Project Astoria - For emulating Android apps

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
With the lack of windows mobile apps and companies no longer maintaining or removing their apps for windows mobile, it makes more sense for project astoria (for emulating android apps) to be restarted.

Why was it removed in the first place? According to Microsoft's Project Astoria and Android app emulation not happening anytime soon | Windows Central it states that it "undercuts window developers and would have little reason to make native windows apps" - but they not making native window apps at all, so what is the problem?

Finally, would project astoria ever get open sourced?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I missed out big time. Is there any other way to sideload an app? I mean they even give you the developer setting option your phone!

You can install appx files from the phone. Other windows phone/windows mobile apps can be side loaded from the portal page. There is also a command line tool I have used before, but it was over a year ago and do not remember the name atm.

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
You can install appx files from the phone. Other windows phone/windows mobile apps can be side loaded from the portal page. There is also a command line tool I have used before, but it was over a year ago and do not remember the name atm.

Do you know a page or website with instructions to deploy an app to my phone? Can't seem to find any, all the results lead to the now defunct Astoria. Thanks for the response btw.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
To be honest, I am not sure why win32 emulator would make any difference. I don't want a full windows desktop app running on my mobile phone. I just want mobile apps, and with 2.2 million+ android apps it makes sense to have an android emulator..
I wouldn't use a Win32 app on my phone when stand alone but rather when connected to a monitor and keyboard.

Of course, I could also just launch a virtual Azure Or otherwise hosted desktop and do the same.

Sent from mTalk

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
There's only one way to do that, that I know of. But I've never done it myself. You'd have to find a Lumia (not sure if it's limited to Lumias) or other windows 8 phone that can roll back or update to the TH2 release with the build version that includes the astoria libraries and code (Linux subsystem). I think there's obviously more to it than that, but from there you'd be able to run apk apps.

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss