Tempted by the iPhone 5S, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
in the end I'll probably stay in Windows Phone land for the following reasons:

- I love live tiles and the ability to pin web sites, contacts and Gmail labels to the start screen
- I love the fact that I can size the tiles 3 different ways(for most of them) and arrange them in a way that's logical to me
- I love the fact that I can choose from 20+ accent colors
- I love the fact that Windows Phone has a dedicated app list instead of how iOS does it which is to vomit every app install onto the start screen
- I love the fact that the Lumia 920 is made of premium polycarbonate that means you don't have to put a case on it. The iPhone is listed at 112 grams, but everyone puts a case on it which means that listed weight is really a fraud. If you try to use an iPhone 5S BARE, the back will get scratched to hell.

So while I'd love to have the fully-featured iPhone and all the apps, it's those things which are keeping me in the WP-land. Bottom line is the WP start screen reflects my personality and any iOS screen just makes me feel like I'm another i-Drone.

Note: I use iOS on the iPad.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
how can an iPhone S excites you? it looks exactly the same as the one without the S and is almost virtually identical.

Exactly, except for the fact that it comes in gold.
I'd actually prefer a phone with a silvery finish, it looks more slick compared to gold, which looks like, umm better not say.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well the size & fingerprint sensor is appealing. But damn, I just can't get over some of the things that I listed above. Once you go Live Tile, it's hard to go back.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Well the size & fingerprint sensor is appealing. But damn, I just can't get over some of the things that I listed above. Once you go Live Tile, it's hard to go back.

If you've been to 9Gag recently, they say your fingerprint database will be shared to NSA, you never know :/.
I'd be happy to switch to an Iphone if they bought something really innovative like NFC or Bluetooth to its actual functionality, but switching to an Iphone just because it gained some height, doesn't make any real sense to me.
But hey, thats just me.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
how can an iPhone S excites you? it looks exactly the same as the one without the S and is almost virtually identical.

Exactly, except for the fact that it comes in gold.
I'd actually prefer a phone with a silvery finish, it looks more slick compared to gold, which looks like, umm better not say.
I could see how it could excite people that actually use apps that Windows Phone doesn't have. Just saying.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
If you've been to 9Gag recently, they say your fingerprint database will be shared to NSA, you never know :/.
I'd be happy to switch to an Iphone if they bought something really innovative like NFC or Bluetooth to its actual functionality, but switching to an Iphone just because it gained some height, doesn't make any real sense to me.
But hey, thats just me.
The fingerprint that the DMV already shares with the NSA? Ha. LOL

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I love how fanboys are saying that the 5s and 5 are virtually identical yet think that Nokia's offerings are any different. Take a look in the mirror.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why but I feel you should read this thread, it'll add some more fuel to the fire
http://forums.windowscentral.com/ap...rs-check-out-real-gangster-thread-i-made.html
Also seeing that Iphone's real sales are taking a hit, their share price too took a hit, I don't know how can someone claim that his product is innovative when the technology was implemented by another company in their device in 2011, strange eh?

But hey, fans will still queue outside apple stores to get that device before everyone else that is a few centimeters longer than its previous model and another one made in polycarbonate copied from a rival model which is doing very well and yet claiming it to be unique, bah you could fool fans but you cannot fool people who've seen the world, specially with that cumulative sales chart, tells a different tale alltogether ;), good luck with that kinda innovation and plagiarism, only invites criticism.

Last edited:

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So I updated my iPad to iOS 7 tonight and I have to say... color me not very impressed. It's a flatter UI, but overall a worse UX than before. I'm really looking forward to Windows 8.1 tablet.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
So I updated my iPad to iOS 7 tonight and I have to say... color me not very impressed. It's a flatter UI, but overall a worse UX than before. I'm really looking forward to Windows 8.1 tablet.

My Boss and a senior worker have Iphone 5, the senior is on the pathway to upgrading his device, the download is 'terribly' slow even though we have good connection at office, I feel sad for him already LOL.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I love how fanboys are saying that the 5s and 5 are virtually identical yet think that Nokia's offerings are any different. Take a look in the mirror.

You're both right and wrong here. The new 5s has some significant new features: the adoption of a 64bit processor is one and it will be interesting to see what new features this architecture supports; but I think it fair to say Apple have failed to meet expectations whether or not those expectations were reasonable.

Apple must realise that with Windows Phone, Microsoft innovated in how users interact with their device in ways many people, especially detractors, have yet to appreciate. The designers at Microsoft realised that some limitations in GUIs aren't logical, but habitual. The revisions in iOS 7 are purely cosmetic and this shows that Apple's designers don't understand what Microsoft did.

Microsoft are suffering for their innovation, look at the fuss about the missing start button in windows 8, but people will adapt in time as the new paradigm sinks in. Their implementation of this paradigm is incomplete, so there will be further innovation along this line.

As for the view in the mirror, you're completely wrong. New Windows phones are available in screen sizes from 4" to 4.8" or 6", if you count the soon to be announced Lumia 1520. You can go for a colourful 520 with interchangeable covers, or 925 unibody design, or a metallic Samsung Ativ S. In cameras, you can have a standard 5 megapixel shooter like the Lumia 520 to a 8.6 megapixel Lumia 925 to a 41 megapixel Lumia 1020. Apple only offers one screen size, one camera and only now offers choice of colours.

If you don't like the iPhone aesthetically or it is unsuitable because its screen is too small, you're stuffed with Apple and that is how you can spot a clear design philosophy like Microsoft's, from a rigid one like Apple's. Unfortunately - and I mean unfortunately - Apple have failed to adapt this time.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
You're both right and wrong here. The new 5s has some significant new features: the adoption of a 64bit processor is one and it will be interesting to see what new features this architecture supports; but I think it fair to say Apple have failed to meet expectations whether or not those expectations were reasonable.

Apple must realise that with Windows Phone, Microsoft innovated in how users interact with their device in ways many people, especially detractors, have yet to appreciate. The designers at Microsoft realised that some limitations in GUIs aren't logical, but habitual. The revisions in iOS 7 are purely cosmetic and this shows that Apple's designers don't understand what Microsoft did.

Microsoft are suffering for their innovation, look at the fuss about the missing start button in windows 8, but people will adapt in time as the new paradigm sinks in. Their implementation of this paradigm is incomplete, so there will be further innovation along this line.

As for the view in the mirror, you're completely wrong. New Windows phones are available in screen sizes from 4" to 4.8" or 6", if you count the soon to be announced Lumia 1520. You can go for a colourful 520 with interchangeable covers, or 925 unibody design, or a metallic Samsung Ativ S. In cameras, you can have a standard 5 megapixel shooter like the Lumia 520 to a 8.6 megapixel Lumia 925 to a 41 megapixel Lumia 1020. Apple only offers one screen size, one camera and only now offers choice of colours.

If you don't like the iPhone aesthetically or it is unsuitable because its screen is too small, you're stuffed with Apple and that is how you can spot a clear design philosophy like Microsoft's, from a rigid one like Apple's. Unfortunately - and I mean unfortunately - Apple have failed to adapt this time.

If there was an award for "Shot in the head without leaving any blood stains" you'd grab it ;)
Great post.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
So while I'd love to have the fully-featured iPhone and all the apps, it's those things which are keeping me in the WP-land. Bottom line is the WP start screen reflects my personality and any iOS screen just makes me feel like I'm another i-Drone.

Note: I use iOS on the iPad.
A phone start screen reflects a person's personality? Care to explain?

iloveamystery

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
You seriously dont believe that?

WP has live tiles. It's not some static set of icons.

The arrangement of the Start Screen often shows what interests a person has in a very active way.

You can make the same argument for what apps are on the home screen of iOS vs. what's on the secondary screens. The fact that the tiles are live doesn't mean the person is any different than if that same individual had those same apps organized similarly on an iPhone. There are only a few instances, like being able to pin important people to the start screen in WP, that I would say might give anybody an idea of what the user finds important.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
You seriously dont believe that?

WP has live tiles. It's not some static set of icons.

The arrangement of the Start Screen often shows what interests a person has in a very active way.
You can look at my iOS homescreen and judge what kind of interests I have. Don't fall for every nonsense they feed you in ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3