Very unimpressed by iOS 8...

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Great update by Apple now let's see how can android compete with ios.sorry android you are going to be hurt the most in high end.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I am watching WWDC 2014 live and I must say, I really expected Apple to pull a bigger refresh...

I don't know how much bigger an update they could have done. This is at least as big as WP8.1, probably bigger when all the related pieces are totted up. Last year's iOS7 was a bit of a disappointment, but in retrospect it was their WP7->WP8 style transition where everything was going on under the hood (going from 32 to 64 bits). As big as WP8.1 was, it's pretty clear that Microsoft is still just treading water. I'm curious how much of iOS8's sheer magnitude is due to Apple's new programming language - it hasn't been released into the wild yet but I'd be very surprised if they haven't been using it in-house for awhile now. Objective-C was a stone-age programming language with some good ideas under the hood; their new Swift language looks like it keeps the underlying goodness and yanks the rest of the language forward into the modern era alongside C# and Java.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
What's impressive about WP8.1 (Genuine question) cause most of the features(all of them actually) are available on other OSes.
I love WP very much, but you have to be realistic. iOS8 is really great

What's impressive about WP8.1, download the DP and find out for yourself.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Lol what? The biggest thing that I hear people talking about is predictive text. PREDICTIVE TEXT. My 3 year old Android had that. Its a solid update, no doubt, but nothing very impressive.

I can go one better than that, my HTC Desire had predictive text and that's, what, 5 years old!!!

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I'm sure the 5% of the planet with a Mac will be happy. Unfortunately, they are a small minority.
So if MS implements it, it would be exactly the same just on opposite ends since only 5% of people worldwide use WP. Unfortunately, they are a small minority.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I think iOS8 brings some innovative things, but I wouldn't say it blows the integration of WP8.1 out of the water. Again, 8.1 is fresh too. They are releasing the DP of iOS8 later this month. WP8.1 just got another update today. Where iOS8 took the iphone isn't as far as WP8.1 took WP. Again this is no knock on iOS or anything Apple. My whole point with them has always been price point. Who cares if you can call on an iPad to an iPhone if only the top 15% of society can afford it? Why call when you can facetime, Skype, or Whatsapp anyway? Wait, that's because most of the market outside the US uses those applications and that's why iOS8 isn't going to matter in Asia, or Europe as much as Andriod or WP. Being able to respone directly from the notifcation center is cool, but with live tiles I feel like you already have better method. I like how you can double tap the control button and it'll open the last app you were at, but you could do that anyway via another method. I can understand people being a little underwhelmed considering how hush, hush, Apple had been. Still it's a nice OS update and will give the fans of Apple a continuation of what they have come to expect. A polished and refined OS. the question is how many fans will they continue to have.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
So if MS implements it, it would be exactly the same just on opposite ends since only 5% of people worldwide use WP. Unfortunately, they are a small minority.

Yeah... Exactly.... That was my point. Anything Mac-specific is only as good as anything Windows Phone specific. For example, the WiFi sense thing that allows me to share my WiFi without a password is cool, but I don't know anyone with a Windows Phone that well, so its useless to me. I'm not sure what your point is.

Jeroenvk94

May 30, 2014
Visit site
iOS is too expensive if you take a price/quality comparison. It makes no sense paying 800? for an iPhone which actually has the same functions as a decent Windows Phone running 8.1 which may cost ?500.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
iOS is too expensive if you take a price/quality comparison. It makes no sense paying 800? for an iPhone which actually has the same functions as a decent Windows Phone running 8.1 which may cost ?500.

That means to an extent all flagship Windows phone can be compared to low end Windows phone except for camera.yet people buy flagship wp devices.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I am watching WWDC 2014 live and I must say, I really expected Apple to pull a bigger refresh... same with OS X Yosemite... please share your ideas :)
If you've been with apple for any length of time then you know shouldn't be unimpressed. This update is about as mediocre as all the pretty updates they've had over the past few years. IOS 6 is probably the last good OS. Everything else has been weak features and a complete ignore of features people really want.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
That means to an extent all flagship Windows phone can be compared to low end Windows phone except for camera.yet people buy flagship wp devices.

I mean, yeah, its true. You get pretty much the same experience across the board. That's what makes WP so great. I could easily live with a 520, but I like the awesome camera and nicer screen and the other, better specs, so I buy flagships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)