Very unimpressed by iOS 8...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Most people brought up in the WP experience don't use the actions center as a primary notication point, but a primary access point. Live tiles provides a lot of what the new widgets for the notificatons center for iOS8. I can already respond from the action center, but I can also respond from the people hub. MSFT has been developing universal apps that coexist on WP and Windows. Can you buy apps that work on your iPhone and work on your Mac? Do you have to pay for the OS X variant? MSFT is bridging the cap between WP and Windows. WP was smart to release the DP for 8.1 for anyone who had a developer account because they knew people would get a chance to use it while pushing out updates like today. We wouldn't look at it as updates to an existing OS, but refinments to an upcoming OS that is still pretty much in beta (I know the 630 and 530 are out with WP8.1) So WP is basically showing the hand they want you to see while continuing to refine WP8.1. MSFT has already established alliences with companies specializing in home appliances controlled by Cortana, who even in beta stands toe to toe with Siri, and you can get her on any WP with the update. Like I've stated before, Apple has established a reputation for excellent products and services. It's just that you're going to have to pay a price for them, and I don't see the worth when there are other viable options out there.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't have said it better... but still wish Microsoft world play a last cats and support 3rd party keyboards (not that I have any problem with the Microsoft Keyboard) Also they should integrate the WP platform even more with the Windows platform just like Apple is doing. ..

I actually don't... Purely for aesthetic purposes.

drankurn

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
FYI, I have been WP user since Focus days..
I really don't get this ios hate, I think this update is probably biggest since the first iphone. sure it does not have a lot of user centric features right now, but i thinks it's all about giving devs the power to really push the use/feature set. just think about all the possibilities with Honekit, Healthkit, Notification widgets, Touch id API, etc.
You have to also remember that Devs/Companies really will/do adopt things when Apple offers it and that in turn leads to general population.
MS/Nokia is really in trouble in this sense, how many apps do we have that takes advantage of Wallet integration or the Live tiles or the new Sensor Core.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
There's no question, these iOS and OS X updates are significant and substantial. Anyone looking at technology from an objective point of view has to admit this.

Whether they are truly innovative is another question.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 via Tapatalk

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Maybe you guys impressed because it's new for apple but the new IOS isn't cutting it to me. At the end of the day IOS 8 pretty much fixed a few of the many things previous IOS versions got wrong and added gimmick features to compensate for the ones it didn't.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I think iOS8 looks very good. There are so many features in iOS that are lacking in Windows Phone. I am a diehard MS user (surface, win8, wp8.1 lumia 1020 etc etc), but if Apple releases a larger screened iPhone I will have to consider it. I wish I didn't have to type that last sentence but Windows Phone is struggling to keep up.

TheMightyCraken

May 6, 2014
Visit site
What makes you think apple won't deliver?

To keep it short, experience... my parents refuse to get anything other than iMacs(this I'm sure I'm gonna have a go on OS X Yosemite)... This is totally my opinion but most of the time the Apple stuff is never as good as you see it on the website or adverts and WWDC... BTW I'm totally open to your opinion :)

HAMEDACC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
iOS (Apple) is going to gain more functions But Loosing its Simplicity
new features are great, but cost loosing its minimal Design (for example: multitasking favorite contacts)
I saw many great features and also saw sacrificing unique minimal design
But as I said in the other thread I will purchase it

TheMightyCraken

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Personally I think iOS 8 isn't much of a step forward as WP's 8.1 upgrade...I think the best new feature is the 3rd party keyboards support ( REALLY wish Microsoft world flip it's last card and add support for 3rd party keyboards)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Attending a phone call from an iPhone on your Mac. Do that with your Windows Phone/Windows 8.1.

Project My Screen?

anyway, I'm not interested in this thing that runs on a way overpriced stuff which a lot of people worship
but yeah, it's a big slap to Microsoft... they need to speed up!

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
iOS 8 just blew WP8.1 out of the water and I'm a MS fan.
Be real man, iOS8 is HUGE

I have to agree. iOS 8 is a pretty massive update, now that Apple is done with redesigning all the OS elements and being able to focus on the OS core and features themselves. iOS 8 is indeed huge.

However, I also don't think it's as damning as some would like to make it out to be. Many of the new features I've seen launched "steal" (I use that word tentatively, because innovation is all about stealing from those before and improving upon it) WP8/8.1 features. This means that, in many regards, iOS 8 is being forced to play catch-up. (I.E: Swype keyboard [Which we kinda stole from Android third-party keyboard makers], the ability to more easily attach your location, voice messages, etc., in iMessage, Improved Spotlight Search + Siri Integration, deeper OS level Share Pages and other functionality, iCloud Drive, etc..)

Yes, iOS 8 is a bit ahead of us in several regards now. Only a fool would deny this. But I reiterate that this isn't the end of WP. Several headline grabbing features, such as actionable notifications, were in early builds of WP8.1, and some (again, citing actionable notifications) made it as far as the 8.1 SDK-Preview before 8.1 was officially announced at BUILD. They were almost-ready, but had to be cut at the last minute due to time constraints. Unfortunate, yes, but just like the FM Radio app with WP8: It seems entirely possible these features that were close-but-didn't-quite-make-it could be released with a future GDR update. Definitely by April 2015's "Threshold" update.

So yes, iOS 8 and OSX 10.10 do indeed introduce some incredible new features, and are in many ways ahead of Windows and Windows Phone 8.1 (especially the whole answer phone calls and text messages on OSX, which it was much rumored Microsoft would be the first to do this). So yeah, they are ahead, but my friends: this isn't the end. We aren't nearly as desperately behind as we once were, and the morale in Redmond is the highest it's been in years. So I have faith that this new, overly exaggerated feature gap, won't last for long at all.

So let's not run around like a bunch of headless chickens just yet. What Apple has announced today isn't really damning at all, considering that were aren't extremely far behind, and of course the fact that Apple and Microsoft compete in very different markets with very different strategies. So lets all take a chill pill, read a book, ride a bike, swim a couple laps, run a marathon, pet a cat, kiss a girl, provide tech support for Grandma, edit some photos, plant a tree, etc. etc.: And not flip out over something that just isn't worth flipping out over.

[/Essay]

phatboy66

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I think Apple made some great improvements with iOS 8 and also with all the integration stuff and I think it will be increasingly harder for current iOS users to ever switch to the windows phone ecosystem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb