iOS with MS apps

Radecho007

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I think I'm finally ready to switch. I'm tired of feeling like a third class citizen when it comes to apps and app support. That being said how is the MS experience in the iPhone? I know most apps are there including Cortana in the future but how well do they integrate? For example can I sync photos to OneDrive? How about support for exchange server?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Well using Android it's pretty good. I don't use exchange server so I can't comment on that but for the rest of the apps they're all identical in capabilities as they are on WP and they even look better in my opinion.

I can't see iOS being worse than Android personally.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I think I'm finally ready to switch. I'm tired of feeling like a third class citizen when it comes to apps and app support. That being said how is the MS experience in the iPhone? I know most apps are there including Cortana in the future but how well do they integrate? For example can I sync photos to OneDrive? How about support for exchange server?

This is both peculiar and interesting; you'll be moving out of MS phones but will still be looking for MS services on a different platform. Why not stay with MS phones in the first place? Sure at the current state of affairs MS doesn't, or rather couldn't, provide "first class citizen" requirements when it comes to apps and app support. But remember that MS is currently busy with Windows 10 development... and handling thousands of feedback on a daily basis is not an exact science and it is far from being easy.

I believe MS is working on something great. They're "invading" other platforms by releasing apps and Cortana to them. Now it is known that MS gathers feedback through Cortana... hence that move would effectively be enabling MS to gather information from rival markets - which I think is a brilliant idea. One may argue that well, MS needs the data since the market share is not as big, but data from Android + iOS + MS is definitely bigger than either Android or iOS alone.

I won't try to convince you to stay, but perhaps you may want to reconsider.. at least staying until W10 arrives in full.:cool:

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
I doubt you'll have any issues. IMHO, I don't blame you. Apple has some great products. I'm not crazy about isolated storage, the lack of a removable battery and the lack of SD support, and I hate the iPhone 4 series, but if you can live with those things it isn't a bad phone and preferable to Android. For me. Your experiences may vary.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
This is both peculiar and interesting; you'll be moving out of MS phones but will still be looking for MS services on a different platform. Why not stay with MS phones in the first place? Sure at the current state of affairs MS doesn't, or rather couldn't, provide "first class citizen" requirements when it comes to apps and app support. But remember that MS is currently busy with Windows 10 development... and handling thousands of feedback on a daily basis is not an exact science and it is far from being easy.

I believe MS is working on something great. They're "invading" other platforms by releasing apps and Cortana to them. Now it is known that MS gathers feedback through Cortana... hence that move would effectively be enabling MS to gather information from rival markets - which I think is a brilliant idea. One may argue that well, MS needs the data since the market share is not as big, but data from Android + iOS + MS is definitely bigger than either Android or iOS alone.

I won't try to convince you to stay, but perhaps you may want to reconsider.. at least staying until W10 arrives in full.:cool:

It's not that straight foward you know.

Just because they want to use MS services still doesn't mean WP has everything they need NOW in a smartphone so sometimes 'sticking around and waiting' is not an option.

W10 is a beginning and nobody, not even MS knows how successful this venture will be. So to say great things are happening is not really telling the truth. It's a waiting game and it might not be until 2017 before WP becomes 'better'.

Having the MS apps on other platforms gives people options and gives MS customers still. So they win either way. The only loss is to WP or Windows for mobile.

Radecho007

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I just don't see the situation changing any time soon. Windows 10 might be that but it won't be for at least another 1.5-2 years until we start to see traction if any. By then I'll be ready to come back to a new Lumia flagship

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I'd think they would be rock solid - because there is a huge user base. They can't afford to screw that up. And MS is all about providing services!

When you make the jump - let us know how it goes?

Mr. V

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Sure at the current state of affairs MS doesn't, or rather couldn't, provide "first class citizen" requirements when it comes to apps and app support. But remember that MS is currently busy with Windows 10 development... and handling thousands of feedback on a daily basis is not an exact science and it is far from being easy.

Yup, it's always "wait"! And what about in the meantime?

If he stays in Microsoft's services on an iPhone, it will be simple to move back to WP at a later date. Also, there are services smartphone users use that are not Microsoft which WP cannot accommodate, such as Snapchat or a couple big bank apps.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

I did exactly what you are thinking of doing 3 weeks ago. If you are interested in my experience, check this out:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/as...ne-wp-iphone-still-using-all-ms-services.html

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Radecho007

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I'd think they would be rock solid - because there is a huge user base. They can't afford to screw that up. And MS is all about providing services!

When you make the jump - let us know how it goes?

Mr. V

It would have to be the iPhone 6.. Now I just need to decide if $700 is worth it. But I'll report back. I'm sticking around since I still have the sp3 and Xbox one :)

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
I honestly think they should at least be given until Windows 10 is finished to make up your mind.

Yeah but Microsoft is already delivering a good experience on iOS and Android. If they're already considering giving up the attributes of Windows Phone for iOS it is not as though Windows 10 will change their mind. Its not like Linux, where people switched back once Windows 7 came out.

The app gap will not close overnight with Windows 10, nor in a year, or even 2 or 3 years. Windows 10 will just deliver a cleaner experience, and tighter integration, for everyone that is already invested. You're either in or out at this point. Every app worth having is already on 8.1. A few social media and entertainment hold outs, but no one really needs those anyway.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
This is where I am. On both iOS and Android, I use Microsoft services. I can ride my bike with any of my phones and I can see the activity on any of the phones using Health and Fitness.

I use Acompli for my email needs, OneNote, OneDrive for storage, etc. On any platform.

I have three Windows phones, two Android, and now just one iPhone (was two, but gave one to my mother)

And the Microsoft Office for iPhone is a LOT better than both Android phones and Windows phones.

Sent by my Honor 6

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
The only advantage of Windows Phone at this point is that Android and iOS do not have integration with OneDrive's Music folder. Of course you can still do it the old fashioned way and use third party apps, but you can't do it though Xbox Music. That may change. I actually hope that it doesn't change, but Microsoft has been known to sacrifice pieces on the chess board in the past.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I did exactly what you are thinking of doing 3 weeks ago. If you are interested in my experience, check this out:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/as...ne-wp-iphone-still-using-all-ms-services.html

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

THIS is the kind of post that is helpful to a person who asked a question. Bang. Answered it quite well.

No name calling (so far) in this thread with minimal whining. Glad to see the change of pace.

While I prefer the Windows Phone for the experience, and apparently the OP did as well, I am not one in need of the apps available on other platforms, as I have what I need on the WP. However, a person simply has to use the tool that best suits the job.

Best of luck to the OP, whatever you decide. Just make sure your decision is well informed, and you're properly budgeted for any such expenditure. Never decide to do something because you want what your friends have, or because you think it's cool, but because it is what you need and you know it will meet your needs.

Enjoyed reading the thread.

Williams_810

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I made the switch to iOS just last month; my friend had made a pretty good point when he said, "Everything works better on iOS and Android."

For consideration, the Microsoft apps I used and/or checked out ? Microsoft Office Mobile, Outlook, etc. ? all provide a cleaner, more refined, and more sophisticated user experience than the Windows Phone equivalent on my Lumia 925, which I still have.

Also, there's the obvious bump up in app availability that iOS devices in general have over Microsoft's offerings; it's here, where after the former's figurative punch-in-the-face comes a hard jab to the stomach, expressed through the latter's extensive third-party app support (Rudy Huyn, Daniel Gary, and others).

As others have pointed out, Windows 10 Mobile should be able to finally address some of the major criticisms that Windows Phone possibly faced as far back as its "WP7" days, especially if that "Continuum" project works out well.

However, you wouldn't be wrong for ultimately deciding to make the jump to an iPhone, if that's what you want to do. You likely won't miss a thing.

b0blight

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Ahh well, I can't comment much on how MS Apps work on iOS, but what I can tell the OP is, its okay to make the switch. Nothing wrong with trying out something new. Theres no harm in using a Windows Phone/iOS/Android device, I mean its our personal choice right ?

Btw, this is one of the nicer threads here I saw which talks about people wanting to switch minus all the hostility. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel