I've decided we should all be Iphone users

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I saw that all of my sons' friends are using Iphones. Even one pf them has an SE. So, I wrote this: Is the Iphone the Future of Mobile? – Is the Iphone the Future of Mobile? – The Perfect Reign

f2L2Yiy.jpg

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Actual installed userbase of win10m is 1-2.5%. Markertshare is 0.5-1%. Very different things. Essentially, a lot more people HAVE windows phones than are currently buying them new. Last measured in the US I believe win10m, as 2.5%, if you look it up, the installed userbase.

Lot of phone fans have gotten really confused on that. It's actually quite hard to measure the number of actual users. Marketshare literally just means the share of new devices sold each quarter, which considering slowing growth and device turnover, is tiny in proportion to existing phone users.

My mum has a gingerbread android phone she's only JUST looking to upgrade to give you an idea. I'm replacing my 2013 released midrange phone, brought secondhand/refurbished in 2015, with a refurbished win10m 2015 flagship phone purchased just now in 2017.

Last edited:

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Also what is it with US teenagers? They use chromebooks when the rest of the world largely doesn't. They are all on snapchat when it hasn't really taken off anywhere else. And they now also all use iphones?

This is just getting really weird now. Only 55% android? 60% of schools chrome? Most under 25s using snapchat. This is just really idiosyncratic. It's like the country is becoming is own corporate island, with tech trends completely detached from the globe as a whole.

Can you imagine how weird the world would be if it was ONLY the us using snapchat, iPhone and chromeOS?

How does this even happen?

Oh, and lastly, given the US is a bastion of iPhone - wouldn't they be happy if qualcomms legal action against apple to ban importation of iphones was upheld! (apple owes a massive amount to QUALCOMM it refuses to pay). Blackmarket iPhone 8s?

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Also what is it with US teenagers? They use chromebooks when the rest of the world largely doesn't. They are all on snapchat when it hasn't really taken off anywhere else. And they now also all use iphones?

So some Windows phone users say they use them because nobody else does, because they're not "following the crowd". Based on that, shouldn't the US teenagers' choices of Snapchat and Chromebooks be a good thing? (tongue-in-cheek of course)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't know if I agree that we should all use them but it is pretty bad here (here meaning the US, I'll get to that shortly). Again, I don't know if I'm speaking for only my peers or if it's just a common thing, regardless of age group for what I'm about to say.

There's such a common assumption that everyone has an iPhone. When some people release podcasts, they only release it in the iTunes store. That grinds me so much because some people I like to follow, only choose to do it that way and I can't listen to their podcasts. SoundCloud is awesome.

FaceTime has become a thing to say for video chat. It's seen as the normal thing. Oh there's no FaceTime, maybe we'll Skype? Some of my peers feel some kind of way about chatting with someone with a green bubble via text.

A good number of people seem to know about Siri but not as many knew about Google Now/Assistant until Google Home came into the picture. I remember telling some people that they have Google Now (Ok Google) on their phones a year ago and they were shocked. They really thought that only Siri can do the whole "Hey (insert name here)" thing.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if I agree that we should all use them but it is pretty bad here (here meaning the US, I'll get to that shortly). Again, I don't know if I'm speaking for only my peers or if it's just a common thing, regardless of age group for what I'm about to say.

There's such a common assumption that everyone has an iPhone. When some people release podcasts, they only release it in the iTunes store. That grinds me so much because some people I like to follow, only choose to do it that way and I can't listen to their podcasts. SoundCloud is awesome.

FaceTime has become a thing to say for video chat. It's seen as the normal thing. Oh there's no FaceTime, maybe we'll Skype? Some of my peers feel some kind of way about chatting with someone with a green bubble via text.

A good number of people seem to know about Siri but not as many knew about Google Now/Assistant until Google Home came into the picture. I remember telling some people that they have Google Now (Ok Google) on their phones a year ago and they were shocked. They really thought that only Siri can do the whole "Hey (insert name here)" thing.

Apple (Steve Jobs) was a marketing genius. Their commercials and advertisements entrench them into our culture so, when people think of smartphone, they think of iPhone. It was especially smart to get the kids using them because now they have customers for life. That along with exceptional customer service is a winning combination.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Exactly what I'm thinking.

I'm sitting in a SCCM training. My Microsoft engineer is rocking a black Iphone 6S Plus. Nice device.

Sent from mTalk

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
I sold phones for 4 years, kids get iphones because they already have ipods or ipads, and they're easier to lock down and secure with parental controls and track via find my iPhone. Teenagers get them to be "cool", they need to do what everyone else is. Almost all teens got iPhone or galaxy because they are trendy and in style. Bunch of elderly people got them because the grand kids said so.

Age 20 to 50 people still buy iPhone, but more bought Android. People actually think for themselves and look at the features and price of the device.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

That's crazy to hear about :p

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Age 20 to 50 people still buy iPhone, but more bought Android. People actually think for themselves and look at the features and price of the device.
...and there's my point. While the vast majority of people my age use the green robot, the opposite is true among the young. Those young'ns are going to become business owners, managers, and other decision makers. I wonder if they will stick with Iphone or move to Android.

My secretary uses an Iphone. When I asked her about it she indicated that her daughter bought it.

Sent from mTalk

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Never! I'll continue using my L950 thank-you very much. And if that dies and I can't get a new replacement, I'll get a second-hand one, there are loads on Ebay. Lumia forever! :wink:

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
...and there's my point. While the vast majority of people my age use the green robot, the opposite is true among the young. Those young'ns are going to become business owners, managers, and other decision makers. I wonder if they will stick with Iphone or move to Android.

My secretary uses an Iphone. When I asked her about it she indicated that her daughter bought it.

Sent from mTalk

Those same young US teenagers that made twitter a success, and then abandoned it en masse for snapchat? Who made yolo the most annoying thing ever, and then abandoned it?

Teenagers, fickle as ever.

It's hard to tell what they will stick with. But I don't think traditional slab phones will be much of "a thing" by the time they are all in business, assuming they are in business. No doubt it'll be AR, voice, folding tablets, watches, earpeices etc by then. The pocket slab is undoubtably a limited lifetime FF, as are its specific app platforms. The apple brand of course will no doubt transmute, transform and endure.

But If they are all middle age folk using iphones for business in ten or twenty years, there is then by correlation zero chance the teenagers of that day will want anything to do with the platform. That's how fashion generally works = avoid like the plague anything your parents do.

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site

Hey, I consider that the "features" of Android sometimes are overblown. I went from WM to iOS because I could not stand the Google way of trying to link everything to your gmail, the idea that you are exchanging all the time your information for "free services", and the stupid fragmentation of the OS. :angry:

IMHO most android manufacturers bombard you with brand new shine things, that leave unsupported quickly. Then you need them to update a f##$%&n useless skin and they take 6 months. And then maybe the carrier also wants to play 133t programmer and also makes actually worse. :eck:

I actually considered waiting for a Nokia with almost stock Android, but I read too much about all the sync issues with Exchange accounts. I did not want to sync all the content to gmail, and I cannot afford to lose any data after 14 years of collecting it. And the Outlook application is just a partial fix, as it is not so integrated into the core system. :crying:

So, in the end, what is a feature depends on each user. Of course, most people will just follow the trends without asking why, but that doesn't mean that the product is inferior per-se. I would have loved to stay in WM, but well... MS left it behind to probably focus in using the whole W10 in a mobile device.

Until then, I will continue with iOS (with a critical approach... Apple allow to put the damn widgets everywhere in the OS!!!).

ps: I cannot sleep today :( , lets see if typing this helped...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3