really want to test the experience , wait for second generation iPad mini.