Why are we not seeing Windows 10 Laptops with built-in global LTE radios?

SStraface

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
WiFi is not everywhere and even when you are offered it, it is often too slow to use. Without VPN, and all its issues, using public WiFi it is simply too dangerous. So, why are we not seeing laptops with global LTE radio built in (rather than through an external radio device)?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
WiFi is not everywhere and even when you are offered it, it is often too slow to use. Without VPN, and all its issues, using public WiFi it is simply too dangerous. So, why are we not seeing laptops with global LTE radio built in (rather than through an external radio device)?

you mean it can use a sim card?

I think some of the newer devices have options for sim card slot like the surface line

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Primarily it's down to user demand, as it stands it's a still a niche market however OEM's do understand that there are people who wish to have such a feature and that certain corps require it for always-on-the-go connectivity. Thus certain models have that option albeit at a cost prohibitive price... if you need this particular feature then you're best bet is to order directly from the OEM's website.

Also when you throw into the mix that OEMs are happy to churn out an insane array of laptops; which prior to the surface line were extremely mediocre... so if you churn out a thousand laptops per month for example then each cost per component adds up to alot. Don't forget LTE radio devices also do need to be certified.

TLDR, supply and demand + scale of economics = why OEM's don't sell this feature as standard.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Then having options for sim card slot should not be an exception but the norm

Cellular coverage far surpasses any other type of coverage whether it is wifi or LAN or cabled or fibre. It should be obvious that cellular works in most parts of the world

I can get reception on my phone on top of a mountain but no wifi in the middle of the city - that's how far cellular has come

It may be expensive depending on the data bundle plans but for emergency work, it's excellent

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I would rather have a separate hotspot device from my desired carrier. That way its not JUST for my laptop. It can power it on, then connect my laptop, tablets, etc.

Much like my Lumia 950xl, with wifi hotspot tethering.

Yes, having lte built into the laptop is nice and give it hotspot capability, but sometimes you don't want to lug it around or its too slow to power up and uses too much juice.

So instead of paying $80-$100 a month for a dedicated LTE line for my laptop, I pay $20-30 extra a month on my phone bill.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I would rather have a separate hotspot device from my desired carrier. That way its not JUST for my laptop. It can power it on, then connect my laptop, tablets, etc.

Much like my Lumia 950xl, with wifi hotspot tethering.

Yes, having lte built into the laptop is nice and give it hotspot capability, but sometimes you don't want to lug it around or its too slow to power up and uses too much juice.

So instead of paying $80-$100 a month for a dedicated LTE line for my laptop, I pay $20-30 extra a month on my phone bill.

having LTE or the capability to insert sim cards in a laptop as per my opinion is not about creating hotspots but using cellular data which in most parts of the world is more common than wifi or dedicated cable

In my country, I can buy a SIM for 1$, and buy data bundles/packs as high as 30GB for 90$ if I so wished. And I can access interne wherever I go with my laptop instead of worrying about where I will find wifi or cable.

Cellular data bundles have come down in cost quite significantly and though local networks still impose data limits, sometime these limits will be insignificant in the future

NHUK

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I agree entirely. If I have a tablet, smartphone, laptop it makes no sense to me to have multiple sims and buy duplicate data bundles. Makes much more sense to have one mifi device (be it smartphone tether or dedicated device) that I can connect all my devices to. One account, one data bundle, one set of authentication details etc etc.

Second best option would be multiple cellular connections that could be linked to a single user account?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire